GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Allright! I have my new Kumho RF 195/55/16 mounted on a spare wheel now.
Will the lay down method work ok for my installation?
The other question is, do I need to drain some gasoline first? I had just filled it up about 85 miles ago. I want to get this on the cycle tomorrow. Any other advice?
Thanks! JP

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Just mounted mine with back panel off and bike on a jack...was easy...and I did not have to pick the bike up then :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
tire change

Not sure about the gas thing. I think I would siphon down to half tank. For the change, just remove your right hi way peg if you have one, then loosen the wheel lug nuts, put down some carpet or cardboard and lay it over on the crash bars. Shove it up a little to get the center stand down which will get the wheel off the ground and take the nuts off and remove the wheel. Put the new one on and nuts back on snug. You can use the trans in low gear to torque to 80 lbs, then stand it back up. Done Takes about 15 minutes by yourself.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Agree with Gary4565. Just another tip. When you go to pick the bike back up, and if it is too difficult, you might try turning the bike own, put in neutral, lower pre-load to its lowest setting, put bike back in gear and then stand it up. The last one I did tried lower suspension to zero to begin with but had trouble getting new tire in. Don't know if it was just me or not but never had that problem before. So who knows. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
Just make sure gas cap is tight. My daughter when she was 17 picked up my 05 bike on a bet with buddy. Man I do love a free meal !!

·
Registered
571 Posts
The first time I did mine ,I had a full tank of gas too...no problem
or leak at all.
I had a flat yesterday and had it repaired, and didn't have
access to a compressor, so I wanted to put it on full of air....a fella on the board said he used wax paper too help slip it in....I didn't have
that either,,,so I used a plastic grocery bag...worked perfect.

No oils, grease, or mess of any kind. The tire had 38 lbs in it, I
let some out to 32...after the install.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Just make sure gas cap is tight. My daughter when she was 17 picked up my 05 bike on a bet with buddy. Man I do love a free meal !!
Don't ever make a bet with Rail and have food involved. It's a guaranteed loss for you!
Lay her over and shove that puppy in there!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
:agree: rail will do anything for food

1 - 8 of 8 Posts