GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this mod http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198572 and thought I'd really like to have it. Seems like a good idea and one I would use frequently. So I have the bike shucked down to put in Mic Mutes, a CB PTT for the wife, clean up some wiring and install terminal blocks. I have read the entire post and looked at all the pics, but I'm missing something. There are a couple of things I don't understand. I'm a fairly good wrench, but I'm lacking in the electronics area.

I have e-mailed a couple of people on the above listed thread, but have not received any responses. My bike is an 06 and if anyone that has completed this modification on an 06 I'd sure like to talk to you and ask some questions. If someone could e-mail or PM me with their number I'll call you or you can call me. I'd sure like to do this while the bike is apart.

Thanks,

Bash.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Bash, not sure what part you dont understand? Its pretty straight forward, except on my 08' the wire colors are different. It just took a little testing to figure out which wire you need. I dont remember what color it is, but maybe someone else will jump in with that info.

It is a really cool trick. Especially since I ride with "Hippo Hands" in the winter, so I dont have to pull my hands out just to see how cold I am

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK here goes.

George said:
I cut the wire, and slipped a piece of heat shrink onto the long side. Then attached another piece of wire the same size, and soldered it. Pull up the heat shrink and shrink it for a good seal, and protection from shorting.

Question...
Does this mean he cut the wire in two, or do you just splice into the green/white wire? If you actually cut it in two, and one end goes to the switch on the meter pannel, where does the other end go?

George said:
I cut the wire, and slipped a piece of heat shrink onto the long side. Then attached another piece of wire the same size, and soldered it. Pull up the heat shrink and shrink it for a good seal, and protection from shorting.

Explain that.

This may seem very straight forward to most, but to me red flags are waving at me! This seems worse than the first time I cut a seat to install a Utopia backrest.

Thanks,

Bash.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Goldwingbuzz! Great talking to you.

Bash.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts