GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of changing my fork oil ( first time ). No problems until I try to loosen the 6 MM allen head drain bolts from the bottom of the forks. I heard it was a tough job. I have a 6 mm allen wrench that I cut and made a long tool to get into that recessed area past the axle housing. Problem is the allen wrench seems to be slipping. It appears to be a "quality " allen wrench. What is the technique that you guys use? Should I try my air impact wrench or will that damage the bolt heads? I already bought two new allen bolts just for this reason so I am not that concerned about chewing them a little, just don't want to damage them so bad I can't loosen them. I was wondering is there a way to remove the fork oil other than draining it. Like maybe using a Mighty Vac to suck it out. I can use some expert advice, thanks.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I am in the process of changing my fork oil ( first time ). No problems until I try to loosen the 6 MM allen head drain bolts from the bottom of the forks. I heard it was a tough job. I have a 6 mm allen wrench that I cut and made a long tool to get into that recessed area past the axle housing. Problem is the allen wrench seems to be slipping. It appears to be a "quality " allen wrench. What is the technique that you guys use? Should I try my air impact wrench or will that damage the bolt heads? I already bought two new allen bolts just for this reason so I am not that concerned about chewing them a little, just don't want to damage them so bad I can't loosen them. I was wondering is there a way to remove the fork oil other than draining it. Like maybe using a Mighty Vac to suck it out. I can use some expert advice, thanks.

those ARE NOT DRAIN BOLTS!!! But they will drain the fluid!! IF they are "SLIPPING" in the head of the allen bolt have fun!! IF the inside is slipping use your impact!!!

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I haven't done that on a wing, but every bike I've done it on had incredibly tight bolts at first. You really need a long allen socket wrench so you can put a ratchet on it. I've never seen an allen socket rated for an air wrench, but I'd assume snap-on sells one.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Don't use an impact wrench! Try pulling up on the damper rod as you loosen the bolt. If you have a air wrench that just spins rapidly try it. Apply a little heat to the bolt head to help break the thread locker that Honda uses.
Good Luck
Ken

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
I was lucky on both my GL1000 and my GL1800, but have read of many that needed the impact not so much to provide torque, but to just spin it fast enough to use the inertia of the damper to break it free. Just make sure the allen wrench fits the bolt head snugly and you hold it firmly so that it doesn't wallow the hex out. BTW, be ready for the oil to come out quickly when the bolt comes out, and smell awful!

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
As said before they are not drain plugs but you can drain the fluid from them but you might have a harder time getting them back in and tight. The best way is to take the tubes off and take it apart from the top.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As said before they are not drain plugs but you can drain the fluid from them but you might have a harder time getting them back in and tight. The best way is to take the tubes off and take it apart from the top.
I guess I should remove the forks and do it the way Honda says to do it.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I guess I should remove the forks and do it the way Honda says to do it.
Well you have to take the cap off one leg and work the suspension rod anyway to pump the oil out of it and pump it full again.

Not a whole lot more to just remove them. That way you can put a seal and bushing kit in and tighten up the forks too.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I gave up on the idea of trying to drain the fork oil with those bottom bolts ( I now realize they are NOT meant for this ). I just removed my forks....nothing to it. I have them all apart and will service them on the bench instead of crawling around on my knees.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
To remove the bottom Allen head bolt,I use this tool.

I place it in the bolt and use a 3/8 ratchet.I then give the end of the ratchet handle a good whack with a hammer,and the bolt loosens right up.

I have never had one I couldn't get out this way.

Now seeing you buggered up the tip of the bolt.You might have to use a SAE Allen wrench,and Pound it into the bolt so it can grab it securely and then do the trick I described to get it loose.

If not them you're going to have to drill the head off starting with a small drill bit and working your way up until the head falls off.
Then you can separate the forks and remove the rest of the bolt/stud that remains.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I have done a few of these and an impact wrench will loosen the bolts up just don't use the impact wrench to reinstall them and make sure that the allen wrench is the right fit because you might strip the head of the bolt and that will cause bad words to come out of the mouth :eek:4:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts