GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old Nuvi 760 on my 2006 1800 has just died. I am looking for a replacement gps, but can't afford a Zumo and was wondering what other automotive gps other people are using on their GL1800's.

I would appreciate the gps holder #, so I can order the holder for my bike also.
Thanks in advance................
Mike

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
The Tom Tom 550 looks like a nice alternative and comes with a motorcycle mount. It is about half of the Zumo 595LM that I got.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've been living with a TomTom 550 since February as a result of the following thread on the adventure riders forum. The price had gone down on Amazon to $326 and so I pulled the trigger. It is now below $300. Let me start with what I like first.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/new-tom-tom-550-rider.1323790/

The screen is bright and crisp in any light. It never looks faded.

The documentation is excellent. With both an extensive pdf file and also videos on youtube.

The online software makes it extremely easy to create trips or rides with stops. The site on my XP computer is slow but go to google maps for your locations and then plug them in and it automaticly wifis to your gps.

I like the way it bluetooths to my speakers so I can hear the directions using this bluetooth gizmo. Link below.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013QJ0W8Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is very easy to set up by connecting it to the accessory connection in the fuse box with just two wires. It comes complete with everything you need to set it up on your Goldwing. The battery life is much longer than any Nuvi that I've ever had but it is so easy to set up it is a non-factor for me.

I like pinch and swipe.

What I don't like:

The screen is 4.3 inches which isn't a problem for me with the nuvi that I keep in my work van, but on the Tom Tom it is because the font is too small and some of the letters are hollow which makes them unreadable from the background.

When not in guidance mode, that is to say not actively giving directions, it provides much less on screen information than the 5 inch Nuvi I currently have on my bike. Again that information is also less readable than the info on my Nuvi because of the small font and hollow letters. In fairness I have a system that shields my Nuvi from all four sides making it readable but FADED in all light.

I don't like the POI feature because you have to type "restaurant" or whatever instead of just touching an icon as on my Nuvi. The POI search function has a not so bright small font on a black background making it difficult to read.

A funny story on this point. I was at a gas station and an old guy maybe sixty ish asked me for directions so I searched on my Tom Tom but I could not read the directions. So I apologized and asked him if he could read them and he couldn't either and he was wearing his glasses as was I. In fairness to the Tom Tom and the readability thing I'm 74. But the font size complaint is on the latter posts of the forum that I linked above. At 75 mph you are supposed to get your info at glance.

Another short coming is the Tom Tom does not give you your current coordinates as have all our Nuvis and we have had five. I feel this is important in the event of a breakdown.

I just wish Garmin would make a 5 inch Nuvi that was waterproof, as sun readable as the Tom Tom and bluetooth-able without all the gimmicks.

·
IronMan
17,636 Posts
Use your cell phone google maps - mapquest - maps on phone . I use phone for maps / music / tpms / calls

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Get a refurbished nuvi 2797. RAM makes a case mount for it. Search on YouTube for a guy named GPSKevin (I think) who has tips on waterproofing it with a bead of silicon around the screen. If you want audio integration hard wired to your bike (it does not do headset profile bluetooth, just phone) search "Greg Rice 2797" and there's a way to add an output jack if you or a friend are steady handed and can solder.

You can do the same retrofit to other nuvi models, just beware not all of them have the good wrap-around RAM case.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
The Nuvi 765 I keep on the bike started to get fog in the screen after a couple days on the road in the rain, no the unit is not water proof, but it is somewhat protected and when I have the presence on mind to remember I carry a zip lock bag with me that I can cover it with to keep it from getting soaked. So long story short, I got worried about it biting the bullet so I checked E-Bay and found a couple for around $20 to $30, ordered one, it is in perfect shape, biggest issue was it did not have lifetime maps so I had to pay Garmin $89.00 for another subscription, but hey I got a $300.00 GPS for about $110.00.
I will keep it in the trunk as a back up should the first one bite the big one some day.

Reactions: CAWing

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
As a side, I have the NUVI 760, and I also have the water "proof" RAM box with the clear vinyl cover that allows you to use the touch screen. No need for a ziplock bag. What I like about the NUVI760 is the satellite antenna jack on the back of the unit. With an external antenna plugged in, finding satellites is super fast and never an issue even in city canyons. I was able to find my NUVI as a factory "refurb" and it was a flawless like new unit. Look for factory refurbished units.

·
Registered
193 Posts
My old Nuvi 760 on my 2006 1800 has just died. I am looking for a replacement gps, but can't afford a Zumo and was wondering what other automotive gps other people are using on their GL1800's.

I would appreciate the gps holder #, so I can order the holder for my bike also.
Mike
I bought an old 760 last year, ( Brand New) on E bay to replace the one I had, mainly because it worked fine and I had all the mounting holders and hard wire.
Found it for $35 bucks if you can believe that.

·
Registered
221 Posts
When my Garmin Nuvi 760 started to fog up on me a few years ago. I started looking around and decided upon the Garmin 3590 LMT, and I tell you that I am glad that I did. With the 5 inch screen it is crystal clear to see and read, Occasionally I have to adjust it because of the sun, but that is rare. When I have it plugged in with the traffic receiver, the live traffic updates are awesome especially when going through a larger city or on the interstate slab. I was able to sync my phone to it and use the weather radar as well, which is nice. Very quick to acquire satellites and extremely quick when recalculating routes. Just a quick google search and here is link to it on Amazon, I am sure you could probably find it refurbished for a lot less.

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Portable-Bluetooth-Navigator-Lifetime/dp/B006SOLITY

And here is link to the ram mount/cradle that I am using as well.

https://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-garmin-nuvi-3550lm-and-3590lmt-series-cradle-ram-hol-ga53u

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the reply
I don't see the headphone jack port or whatever it is called. I am wondering how you plug in to the bike to hear your intercom and other audio that I listen to by plugging into this port.
Once again I thank you
Mike

·
Registered
193 Posts

Mike
Just last year my old 760 crapped out, I already had all the mounts and hard wiring on the bike and the 760 was a fine GPS for my needs.
Anyway I went to Ebay and found a Brand new 760, and best yet I got it for $35 bucks.
Ram mounts is what I use and you will need to know what gps you have that needs to be mounted.

PBR

1 - 13 of 13 Posts