GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Punctured my overflow resevoir twice in my trip to the Smokey's this past week. Any good places to get it cheaper than the dealership? For an '05. JB Weld only goes so far. Will try to find a cheap belly pan or just use an old license plate to protect it.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
What ever you do make sure you don't install a belly pan. Especially one of those two piece ones with the faulty little aviation fasteners. Belly pans cause engine and oil overheating and will make your Wing nearly impossible to handle in crosswinds. And it will add lots of additional time to your oil changes as well. Don't say you were not warned.

S

·
0 Posts
What ever you do make sure you don't install a belly pan. Especially one of those two piece ones with the faulty little aviation fasteners. Belly pans cause engine and oil overheating and will make your Wing nearly impossible to handle in crosswinds. And it will add lots of additional time to your oil changes as well. Don't say you were not warned.
good joke :thumbup:

Why not just patch the hole? clear silicone will do the deed for free.

·
Registered
17,036 Posts
Our sponsor, HDL, is the source. Not very expensive when I bought one a couple of years ago. There is nothing wrong with the original belly pan or the aircraft fastners.

prs

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
:roll:

·
Registered
220 Posts

This is a JOKE right????:popcorn:

S

·
0 Posts

This is a JOKE right????:popcorn:
Yes even if serious - it's a joke ;)

·
Registered
565 Posts
I would definitely install a louvered belly pan. Especially after the twice in one trip experience.
I once repaired a coolant reservoir on my GL1200 GoldWing using a product I strongly believe in.
MARINE TEX ............ It held up until I bought a new coolant tank about 5 years later when I remembered it.
I have also repaired cracked crankcases, drilled and tapped it for stud bolts, ect........
If you use any type of product, just ensure it is thoroughly cleaned and the surfaced roughed up somewhat.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
A joke? How can you say such a thing. All the words are spelled correctly and they sound really good together. A joke? I am truly hurt by your suggestion.
What on earth would lead you to take it as a joke?

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
A joke? How can you say such a thing. All the words are spelled correctly and they sound really good together. A joke? I am truly hurt by your suggestion.
Because none of what you say is true.
Kurt :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
But, but there are several posters here who have jumped into every belly pan thread to claim that since they have ridden thousands and thousands of miles without a need for a belly pan that neither should anyone else need one, either. How can this be? Oh, man, now I suppose you are going to break it to me about Santa and The Tooth Fairy and that Easter bunny, too? I can't deal with all this now. How can you guys think I am kidding you?

By the way, a two piece louvered belly pan was the very first thing that went on my bike when it had 40 miles on it.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
But, but there are several posters here who have jumped into every belly pan thread to claim that since they have ridden thousands and thousands of miles without a need for a belly pan that neither should anyone else need one, either. How can this be? Oh, man, now I suppose you are going to break it to me about Santa and The Tooth Fairy and that Easter bunny, too? I can't deal with all this now. How can you guys think I am kidding you?

By the way, a two piece louvered belly pan was the very first thing that went on my bike when it had 40 miles on it.
Doesn't pass the sniff test, or the fact test. Sorry.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I bought one a few years ago because I destroyed the original by a stupid move. Before I put the new one on, I wrapped it in the lower half using the aluminum foil type duct tape. I put on several layers and it protects it quite well from small rocks etc. 90,000 miles later it is still perfect. BTW, I bought mine from Ron Ayers, and it was less than $20 at the time.

BTW, on edit, you can weld the HDPE plastic, but forget about silicone, or JB weld or any other glue.

S

·
0 Posts
The first tip would be all the laughing and the second all the giggling :joke:

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
A CHEAP word of CAUTION!!!

Walmart has cheap oil and cheap oil filters. Maybe they have cheap overflow tanks? Could probably modify a one quart plastic milk jug to do the job? ****Don't wrap the overflow tank!!! Coolant will overheat!!! Oh, and the Protect-All belly pan system requires you to remove the crush washer AND muffler bearings!!! :eek:4:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts