GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gonna put a new Michelin Primacy tire to throw on later this month and was wondering what PSI you guys are running. Mostly will be one up and not scared to ride fast in twisties. Some riding will be 2 up also. Any advice?
Thanks
Fast Eddie

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Gonna put a new Michelin Primacy tire to throw on later this month and was wondering what PSI you guys are running. Mostly will be one up and not scared to ride fast in twisties. Some riding will be 2 up also. Any advice?
Thanks
Fast Eddie
Eddie,

I run mine at 32 psi.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I just replaced my Primacy Alpin with a new one after 21,000 miles! I might have been able to get another 1,000-2,000 out of it but Im planning a longer ride next month so why take a chance? I dont get real frisky in the twisties but don't mind scrapping a peg now and then. I ride some slab and some two-lane. I kept the pressure at between 29 and 31 psi and can say that the center wore more than the outer edges. Guess I better get over on those pegs more often! I love the tire for my style of riding. It will be my go-to tire for a long time to come. Hope this helps....Mac

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
32 is a good starting point. You'll need to adjust from there based on your riding style, riding weight, and the roads you travel.

I find 31psi single up with no luggage is good for me. Any lower and I can feel the sidewal flex to much in the corners. 1lb does make a difference. 2up and loaded with luggage, I run around 32-33psi.

The Pirelli and Kumho I ran at 28-29psi but the Alpin's a bit soft in the sidewall for me at those pressures.

I have about 30k on my current Alpin with 4/32 of tread depth left. Not a bad wearing tire. :thumbup:

Thanks
Fast Eddie

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Eddie,

Start at 32 if you get a wiggle or a line change mid corner bump up the pressure until it goes away.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
You will love the Michelin

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
Unless you live near Maggie Valley (or someplace like that) a fixed psi (i.e. 32) will prematurely wear out the center.

I use 27-28 for the flats of Florida in the winter..
(lots of two up lunch runs).

.. But, "Playing hard" in the Smoky's I use 34.
"Playing hard" for me is wearing out TWO Bridgestone 709's on the front in less than ten thousand miles..(rented a cabin for two months in Bryson City..
.. During that trip I wore out two fronts but was still on the same rear Michlin which already had 10k on it when I arrived) ..
..I actually like the Mich better after it got about 7k on it and rounded the edges down a bit).

About 15k on the Mich has been on back roads..
.. one trip to Rogers Arkansas and another to Rolling Thunder in D.C.
.. again, no need to over inflate.. 27-29 is fine for two up easy cruising on the hwy.

I've got over 27k on that same Michlin now and no plans to change it for the rest of the winter here in Florida although I'd put a fresh one on if I were going back to the Smoky's in the spring.

Dennis

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
28 PSI works best for me.

·
DSI Keeper
9,159 Posts
... Mostly will be one up and not scared to ride fast in twisties. ...

Your definition of riding fast in the twisties will determine what air pressure. If it is under 8/10ths then 32 or below like the others recommended will be fine. However, from my personal experience, if you try to go above 8/10ths, you will definitely have to raise the air pressure. I ran the one I had at 46 psi and no, the center didn't wear out first.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That's what I'm running.

I stared out @ 30 PSI, I thought to soften up the tire, then went up to 34 PSI and now I'm back to 30 PSI which seems to be the sweet spot for me. I've got about 14K on the tire so far and there isn't enough wear to make a call on uneven wear that I can tell.

And yes, I too like to kick it in the a$$ on the twisties at times. I'm very satisfied it the tire so far.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I tried from 25 to 40. 38 is the best for me. All lower psi felt to mushy.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Your definition of riding fast in the twisties will determine what air pressure. If it is under 8/10ths then 32 or below like the others recommended will be fine. However, from my personal experience, if you try to go above 8/10ths, you will definitely have to raise the air pressure. I ran the one I had at 46 psi and no, the center didn't wear out first.

I love riding with Murgie, or more accurately trying to keep up with him. But this pressure in the Michelin is not what anyone else runs in theirs, if I am not mistaken. But everyone should do what works for them, for sure.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
I too stay around the 27-29 psi. Works great for me in Canadian conditions and for just about everything that Florida can dish out!

·
Registered
17 Posts
32 for me when one up, 34 when 2 up and fully loaded. Am running a Bridgestone Potenza RFT.

I suggest setting it at 32 then putting a 1000 or so miles on it. It takes that long to really get used to the different feel of the car tire and to get your brain to shift away from thinking about the tire and back to just riding. After that I believe you will be better able to sense the affect of changes to the pressure.

·
Registered
938 Posts
With 13k on my Alpin it looks like the center was wearing more than the edges. Sounds like I'll back down from 32 to 29 psi. Thanks

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks
Fast Eddie
I ride mine at 32 and it looks new and it has 11000 miles on it.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Thanks
Fast Eddie
Lets hope you like the Michelin... I tried one after running a Dunlop DSST Runflat and I hated it..Had to run at least 34 cold to make it feel some what normal when playing hard..And still was not happy with it..Way to squirrely..Sold it on here with less than a 1000 on it...But each to their own.. some guys think it's great...Just was not for me..But back to your question to make it last on the slap your need to run it about half flat or you will wear the middle out..Some where around 28 psi..But for cornering 28 sucks..You need to be in the high 30's to make it feel reasonable..Really just depends on what you are looking for I guess..

·
Registered
219 Posts
Thanks
Fast Eddie

I run 35 in my primacy, got about 7k on the tire, and it still looks great. Been to the mountains a couple of times, and the tire worked fantastic.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts