GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in lower alabama, and don't know anything about taking a wing apart..need to remove the windsheild and top dash.....can someone tell me anything..I don't have the money how to have it done....Emmitt

·
Registered
645 Posts
Well, let me see how well my memory works....

To remove the 'top dash' -
1) Pop the front speaker grills out (top to bottom)
2) Remove the 2 black push pins
3) Remove the 2 screws from the lower right and left side.
4) Pop the dash off - work from the back (by the ignition) to the front (instruments). Use care to not break anything.

To Remove the windshield ....
1) push side view mirrors 'back' (Like walking from the rear of the bike, clipping the mirror and forcing it 'back').
2)remove (Loosen) the rubber gaskets around the mirror housing.
3) Locate the front cowl trim nuts and remove them (Be careful NOT to loose them!).
4) Free the tabs of the cowl trim from the bolts and then 'pop out' the whole trim piece (It's held in place with just the 2 bolts you jsut removed and some pressure tabs that pop open when pulled out.
5) Look carefully at the screws attaching the windshield -- there's only 3 (?? as I remember it) that you need to remove to get the windshiled out. take those three out and pull the windscreen out.

Installation is in the reverse order.

The 'screws' are 5 mm hex pan head screw.

HTH --

No, I don't accept for fact the above. The suggestion would be that for sure in order to do what you want to do you'll have to take the steps outlined (if not exactly as described). Get into it - You'll soon see how it is put together.

Good Luck!

Cheers!

http://www.jimnlyn.com

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
Emmitt
01 through 06 are different from the 07 and up....
what year is your wing?

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
KYBLUE, 01 to 05 is the same, the dash changed in 06

1 - 5 of 5 Posts