GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The guy im buying my bike from said He couldnt install a back rest on my seat because of the heating element. Is that true and can I have a back rest installed ? I want the one that goes through the seat.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
You may need to provide more details on the bike, seat type, etc.

If you are buying an 1800 with OEM heated seat, I believe someone already contacted Utopia and found that a Utopia could be installed through the seat w/o damage to the seat heating system.

An aftermarket seat or seat heating systems may not allow for the Utopia style back rest.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Your dealer doesn't know what he's talking about! The back rest you are referring to is the Utopia, here is the web site:

http://www.utpr.com/

Other board members have done it on their '06 with heated seats...the back rest doesn't come anywhere near the heating elements.

It'd definitely a "must" for long rides, I love mine!

The hardest part for me was making that cut into the seat!! :lol:

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
As Rob said, the Utopia will install in the 06 heated seat with no problems. I have installed one with no issues. The heating elements are not close enough to the Utopia bar to be an issue.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,094 Posts
You might want to check out the Wing Master drivers backrest that Chrome World sells over the Utopia. I have the Utopia on my bike and it's fine, but I have installed the Wing Master on a friends 06 and I like the way the Wing Master attaches the bag on the back of the driverback rest better to keep the bag from flying aound while at speed. With the Utopia you will have to fix that issue yourself. Both the Utopia and the Wing Master installs the exact same way in the seat,and look like they are factory installed on the bike, but the Wing Master is the better choice.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does anyone know where we can see a pic of the heatring element in the seat ?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HARDCORE YES. STUPID NO . AS LONG AS ICAN REMOVE IT AT THE BIKE RALLY. lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts