GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm ready to purchase a GPS for my 2016 and I'm leaning towards a LM595 from Garmin. Does anyone have issues with the screen getting washed out by the sun at certain times of the day? Can you still make out the map or is it completely washed out?

Can anyone tell me if the 2016 has a 1/8" audio plug under the left pocket which can be plugged into the GPS?
Dan

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I have a Grmin NUVI 765 and it is hard to see in direct sunlight, I have a glare reducing film on the screen, it helps some but I still have problems in bright sunlight. One thing that does help is to set the screen to be on the night time setting all the time, that seems to help the visibility a bit.

On my 2013 I had to use an adapter that the PO had installed in order to get audio to my head phones.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I'm ready to purchase a GPS for my 2016 and I'm leaning towards a LM595 from Garmin. Does anyone have issues with the screen getting washed out by the sun at certain times of the day? Can you still make out the map or is it completely washed out?

Can anyone tell me if the 2016 has a 1/8" audio plug under the left pocket which can be plugged into the GPS?
Dan
I love my 595LM.

Mine washes out. Even with a sun visor.

I end up just covering the top of the unit to tint the screen per se with my hand to take the sun out of the issue, and all is good. easy peasy....

I have a 2008 so I do not know about the 2016 audio plug concern. I don't know much about electrical so I had a buddy hook up the 595LM to the bike. I do know he went under the box on the left and used some electrical connection gizmo and just pinched wires in it and waaalaaa I have power to the GPS when I start the bike and I can listen through the bike audio...With that gizmo, no cutting of wires occurred.

Will be experimenting with wireless ear buds (ones that sit over the shoulder with buds reaching up into ears) coming in the mail. Goal is to still use my normal headset for CB use, while using the earbuds added in the ears to be able to use and talk on phone, when in a group ride for those not having a CB, and add some buffer for road noise. Goal is to have it all go through the GPS, including music in my phone all at the same time.

·
Vendor
181 Posts
Yes, the 2016 still has the AUX input under the left hand pocket. However, those bikes did not come with them, you will need to purchase an AUX cable. We have them for around $17 if you call us. We can also discuss your other options for getting the GPS audio into your sound system.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, the 2016 still has the AUX input under the left hand pocket. However, those bikes did not come with them, you will need to purchase an AUX cable. We have them for around $17 if you call us. We can also discuss your other options for getting the GPS audio into your sound system.
Thank you, I will call you.
Dan

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I love my 595LM.

Mine washes out. Even with a sun visor.

I end up just covering the top of the unit to tint the screen per se with my hand to take the sun out of the issue, and all is good. easy peasy....

I have a 2008 so I do not know about the 2016 audio plug concern. I don't know much about electrical so I had a buddy hook up the 595LM to the bike. I do know he went under the box on the left and used some electrical connection gizmo and just pinched wires in it and waaalaaa I have power to the GPS when I start the bike and I can listen through the bike audio...With that gizmo, no cutting of wires occurred.

Will be experimenting with wireless ear buds (ones that sit over the shoulder with buds reaching up into ears) coming in the mail. Goal is to still use my normal headset for CB use, while using the earbuds added in the ears to be able to use and talk on phone, when in a group ride for those not having a CB, and add some buffer for road noise. Goal is to have it all go through the GPS, including music in my phone all at the same time.

If you have a headset, why not just pair the phone with the GPS and dispense with the earbuds? I doubt you'll find having both in your helmet to be satisfactory.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
If you have a headset, why not just pair the phone with the GPS and dispense with the earbuds? I doubt you'll find having both in your helmet to be satisfactory.
I do not think the mic will work for the phone, even going though the GPS...will it? I think I need to add some do dad, and its not cheap...

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Trying to remember how I did it.... I put in an Edsets Bluestreak with a mike splitter, paired the phone with the Bluestreak, and use the headset mike for the phone... But that takes up with AUX port. Kennedy Tech makes a harness that lets you feed an audio out into the intercom. That how I hear my RD. But if you don';t use an RD, you could probably get the harness, feed the GPS into the intercom, the phone two-way into the Bluestreak, and you'd be set. Music off the bike or the phone via AUX, GPS directions via intercom. That should work. http://www.cellset.com. Call them up, tell them what you're trying to do, and he can tell you what parts you need and how to wire them up.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Trying to remember how I did it.... I put in an Edsets Bluestreak with a mike splitter, paired the phone with the Bluestreak, and use the headset mike for the phone... But that takes up with AUX port. Kennedy Tech makes a harness that lets you feed an audio out into the intercom. That how I hear my RD. But if you don';t use an RD, you could probably get the harness, feed the GPS into the intercom, the phone two-way into the Bluestreak, and you'd be set. Music off the bike or the phone via AUX, GPS directions via intercom. That should work. http://www.cellset.com. Call them up, tell them what you're trying to do, and he can tell you what parts you need and how to wire them up.
Hence the reason I will be trying the $29 bluetooth earbud for the phone use....and what ever else will play through it when I riding down the road. If it don't play through that, I will still have on my normal headset in the helmet for the rest.

·
Registered
601 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I called today and spoke to someone that was very helpful. He asked what I was hoping to accomplish and made some suggestions. The way he explained it made total since and I apricate his input.

·
Vendor
181 Posts
I called today and spoke to someone that was very helpful. He asked what I was hoping to accomplish and made some suggestions. The way he explained it made total since and I apricate his input.
I'm glad to hear that we were able to help you sort things out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts