GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My liner and controller came today and can't decide where to mount the box or the controls.I have the dual permanent controller.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
How about with a Nav model?

G

·
0 Posts
Mark,

I can't supply a photo now but I could this weekend. What I have done is mount the controller in the left fairing pocket. I used velcro to mount it to the rear wall of the pocket. That way I can keep the controller and all cords out of the weather while not in use. It is also very easy to open the door to that pocket and make adjustments when needed. If you would still like to see photo's or want more info just let me know.

·
Registered
878 Posts
While I was uploading my pictures you answered my first question, weather you had the permanent or portable controller. I have the portable. In the past, I've added to many accessories that have been left on the bike that I try to get things I can take with me to the next bike. I guess I’ll just post the pictures in case someone else is interested. Your topic might attract a few viewers.

I used the fused power cable that came with the liner and connected it to the battery, of course, and out the opening of the scuff protector. The wire can just be pushed in behind the protector when not in use. I used the super lock type hook and loop connectors to attach the controller to the side of the frame. I run the cable from the liner behind my leg and connect to the controller. My liner has the old style connectors so I’ve had to get adaptors to fit their new style plugs. So between all the adaptors, etc. that I’ve purchased I ended up with extras. I adapted one to by battery charger and plug it in there also so I don’t have to remove the side cover when I tune up the battery during winter storage.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Hawk I went ahead and mounted one control on each side of the ignition switch.Hope it works out ok I'm still putting it together.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got it all together but one of the switches is bad.It wont cut off.Guess I will be calling Gerbing in the morning.Thanks for the replys.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Here is my front install

·
Registered
501 Posts
I have asked HAWK to post my pics of my set up (mobile)

thanks Hawk :)

With the dual control driver and passenger can use,
01. but all equipment on the driver (jacket, pants, gloves, socks) are controlled by on controller. Same goes for the passenger.
02. If no passenger then the driver can use both controls. One for the jacket and the other for the pants, gloves, and sockets.
If you wanted, the driver and the passenger to have dual controls. You would just have to buy two Y connection lines. One side of the Y would go to the driver's jacket and the other side of the Y would go to the pass. jacket. Then the second Y would be for the driver and pass gloves, pants, and socks.
Check to be sure your bike can carry the loads for the set up you would like to run.
My set up is just me and I use one side of the controller for the jacket and the other side for the gloves, pants, and socks. :oops:

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I put my Dual Permament Controllers to the left of the key area. Kinda to the left and up a little. Works perfect.
I put my wifes in the right pass door cubby hole. Works fine for her.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
I've got to fess up,I borrowed Wingit's great idea on the controller position. It sure looks like it's supposed to be there. With the Dual Locking Velco it is solid as a rock.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Several good setups for future installments!

·
Vendor
22,058 Posts
I have a single portable controller that I need to be able to move from bike to bike, so I will probably end up attaching mine down on the lower frame rail by my left leg like someone showed.

It would be nice if it had more cord on it. I assume you guys that are putting them on the handlebars are cutting the cords and lengthening them, right?

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Fred H. said:
I have a single portable controller that I need to be able to move from bike to bike, so I will probably end up attaching mine down on the lower frame rail by my left leg like someone showed.

It would be nice if it had more cord on it. I assume you guys that are putting them on the handlebars are cutting the cords and lengthening them, right?
What I'm doing is keeping the controller plugs intact and using a Gerbing shortened wire extension. I plug the extension to the controller and use heat wrap to hold it together. The reason - is if the controller blows up under the 2 year warranty there is no problem with exchanges as everything is still original. :) Ask me how I know.......

1 - 20 of 29 Posts