GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One day my iTunes was working fine and the next day for some reason about two thirds of my songs are gone from iTunes. I figured I would just delete iTunes from my computer and then reinstall it on my computer and then reload all my songs back into iTunes. The problem is now that I have reinstalled iTunes when I try to launch it I get a pop up window saying

The File"iTunes Library .itl" cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes

I am running windows XP. Anybody know what I can do to fix this problem?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Delete the file mentioned in the pop up, and let Itunes rebuild the library. Or you can use the import folder selection and manualy import the files from the location you have the music saved at.

Willy

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Roadie said:
... The File"iTunes Library .itl" cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes
Apparently the iTunes you had been using before was a newer version than the one you just installed. Either update it to the newer version, or just install the correct newer version, and I would think you'll be good-to-go.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All Boots No Saddle said:
Roadie said:
... The File"iTunes Library .itl" cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes
Apparently the iTunes you had been using before was a newer version than the one you just installed. Either update it to the newer version, or just install the correct newer version, and I would think you'll be good-to-go.
Bob
I installed the iTunes from the CD that came with the iPod Nano I bought just one year ago. I have tried removing the entire iTunes program from my computer and then to reinstall it. I have tried to remove it three times now and then reinstall the iTunes and it seems to install just fine but the iTunes won't work now and gives me that pop up window.

·
Vendor
22,225 Posts
The Itunes you loaded off disc is older than the version you had on your computer. Itunes will automatically update itself with newer versions when they come out. A new one was just released last week.

Go here and click on DOWNLOAD
http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Go to Apple.com and download the newest version (7.02) and install it instead of the old one you have on disc.

The files that are giving you problems aren't removed when you uninstall Itunes. You need to manually delete them.

They are probably ocated here:
C:\Documents and Settings\(Your_Name)\My Documents\My Music\Itunes

The 2 files that hold your library info are:
ItunesMusicLibrary.xml
Itunes Library.itl

You can either rename them or delete them as you like.

Sometimes it is smart to rename then so you have them saved in case you need to go back to them. You could simply rename them to:
ItunesMusicLibrary_Old_backup.xml
Itunes Library_Old_backup.itl

If you rename them, Itunes won't be able to use them since the name has changed, so it will have the same effect as deleting them, except you will have them as backups in case you need them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts