GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Undertook replacing my rear shock with a trike takeoff (1 mile on it)..When i received the shock I realized the
hydraulic actuator thingy on top was not included..It looks like i will need something to compress the spring as a start
but not quite sure if or how the top portion is removed..There's an allen screw on the side of the collar but it won't budge,
likely cause it's under pressure..The new shock has a "locking type ring" Does anyone know the procedure to remove the top portion
once the spring is compressed
shock.jpg

Thanks, fred

·
Registered
323 Posts
shock

Undertook replacing my rear shock with a trike takeoff (1 mile on it)..When i received the shock I realized the
hydraulic actuator thingy on top was not included..It looks like i will need something to compress the spring as a start
but not quite sure if or how the top portion is removed..There's an allen screw on the side of the collar but it won't budge,
likely cause it's under pressure..The new shock has a "locking type ring" Does anyone know the procedure to remove the top portion

The allen screw holds the slave cylinder from rotating. You must loosen the allen screw first. Then compress the spring untill the steel ring becomes visible at the top of the shock. remove the ring with fingers or screww driver if needed. Release spring pressure slowly and shock will come apart. Preload unit can be removed from the top. and spring can be removed or changed.
View attachment 54995

Thanks, fred
Jim

·
Vendor
21,887 Posts
Once the spring is compressed, you loosen the allen screw on the preload slave cylinder and then remove the clip ring at the top. If you have my videos, I show how to do it on them. Progressive used to sell a tool for compressing the spring, but I don't know if they still sell it. That is what I use.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Once the spring is compressed, you loosen the allen screw on the preload slave cylinder and then remove the clip ring at the top. If you have my videos, I show how to do it on them. Progressive used to sell a tool for compressing the spring, but I don't know if they still sell it. That is what I use.
Thanks Fred..In fact, I do have your video's and recall the procedure to correct the lag in suspension rise..There must be another chapter
for spring replacement..

Thanks again

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Jim...As it stands using a 2mm allen wrench to try and loosen the screw but no luck..Sprayed it with penetrant
and will try again later..Hope I dont have to drill er out!!

·
Registered
20,951 Posts
View attachment 54995

Thanks, fred
You never really said so I am wondering if your wanting to replace the stock spring ? If your not replacing the spring you won't need to monkey with compressing the spring, just fill the hose with oil to get the air out before hooking it up to your old actuator pump and follow Fred's procedure for filling the pump, I have done this to my wing twice without much trouble. :thumbup:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You never really said so I am wondering if your wanting to replace the stock spring ? If your not replacing the spring you won't need to monkey with compressing the spring, just fill the hose with oil to get the air out before hooking it up to your old actuator pump and follow Fred's procedure for filling the pump, I have done this to my wing twice without much trouble. :thumbup:
I have a new shock and spring from a 2014..My bike is an 01 and my understanding is that the newer shocks are better weight rated.
I've bottomed out on more than one occasion.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Thanks Jim...As it stands using a 2mm allen wrench to try and loosen the screw but no luck..Sprayed it with penetrant
and will try again later..Hope I dont have to drill er out!!
Yes Fred I have had that same problem. If the penetrating oil does not help then put some heat on it (even a hair dryer may be enough) . Good luck.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have a new shock and spring from a 2014..My bike is an 01 and my understanding is that the newer shocks are better weight rated.
01- 10 shock springs were 900 lbs 12 and up springs are 1000 lbs. Progressive makes a 1200 lb spring. It all depends on your weight. I way 155 so 1000 lb spring feels plenty strong for me lol.

·
Registered
323 Posts
The damping is better on the new shocks also. You will feel it first time you go down the road. Just smoother.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Please please please, go to Harbor Freight and get real spring compressors. One slip with what I see and those wrenches become cannon balls. :nojoke:

And it's easier if you use 2 sets (4 compressors).
...gene
Sage advice..Will do

·
Registered
958 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts