GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe my anti-dive has seized, which would explain the harsh ride coming from the front end.
I want to replace it but can't find the OEM part numbers for the necessary parts.
Can anyone enlighten me on what is needed.
The bike is an '01 and has about 100,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
20,944 Posts
I believe my anti-dive has seized, which would explain the harsh ride coming from the front end.
I want to replace it but can't find the OEM part numbers for the necessary parts.
Can anyone enlighten me on what is needed.
The bike is an '01 and has about 100,000 miles on it.
i recomend using a cutoff wheel to cut the tip off the old antidive valve, once its cut off u will never miss it and it won't cause anymore problems

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Research the nickel fix for the anti dive harshness.

You drill a hole in a nickel and place it between the two halves of the anti dive unit. It results in the effect of shortening the plunger.

The anti dive is on slightly when it shouldn't be, creating the jolting to the handlebars. It locks up the forks and should only be on when the brakes are applied.

·
Registered
195 Posts
What size hole do you drill?

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
This issue has come up numerous times on this forum. Instead of replacing the whole anti-dive valve, just the O-rings may be replaced.

Here is a source for O-Rings that are compatible with brake fluid. Kits can be purchased from http://www.allorings.com/oring_kits.htm

Originally Posted by All Boots No Saddle View Post
From my notes...
The correct "O" rings for the anti dive are the Japanese JIS P6 (5.8 mm ID, 1.9 mm Cross Section). Need to be of the EPDM/EPR material and not the standard Nitrile

Brake fluid rings: EPDM / EPR O-rings from Nordel - DuPont or Royalene - Uniroyal.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
As for disabling the anti-dive, no thanks. I'll live with Honda's safety features.
Atta boy. You tell 'em.:lol:

FWIW, the ADV really isn't a safety feature. It is just part of Honda's corporate design philosophy for tuning front suspensions. They have used it on many models of bikes over the last 30 years. They prefer to use more compliant springs, and use an anti-dive mechanism to compensate for the braking dive that results from that type of spring. Other Japanese mfrs use similar systems.

I agree that it should be left in place with stock springs. If you later upgrade to stiffer aftermarket springs, you won't need the ADV any more.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
lower anti dive....

Only the upper parts of the anti-dive are on the fiche. The lower parts are missing and cannot be ordered. My '06 was a sticking problem on the lower end. The only fix was either buying an entire lower assembly or disable it. Replacing the upper parts will not solve anything unless you have a "too much money" problem.

·
Vendor
17,361 Posts
Thanks Greg, is it just this one part: "31CASE, PLUNGER 51530-MCA-003"

Or does it also include 1, 2, and 36?

As for disabling the anti-dive, no thanks. I'll live with Honda's safety features.
36 is an assembly and includes the other parts. You want 36. Fix it as designed and don't disable it. The suspension and brakes are a linked system. This is Honda's way of controling contact tire patch sizes needed for safe operation under certain handling conditions. Usually they fail from not flushing the clutch/brake system every 12k. Make sure you are maintaining the Wing as described in the owners manual.

Also needed are the hose seals. I can't find the fishe for them at the ADV but they are all the same. In this pix they are #17 ... you will need 2 of them and some brake fluid and a can of brake clean to complete the job.

http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_section_detail.asp

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Only the upper parts of the anti-dive are on the fiche. The lower parts are missing and cannot be ordered.
Has anyone ever taken off that lower part of the anti-dive on the fork tube and seen whats inside it? Is there anything in there that can be cleaned or standard O-rings replaced?

The parts fiches and the tech manual make no mention of that part. What it is, what it does or even how to disassemble it. One of the pictures shows a snap-ring on top of it, but that is it. Even in the section on left fork rebuild, there is no mention of it.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Has anyone ever taken off that lower part of the anti-dive on the fork tube and seen whats inside it? Is there anything in there that can be cleaned or standard O-rings replaced?

The parts fiches and the tech manual make no mention of that part. What it is, what it does or even how to disassemble it. One of the pictures shows a snap-ring on top of it, but that is it. Even in the section on left fork rebuild, there is no mention of it.
I believe this is what you're looking for?

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/antidive

And here's some stuff specifically about the various o-rings. I gather they're not easy to find.

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123847

·
Registered
102 Posts
I was reading all the info on the antidive system and thought I would just go ahead and put in the O ring to make sure it worked properly and lube it.

I have had my wing for only a month and a half and I did not test it before hand but after I put the o ring in I found that it only works when you use the rear brake. If you just use the front it does not lock.

You can test it by holding the front brake and pushing down on the handlebars and you will feel the front move up and down. If you hold the rear break you will feel the front lock and not move at all.

I just went by the auto parts store and got an assortment of O rings and used the fattest one that fit the plunger. It's purpose it to push the plunger back up after you release the brake.

The O ring does not come into contact with any fluid so it does not have to be anything special.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts