GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2003 GL1800 with 3600 miles on the clock. They are still the original dunlop tiresd on the bike and they still look new. No sign of dry rot. The bike was kept in a garage and only ridden on nice days. Should I replace the tires due to age, or can I run them. I do not see any cracking inside the tread or on the sidewall.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
:agree:The tires could be nearly 9 or 10 years old now,depending on the bike build date,and the tire date code.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Wow, 8 year old tires. Just to let you know I personally don't care for D-250s, so I would probably have them changed out. If I liked D-250s, I might leave them on if I wasn't going to take any trips and just going to use it to commute. This is what would work for me! :congrats: on your purchase!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
86 Posts
i bought an 03 1800 last fall with 2,800 miles. same deal, original D250s, i asked the same questions, knowing they were old tires well past the 5 year limit many will mention. i had to face the facts, they were old tires which i probably could have taken a chance on but knowing i wanted to go where tire stores are not on every corner and to increase the safety margin i replaced both of them. on a recent trip to canada the tires took a beating, i was soooo glad i had new rubber on the road !!

·
Registered
643 Posts
For safety reasons I would replace them.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Even if they don't look bad they still dry out and will be on the slippery side. I had a 5 year old trike take of wheel and tire that I ran for a couple of weeks. That tire would slide out in a turn at will. Took it off before I hurt myself.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all very much.
You confirmed what I already thought but didnt want to hear. Looks like new E3s are in order.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Kampinguru, I hope you enjoy your '03 GW as much as I have mine this past year since bought! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Bought my '05 last year with 643 miles... Put new rubber on the first week of owning her.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Thank you all very much.
You confirmed what I already thought but didnt want to hear. Looks like new E3s are in order.
Aside from the safety concerns with the original D250's, you will find the Elite III's to be a huge improvement.

:congrats: on finding the low mileage GL1800! :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts