GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - We just realized what the "ting" was that we heard while riding the other day..... The mirror house is shake, shake, shaking now.

(2) of the (3) screws are present. We tightened the remaining 2 and now need to get a replacement for the missing screw.

Before I go get another screw that will drop out again, or require constant tightening, is there a smarter way??

thanks

·
Registered
307 Posts
:agree: Locktite for anything that seems to want to come loose. When I put a new farkle on I check the nuts and bolts after a bit of riding. If they even feel like they have loosened a hair, I put some medium hold lock tight on and redo the connection.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
strange thing is, we never had the housing off...

Will get the lock tight. Now to find out what size screw I need.

thanks

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
Dealer left it loose. Mounting the mirrors and housings is part of their setup on the wing. They are 5X20 mm with a lock washer.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The plot thickens!!!

The plot thickens.

The screw is still in place, but the head broke off. WTF!!! Now what?

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
If you undo the remaining 2 screws and remove the housing there will probably be enough thread sticking up for a pair of pliers to grab it. It should be loose as the tension is only on the head which is no longer there,
UNLESS, somebody used locktite on it!

Trev

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
LocTite will melt the plastic on our bikes, be very careful where and how you use it.

·
Banned
208 Posts
LocTite will melt the plastic on our bikes, be very careful where and how you use it.
Good point, I have used the loctite blue and red equivalent in the past from the Hobby Store (RC Cars) it does not break down plastics if it comes in contact with it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can see the top of the screw, nothing to grab.... it will need drilled out. Why is there always something stupid before a big trip??

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Whoever assembled my '09 at the dealer didn't use the screws for the mirro housing. Instead they put in bolts makes it much easier to get them tight and also with a little tape or a magnet insert it's much easier to get them started. Might give it some thought since you are going to replace one anyway.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I removed my mirrors and did not have a JIS screwdriver. Just a Snap On American Model.

There was powdercoating in the threads, not Locktite. I subsequently rounded out about half the screw heads and had to finally remove them with vise grips.

I ran a tap through them & replaced the screws with bolts, & Blue Locktite.

You might try a "Left Hand" drill bit. I have had some success with the bit grabbing and spinning the screw out. Of course you will need a reverse drill.

Be darn sure to file the broken nub flat if you can, before you start drilling. Start with a small drill and work your way up.

I am sure you know, The most important thing is to drill it on center.

Wish you good luck.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No, we did not remove whole mirror It is the top screw that is missing. While trying to verify the screw was lining up with the hole, I could see the broken / burred end of the screw where the head used to be.

My hubby does not want to deal with it. I think it's going to be an $80.00+ dollar screw. (addressed by the bike shop)

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
If you pull the whole assembly off, you will be able to grab the remaining screw and just unscrew it with vice grips. Save the money and just do it! :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Hello - We just realized what the "ting" was that we heard while riding the other day..... The mirror house is shake, shake, shaking now.

(2) of the (3) screws are present. We tightened the remaining 2 and now need to get a replacement for the missing screw.

Before I go get another screw that will drop out again, or require constant tightening, is there a smarter way??

thanks
Install with a little bit of blue loctite.
Kurt :thumbup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts