GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need mirror glass for an '03 Wing.

Don't ask me why I need them so I won't have to lie to you! :)

I've got a line on the right side mirror. If that works out, I just need the left side.

Reply here or PM.

Thanks!

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have a new set of OEM mirrors taken from my '08. Price would be $35.00, including USPS Priority Mail shipping charges to you. Thanks.

Jim

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Don't ask me why I need them so I won't have to lie to you! :)
You thought you were still test riding Ken's Full Monty bike and took a corner a little too hot...
:popcorn:

You were lane splitting on the way home and tried to squeeze between two vehicles that were just a "tad" too close together...

You forgot to put the side stand down and dropped the bike on the left side. Then when you picked it up you over-centered and dropped it on the right side...

:lol:

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a new set of OEM mirrors taken from my '08. Price would be $35.00, including USPS Priority Mail shipping charges to you. Thanks.

Jim
Sold.

Where can I send you the funds and how do you want them - check, PayPal, wine?

Send me a PM.

Thanks!

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You thought you were still test riding Ken's Full Monty bike and took a corner a little too hot...

You were lane splitting on the way home and tried to squeeze between two vehicles that were just a "tad" too close together...

You forgot to put the side stand down and dropped the bike on the left side. Then when you picked it up you over-centered and dropped it on the right side...

:lol:
:)

Great - thanks for the laugh!

No, it wasn't anything that exciting though I will admit that I do have a nick mark on the left hand mirror from one lane sharing experience!

I did ride Bubba's 'Wing the other day. Big difference in handling. His 'Wing is newer but he also has Traxxion and a few other goodies. I wasn't going very fast but even on the streets in Tucson his bike felt much lighter than mine.

And dropping the bike — nah, nothing that simple!

More in a few minutes…

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, took a while. I was "AFK" last night (sort of) (AFC = away from keyboard)

And here's the rest of the story!

Over the weekend, I was visiting Bubba1 at his place in Tucson so that we could install a pair of incredible auxiliary lights. One of the compromises that we had to make was that I had to remove my Hand Wings to mount the lights, so I took out the bolts that hold the Hand Wings in the mirror assembly.

We buttoned everything up on Saturday evening and I headed home to Southern California on Sunday morning.

I got about a mile along the interstate and, when I looked over, my right hand mirror was gone. That surprised me 'cause there was no indication that anything was wrong but, as I was thinking, my 'Wing has 95,000 miles on it "so maybe something rattled loose…oh **** what was that?"

And I looked over at the left side mirror as it disappeared from view.

Then I had what is called a "blinding flash of the obvious" during which I realized that the reason why both of my mirrors were now in pieces on the interstate is that the bolts that I had removed when I took off the Hand Wings were the very same bolts that stopped the mirrors from falling out!

:)

Yup, a 450 mile journey home with no mirrors!

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ha ha ha ha...

Not a mistake you will make twice, I would wager, and a good reminder for the rest of us. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from the ether via Tapatalk
As it turns out, it was a cheap lesson.

Thanks to the folks on this Forum, I've been able to replace them for about $40.

You are very right — I darn sure won't do that again!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Since you and Ken didn't take any installation photos, how about some post-install shots so I can see how you mounted those puppies? Riding through Wyoming / Montana at 1-4 am for my BBG a few weeks back convinced me that I need some more night time illumination.

:22yikes:

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Since you and Ken didn't take any installation photos, how about some post-install shots so I can see how you mounted those puppies? Riding through Wyoming / Montana at 1-4 am for my BBG a few weeks back convinced me that I need some more night time illumination.

:22yikes:
Sure! I'm trying to line up a shot to compare them with a stock 'Wing but I'll get some pix in the next day or two if that falls through.

I got the lights from FutureVision

http://www.futurevisionhid.com/prod...lights/hid-auxiliary-projector-light-kit.html

My lights look just like pix that show the low beam with a sharp cutoff. Very bright and very well lit. I haven't installed a switch to activate the high beam function (I got the bi-xenon with 50 watt ballasts) but I expect that there will be scads of light, just like the pix on the site show.

What I've learned from my past two years of improving my lighting is that I should not have messed with a HID conversion kit. Instead, I should have gone with 80 watt rally bulbs and then a set of HID projector lights like I have now.

The HID conversion cannot give a focused bean the way that a projector does. I had a 50 watt FV HID conversion kit in my Wing and the light output from the FV's is much greater than from the HID conversion. I can't say that it's double the light because I haven't measured it but, to the naked eye, it's at least double.

With the FV's I can see the detail of an object that may be 30, 40, or 50 yards downrange. With the HID's I can see that something's there but there's nowhere near the clarity that I have with the aux lights.

Yup, aux lights and 80 watt rally bulbs. That will be my combo.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts