GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on taking my wife to Dawsonville,Ga in July to the Kangaroo Conservation Center. Is it worth the trip? :wrong: She loves animals so it will be.:excited:
It is a 5 1/2 hour drive about 295 miles from our home according to Google maps so I most likely leave the day before we actually plan to visit the center.
My questions are: where would be a good place to stay, nice place to eat and other attractions or roads to ride while in the area. We have never been in this area so any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Hwy 400 at Hwy 53 near Dawsonville might offer some hotels. Or, Dahlonega is a much better choice in my opinion. Hwy 19N to Hwy 60N all the way to Hwy 76 (515) is one of our best roads, Then on up to Blairsville and back on 129S. Or you could go to Helen and Brasstown Bald. Both not far from Dahlonega. Richard B Russel Parkway is a great road off of 129 then180. That's Hwy 348. Hwy 60 and the RBR(348) are not for the faint of heart......they are curvy, and can be nasty. Check out ur google for that area. Most any of those roads around Dahlonega are very good. I'd use Dahlonega as a starting point if it was me. The Cherohala is in the area....sorta, and is a great ride....especially when it's hot out.
The Smith House in Dahlonega has great food......family style dining......and lodging too I think. Plus there are several inexpensive hotels in the area.

Check out this link................http://www.google.com/maps?near=Dahlonega,+GA&geocode=&q=hotels&f=l&hl=en&sll=34.533691,-83.983274&sspn=0.105777,0.222473&ie=UTF8&z=12

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I stay in Dawsonville quite often. I was there last weekend. Then Comfort Inn is the nicest place to stay. The Best Western is a good second choice. I was there last weekend for $51 a night. Lots of food and stores in the area.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Steve S,
I have book marked the link you attached. I appreciate it. I am going to book mark this thread so I came come back to it so I can check out the possible roads you mentioned to ride.
We like the family style dining so the Smith House will be on our list of places to eat.

Ed,
Thank you also. I am going to check to see how far the Comfort Inn is from our destination. The first night I would rather or prefer to stay as close to where we plan to visit as we can. After that our agenda is wide open.
We have heard a lot about Helen so we may make our way there , along with explorings some of the routes Steve mentioned. I guess a GPS may also be in order in case I get lost.:eek:4:

Again thanks for the information.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
You'll love the Smith House. Plus Dahlonega is a very cool town, and popular with riders. You'll likely see lots of motorcycles around there on the weekends, but it'll be nice and quite during the week.

There are various routes out of there toward SC that may be of interests. Best bet is to Google map that area, and pick you one out. If you're staing to ride a day or two then your options are more open of course. Also for the wife......there is a huge outlet mall just south of that 400/53 intersection. For you both Long Horns is right across the street!!!:cool:

Enjoy.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also for the wife......there is a huge outlet mall just south of that 400/53 intersection. For you both Long Horns is right across the street!!!:cool:

Enjoy.
I am lucky my wife is not into shopping..that is why I am taking her to the Kangaroo Center, she love animals. This trip could also save me a trip to Australia ;)

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I am lucky my wife is not into shopping..that is why I am taking her to the Kangaroo Center, she love animals. This trip could also save me a trip to Australia ;)
Should do the trick. Thier brochure says it's the largest group of kangaroos outside of Australia.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Valley? What and where.......:shrug:

·
Registered
27 Posts
The Valley is short for Paradise Valley. A clothing optional resort/campground in the Dawsonville area. Kinda rustic and quiet during the week. You guys will love it. Have fun! John

·
Banned
1,247 Posts
bill's hometown

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Valley is short for Paradise Valley. A clothing optional resort/campground in the Dawsonville area. Kinda rustic and quiet during the week. You guys will love it. Have fun! John
I mentioned this to my wife. Went to their website. Clothing optional as much or not as you are comfortable.:22yikes: I was interested she said we would pass :shrug: I say never say never.;)

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I mentioned this to my wife. Went to their website. Clothing optional as much or not as you are comfortable.:22yikes: I was interested she said we would pass :shrug: I say never say never.;)
You can come to WingStock this year , clothing optioal if you like. We just love to laugh at these gatherings. :joke:

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
You can come to WingStock this year , clothing optioal if you like. We just love to laugh at these gatherings. :joke:
Well.......some of us do!!!!!!!!:shock:

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I checked and see no date and time has been set so far will have to keep checking back......;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts