GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next summer 6 of us will be taking a trip from Knoxville through New Orleans. Just staying one night.

I'm looking for someplace reasonable to stay. Would like not to get mugged or have our bikes broken into. At the same time be able to walk (or perhaps crawl) to and from the hotel to Bourbon street if possible. Last time I was there I paid a fortune and extra to park the bikes. Don't need anything fancy.

Or do you think it would be better to stay a little further and take a cab?

Can't say exactly when we are going. Probably sometime in June.

Any suggestions? :bow:

thanks

·
Registered
827 Posts
Next summer 6 of us will be taking a trip from Knoxville through New Orleans. Just staying one night.

I'm looking for someplace reasonable to stay. Would like not to get mugged or have our bikes broken into. At the same time be able to walk (or perhaps crawl) to and from the hotel to Bourbon street if possible. Last time I was there I paid a fortune and extra to park the bikes. Don't need anything fancy.

Or do you think it would be better to stay a little further and take a cab?

Can't say exactly when we are going. Probably sometime in June.

Any suggestions? :bow:

thanks
Me and a buddy and our wives were there last march, and were strongly advised not to stay overnight with the bikes.

·
Registered
93 Posts
New Orleans Trip

As a resident for over 50 years, I would say that staying one night is selling ones self very short. I would recommend at least 3 days. The summer is very hot and humid so be prepared if you are doing summers in the south to limit your riding time to no more than your physical condition can reasonably handle and of course HYDRATE.

Planning this far in advance is to your advantage. I would recommend staying at the Royal Sonesta Hotel on Bourbon Street. It has underground parking and is relatively secure. Once there, unless you want to take a side trip down the bayou of around town, the bikes are in good shape in the garage.

You might be able to get rooms for a little as 119 a night. Very reasonable for the quarter and a quality hotel. You might just check the city for convention schedules but summer is typically the slow season and hotels in the French Quarter are offering bargains. Chapter LA K is in the area and a very knowledgeable resource.

Do have fun and ride safe.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm bring this back out. There will be 3 of us and we will be there June 24th or 25th.

Any new suggestions?

thanks

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
As another long time resident with family history and ties to NO that stretch back to the early 1800's, I agree with KBarnes. There is so much to see and so much to do that 1 day is not enough to even get your feet wet.
-
As KBarnes said, park the bike and walk or take public transportation, cheap and quick. (use United Cab while in the CBD, Quarters and Uptown).
-
Royal Sonesta, while nice and without a doubt has the best Sunday Brunch in town, can be a bit pricey.
-
We like either Dauphine Orleans up river and lake side of Bourbon or Le Richelieu down river and on the river side of Bourbon.
http://www.lerichelieuhotel.com/
http://www.dauphineorleans.com/?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Brand+|+Exact&utm_content=name&utm_keyword=dauphine orleans
Both hotels have secure private parking; Dauphine is covered, the Le Richelieu is not. The Dauphine is closer to Bourbon and the action, Le Richelieu is quieter and is more residential. The Dauphine has May Baileys (bar), one of the last vestige of the Storyville (bordellos) district on site, Le Richelieu has the best and cheapest American Breakfast in any of the hotels.
-
We actually prefer the Le Richelieu; Bourbon, with few exceptions, is for the tourist, the locals avoid it like the plague (not the quarters, just Bourbon, there are thousands of part time and full time residents that actively live in the quarters) The Le Richelieu is close to Coops, the French Market and other places we frequent.
-
If you want really good sea food, Deanie's (local hint, Deanies is always crowded and you will have to wait. Don't despair, get on the wait list, get the little buzzer thing they give you and go accros the street to the Chateau Bourbon to the bar, sit at the bar the buzzer will reach you there and visit with Chuck the bartender, good guy and great barkeep)
-
Coops, most of the folks at the bar are with me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MZbCaGoYk4

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Me and a buddy and our wives were there last march, and were strongly advised not to stay overnight with the bikes.
It is a crying shame you took advice from someone that absolutely had no idea what they were talking about.
-
True enough, New Orleans is not for everyone but
-
If you don't cherish the sedate, you really like to eat, want to meet warm and wonderful people; then you might want to visit the home of Sandra Bullock, Tennesee Williams, Ann Rice and hunders of other who either made the Big Easy their part of full time home. Sandra Bullock is a full time resident BTW. Harry Connick Jr went to grade school and high school there, so did Aaron Neville.
-
Bourbon is for the tourist, the locals will be found at much more interesting places....having a lot more fun.
-
We missed Christmas in NO this year for the first time in a long time...the Sunday before Christmas people gather in Jackson Square about sundown to sing Christmas Carols and a blessing by the Archbishop. (I am not Catholic but we do attend the non denominational Christmas service)
http://www.patioplanters.org/article.php/event.caroling
This year it will be on the Dec. 21st, I am taking by Grandson (he is not old enough to ride the bike so we will take the car)
-

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Once again, thanks.

I've been to New Orleans a couple of times and never had a problem and always had a good time, I think. Too many hurricanes my last trip.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Once again, thanks.

I've been to New Orleans a couple of times and never had a problem and always had a good time, I think. Too many hurricanes my last trip.

A quick check on hotel.com indicate the city is wide open, no convention and nothing special going on the days you have selected.
-
Really good rates at all the properties, esp in the quarters.
-
I do not think that I mentioned that secured parking at the Le Richelieu is included with your room unlike the rest of the properties in the quarter that charge a seperate rate for secured parking.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts