GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my 2012 wing a few months ago and i'm thinking of putting a utopia backrest on it. They look nice but i'm concerned about the difficulty of mounting and dismounting with the backrest in place, since my legs don't work like they did when I was 20 years old. Can it be folded flat in the seat while you swing your leg over and then pull it back up while you strattle the seat? Or do you have to just "step over" the seat in order to get on and off?

·
Registered
563 Posts
It be folded flat in the seat while you swing your leg over and then pull it back up while you strattle the seat

·
Registered
535 Posts
I just put a Utopia backrest on my girlfriends Vulcan 900. Easy to install and folds flat forward. If you can read and follow directions it will be an easy install. They send you directions for your bike. Took me a little over 1 hour to do the install. You do need a staple gun, a sharp 6" knife, some common sense and minimum skill.

Greg

*I needed a staple gun to reattach the seat cover to the seat pan on the Vulcan.

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
I just put a Utopia backrest on my girlfriends Vulcan 900. Easy to install and folds flat forward. If you can read and follow directions it will be an easy install. They send you directions for your bike. Took me a little over 1 hour to do the install. You do need a staple gun, a sharp 6" knife, some common sense and minimum skill.

Greg
You don't need a staple gun for a GL1800, but you do need a long serrated bread knife (or a Rapala fillet knife might work). Watch the video on Steeve Sander's site (www.goldwingfacts.com) and go for it. Be careful of the heater wire, but I have yet to hear of someone cutting it.

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
You can do it! Once you get past the part of taking a (gasp!) razor blade to your beautiful saddle and then (gasp!) stabbing it with a serrated knife you should do fine.

Watch the videos a few times first. It really aint all that bad. I just don't want to have to do it again- I'm gray enough as it is!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Agree. Scary as heck while you are thinking about it and a breath-holding experience when you make that cut. But a really easy install, and the absolute best addition I have made to my Wing. I use the step-through method to get on.....and I've had both knees replaced. You can do it.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
folds flat if you need it. I stand on the peg and step over.

·
Registered
238 Posts
(I slip through, Greg

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Utopia backrest

I appreciate the information. Think I'll go ahead and get one. I tried out the advice about standing on the peg and "stepping thru" to get on and off. Very easy to do. Don't know why I never did this before.:shrug:

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I grab my right ankle with my right hand and step through with left foot on the ground.

Make sure you park in gear to keep the bike from rolling away while mounting.

·
Registered
654 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I received my Utopia in the mail today and installed it. You can fold it flat and swing your leg over or step through. It is not going to affect your ability to mount or dismount your motorcycle. It's the best farkle you will ever buy!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
The backrest can be laid over forward, but I prefer to keep the backrest tight so it doesn't lay over on its own. I have a trick right leg, so I mount the bike by holding to the left handlebar while stepping on the passenger floorboard with my left foot and swinging my right leg high and wide, over the backrest and place my right foot on the right rider peg, then move my left foot to the left rider peg. This works great for me because my legs are not very long in the first place. (29" inseam.) It took me awhile to get used to it, but it's second nature now.

Ride safely,
2W

·
Registered
1,326 Posts

·
Registered
2,488 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
At 63 I am not as flexible either and I have always grabbed my right ankle and helped it across with my backrest down. After reading the posts it seems that I need to give other methods a try, thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I mount the scoot from the right side. I find it's easier to lift my left leg and slide thru because the highest part of the seat at that point is closest. I should mention that I don't have a backrest on the Wing... yet, but do on my '06 RSMV.

·
Florida Moderator
4,617 Posts
A little trick I learned after helping several buddies and installing my own backrest....use an electric carving knife. Much quicker without the ragged hole caused with the manual method, and much easier to get the hole lined up with the bracket.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts