GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to find a couple of modular helmets that don't have a lot of wind noise and are paper thin but I am not super wealthy either. I like the hjc with the sun shield and would like to hear from someone using it. I tried a cheapo Hawk but the vents rattle really bad. I can't do the extremely expensive helmets keep it reasonable.

Suggestions? Experiences?

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Look at the KBC FFR. Metal latch assembly, good visor, not to noisy as modulars go and pricing is usually lower than HJC, Shoei and Nolans.

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
I have a Fulmer and like it OK, not real expensive either....bets to go to a shop and try a bunch on...some heads are different shapes and fit is different....

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I really like my HJC Symax II with the flip down visor. It is reasonably quiet...but come on, your on a motorcycle!

Shadow1

Hal

·
Registered
833 Posts
I have a Symax II and enjoy it greatly. It is a more comfortable fit then my KBC FFR was and is about the same noise wise. The sunshield is a great addition and I love it.

·
Canuck
2,844 Posts
I would like to find a couple of modular helmets that don't have a lot of wind noise and are paper thin but I am not super wealthy either. I like the hjc with the sun shield and would like to hear from someone using it. I tried a cheapo Hawk but the vents rattle really bad. I can't do the extremely expensive helmets keep it reasonable.

Suggestions? Experiences?
Take a look at webbikeworld.com and check their modular helmet comparisons. One which they like is Zox @ $100 http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/zox-helmets/zox-azuma-r.htm (If you buy the Zox, make sure it has the flip-up sun visor.) I purchased the Zox based on this article, price, feel, and dealer recommendation. It's my first modular, so have nothing to compare it with. But found it good.

Another is Summit XPV @ $129.99 http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/vega/summit-xpv.htm.

This webbikeworld site reviews 31 modular helemts. http://www.webbikeworld.com/Reviewed-motorcycle-products/Products.htm

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
There Are Differences

I have a HJC with a flip up visor, 3/4 face helmet. However, helmets are different in that a large in a HJC is not a large in a Shoei, etc. Different manufacturers have different shapes, and you need to try on the helmet for some time to make certain that there are no pressure points.

Any helmet rated DOT and Snell will protect you; the key rating being Snell.

Not rich? Then stay away from Arai! They size by your wallet!

·
Registered
466 Posts
I have a HJC with a flip up visor, 3/4 face helmet. However, helmets are different in that a large in a HJC is not a large in a Shoei, etc. Different manufacturers have different shapes, and you need to try on the helmet for some time to make certain that there are no pressure points.

Any helmet rated DOT and Snell will protect you; the key rating being Snell.

Not rich? Then stay away from Arai! They size by your wallet!
I respectfully disagree with the Arai comment. Arai and Shoei are among the most respected, best constructed, and most reliable helmets on the market. You get what you pay for. As an owner of HJC, KBC, Bell, Arai, Shoei, and no-name helmets over my riding career, Arai and Shoei are in the top 3 of best helmet for the dollar, imo.

ymmv

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Take a look at webbikeworld.com and check their modular helmet comparisons. One which they like is Zox @ $100 http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/zox-helmets/zox-azuma-r.htm (If you buy the Zox, make sure it has the flip-up sun visor.) I purchased the Zox based on this article, price, feel, and dealer recommendation. It's my first modular, so have nothing to compare it with. But found it good.

Another is Summit XPV @ $129.99 http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/vega/summit-xpv.htm.

This webbikeworld site reviews 31 modular helemts. http://www.webbikeworld.com/Reviewed-motorcycle-products/Products.htm

Good luck.
:yes1: Spending some time here today!

·
Registered
931 Posts
I found that you have to go into a shop and try on helmets and actually have it on for about 30 minutes. That will give you a good feel of how it will feel when you have to have it on for a long time. I bought the Genisis Zox modular with built in sunshield,and put on the SuperVisor. Helmet is comfortable for me. I've had it for 9 months. Paid about $190.00 from my local shop,Helmet Harbor.:yes1:

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I bought a barely used bike a few years back and the seller included an HJC flip up. At the time I had an HJC AC11. I wore the modular riding home for 2 days then sold it as the AC11 was much more comfortable, lighter and quieter. If I found a good full face flip up that was light, comfortable and quiet I would be willing to spend a little extra than the $200 of my current Scorpion EXO700 which I love (not a flip up).
I'm picky though and uncomfortable things bug me (and take out some of the fun of spending all day in the saddle).

Steve

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
The Aria for me is the most comfortable helmet I have. Bought a Shoei which is a flip up and for me it is just ok. Ok for day trip but for long trip (more than 2 days) the Aria always goes. But it is not a flip up type.

·
Registered
246 Posts
When people ask me at work, which helmet is best..... I always tell them to go and find out for themselves. Not trying to mean or rude. But, we all either have a round or oval shaped head. Not to mention size. I guess even a mm would make a difference in comfort. as such I prefer HJC 3/4 and Shoei f/f. Forget Arai for my head.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I found that you have to go into a shop and try on helmets and actually have it on for about 30 minutes. That will give you a good feel of how it will feel when you have to have it on for a long time. I bought the Genisis Zox modular with built in sunshield,and put on the SuperVisor. Helmet is comfortable for me. I've had it for 9 months. Paid about $190.00 from my local shop,Helmet Harbor.:yes1:
I definitely agree but unfortunately in this one horse town of 500,000 the dealers all stock a minimal number of helmets. Went to one spot today and couldn't even find the right size to try on.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I have an Aria only because it is color coded and it is a good helmet, I would like a modular but I want it color coded and it is hard to find that

1 - 18 of 18 Posts