GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't ride without earplugs and I don't use the audio system on my 2018 Goldwing since I can't really hear it very well with the ear plugs inserted. I've used ear buds a little but never on a bike while wearing a helmet because buds don't provide enough ambient sound reduction the way real earplugs do.

The other day I saw a thread hear that seemed to be talking about Bluetooth ear plugs and I didn't even know they existed. Are they a real thing? Anybody have a recommendation or a link? Do they kill ambient noise the same as the silicone shooters earplugs?

·
Registered
640 Posts
I have blue-tooth ear buds that I use at the gym and listen to Pandora from my phone. I love them. Bought on amazon for $20. :smile2:

·
Registered
225 Posts
I can't ride without earplugs and I don't use the audio system on my 2018 Goldwing since I can't really hear it very well with the ear plugs inserted. I've used ear buds a little but never on a bike while wearing a helmet because buds don't provide enough ambient sound reduction the way real earplugs do.

The other day I saw a thread hear that seemed to be talking about Bluetooth ear plugs and I didn't even know they existed. Are they a real thing? Anybody have a recommendation or a link? Do they kill ambient noise the same as the silicone shooters earplugs?
What I use isn't exactly what you are asking about but it's close. My wife and I use custom made earplugs with speakers that plug into the base units of our Sena 10s. We can talk as if we are side by side (she rides her own bike). We can place and receive phone calls and no one knows we are on bikes. I Bluetooth my phone to the Sena for music and calls. I'm working on connecting the Wing by Bluetooth to either my phone or the Sena. A work in progress as I would like to hear the GPS prompts. The Senas last for a full day of riding and we recharge at night. We are able to charge while riding but that kind of negates the advantages of Bluetooth.

Robert

Reactions: 06winger

·
Registered
207 Posts
There are plenty of manufacturers that make sound isolating earphones or earbuds. I use Shure with foam earpieces from Comply Foam and they are every bit as effective as earplugs at reducing ambient noise. Shure makes both wired and bluetooth but you need to make sure that whatever transmitter you are using is compatible with earphones. I use the wired earphones connected to a Sena 20S communicator.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
It is illegal to have anything in you ear that blocks out side of the ear sounds for the rider.

·
Registered
225 Posts
It is illegal to have anything in you ear that blocks out side of the ear sounds for the rider.
How does that work for deaf people?

Robert

·
Registered
478 Posts
I can't ride without earplugs and I don't use the audio system on my 2018 Goldwing since I can't really hear it very well with the ear plugs inserted. I've used ear buds a little but never on a bike while wearing a helmet
I have hearing loss and tinnitus. Same issues.

1- try Eargasm earplugs. They block the low frequency sounds (wind noise), and reduce everything else. It's like you turned down the volume on the world. I can hear my Sena just fine. They are silicone, not rubber, extremely comfortable.

2- I also use Bose QC20 active noise cancelling ear buds for Long rides. Silent, comfortable, but you will still hear sirens, horns, etc.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Exactly what Mr Scouter said. Two items: first, I own a pair of Beats BT earbuds. I wear when mowing the yard, walking the dog, working in the yard and etc. I have around 100 or so tunes loaded on my iPhone. Bought the earphones from Amazon for $100. Second, like Mr Scouter, my wife and I each own a GW. We also have Sena 10's and have complete access to our iPhones through earbuds using the 3.5mm plug. This connects directly into the Sena 10. You must purchase the Sena base with the 3.5mm port. I love it. No wind noise, can talk to my wife as needed-potty breaks, fuel and etc-and listen to tunes for hours. The earbuds we use are from Wally world but you can buy them anywhere. I'd give my left nut for a pair of custom fitted earbuds but have never seen such a thing. Anyway, good luck.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I spent the $$ a few years ago on custom fit medical grade silicone IEMs from Sensaphonics.
They offer 37DB attenuation and awesome sounding fidelity.

I've worn them for 12-hours a day 2-week trips with zero discomfort.

Plug into my Sena 20S Evo.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to look into the Shure unit to see if it gives me enough ambient noise reduction. One question on the active noise cancelation types is where is the microphone it uses to sense ambient sound? Does it (the microphone) need to be in the open? Seems like it wouldn't work on a bike if it is somewhere in you jacket pocket.

·
Registered
478 Posts
One question on the active noise cancelation types is where is the microphone it uses to sense ambient sound? Does it (the microphone) need to be in the open?
The microphones are actually in the earpiece. It needs to hear the sound in the ear, create the counter-frequency, and then listen to the resulting sound to adjust.

The external mic is only for phone calls/voice commands. It has no impact on noise cancellation at all.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I wasn't trying start a new "which earplugs" thread. Basically I wanted to know if there are any Bluetooth earplugs (not earbuds). So if anyone can specifically point me toward Bluetooth earplugs or Bluetooth ear buds that seal so tightly that they can perform the function of ear plugs I would be grateful. The Shure units mentioned near the top of the thread look like a possibility.

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
Confusion among the words

<...>earplugs or Bluetooth ear buds that seal so tightly that they can perform the function of ear plugs I would be grateful.<...>
Semantics issue, I think.

Earphones (also called in-ear headphones or in-ears) are inserted into the ear canal, while earbuds rest outside the ear canal.

Thus, you'll never get isolation with an earbud. You can get isolation with an in-ear device, it's the eartip that does that function.

In-ear monitors (IEM's) made by Shure and a host of other companies can do that. To really be certain you have isolated the sound, they need to be able to use the Comply foam tips:

https://www.complyfoam.com/

...or they come with a really good-fitting set of silicone eartips.

A month or two ago, I posted a review of an IEM that you can also get custom eartips made for around $250. Many cases, just the custom eartips run $250.

Now, a long article on the topic is here:

https://theheadphonelist.com/earphone-fit-guide/

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Taken literally that means you can't wear ear plugs while riding. Not sure that's correct.

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
Taken literally that means you can't wear ear plugs while riding. Not sure that's correct.
Six states (AK, CO, FL, MA, RI, VA) - None permitted.

Seven other states (CA, IL, LA, MD, MI, MN, NY, OH, PA) one ear only (this is totally ignorant, but a good conversation point for a roadside chat, if warranted.)

Thus, 26% do not allow, while 74% allow.

I'll take my chances - and protect my hearing.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts