GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a pair of riding pants that can be worn both in summer and winter, water proof with zip out lining, and that has zippered vents that can be opened up for summer riding. I really don't want to buy two pair if at all possible and I have checked different sites but can't seem to find what I'm looking for. Can anyone recommend a brand and style type?

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
Gerbings Union Ridge heated pants for winter, blue jeanes for summer....;)

Really I don't know of any....I have a pair of Harley over pants that have a liner and are waterproof, but I think they would be too hot in summer....and the mesh would be too cold in winter, maybe a mesh set with liner that you could also use a Gerbings pant liner??

Interesting thread.....I'll be watching.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gerbings Union Ridge heated pants for winter, blue jeanes for summer....;)

Really I don't know of any....I have a pair of Harley over pants that have a liner and are waterproof, but I think they would be too hot in summer....and the mesh would be too cold in winter, maybe a mesh set with liner that you could also use a Gerbings pant liner??

Interesting thread.....I'll be watching.
I am still planning on getting heated liners, but would also like a riding pant that is warm but can pair down for summer riding. Also looking for the extra protection in the knee area.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Tour Master Venture Air Pants. They come with a water/wind proof zip in liner and also a quilted zip in insulated liner. Legs have zippers on side that goes up past the knee for easier dressing. Has knee armor and soft hip armor. I got mine at The Helmet Shop in Daytona Beach for $134 for all three pieces. They work very well in cold and rain. They also have reflective sides and adjustable waist Velcro straps. They are heavy though. I had to get a pair of suspenders from Home Depot to keep them up while walking around.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I am looking for a pair of riding pants that can be worn both in summer and winter, water proof with zip out lining, and that has zippered vents that can be opened up for summer riding. I really don't want to buy two pair if at all possible and I have checked different sites but can't seem to find what I'm looking for. Can anyone recommend a brand and style type?
For winter, I use ski pants ($39.00 at REI outlet http://www.rei.com/outlet/ ). They are made by Rawik and called "Bootcut Jeans Pants". A "No name" brand that works great!! They have an inner liner with elastic around the ankles to keep them from creeping up because of wind. A guy I work with that rides 24/7 (only owns a bike, no car) turned me on to them and I love them!!! They keep the wind off me and keep me nice and toasty without over heating me.
NOTE: Since I got them from the outlet, I do not know if they have any more in stock, but I'm sure there are plenty of other ski/snowboarding pants that would work. Boulder Gear Cargo Shell Pants are virtually the same pants but they are $69/pair http://www.rei.com/outlet/product/775448 )

I realize you were looking for something that was winter and summer and these are not - but at $39.00 a pair.....

·
Registered
243 Posts
Can't tell you what to buy but here's something to think about. Be sure that the lower leg zippers zip up high enough to allow you to pull them on with your boots on. Yhere is nothing more frustrating than to be all dressed up and ready to go then have to sit down and pull your boots off to put your overpants on.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I have yet to find a pair of pants that can be worn year round.

I use First Gear MeshTex in warm weather
In cold weather Motoport/Cycle port

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I like the Olympia Airglide pants. They have a water proof/wind proof zip out insulated liner. Work great in the winter. Without the liner, I wear shorts underneath and they flow air pretty good. Both liner and overpants have full length leg zippers to make it easy to get them on and off. The overpants are not water proof however until you zip in the liner. The liner is a bit warm to wear in the summer. I just throw my rain gear on top of everything anyways.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have a pair of Ultra II Air mesh kevlar pants from Cycleport. They have a zip in waterproof liner. They are a great design, easy on and easy off. If it gets real cold (not too often around here), I put in the liner...in the summer I wear shorts underneath.

http://www.motoport.com/Product.asp?Clv=102530

My better half has the Olympia Airglide pants, another good option.

Al

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
pants

Are you planning to wear them over jeans?

If not, what do you do when you arrive at work, end of ride etc.?

I have a pair of Joe Rocket pants. Have armor in knees, & wear them over jeans. They have a zip in rain liner. Never use the liner, unless it is below freezing, or heavy rain.

They are too hot to wear in the summer. They do have zip-out section from hips for venting, around back, but with jeans are still very warm.

·
Registered
310 Posts
olympia mesh with liner. I think they are awesome. With liner they are good into the low 20-30's on the wing and very good during the summer. I never ride with anything other

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
It is really hard to beat the FirtstGear HT Overpants 2.0 for rear-round riding on a Wing. They are mesh, but have a waterproof protective inner liner that can zip out if you want something cooler. Since they are an overpant you can wear them over other pants (the HT pants have protection whereas regular pants have zip and are worthless in a fall including jeans). If the temperature drops I'll wear some Gerbing pant liners and they fit nicely inside. I've yet to find any situation they didn't work well (I'll put rain pants over them for additional protection in heavy rain), but I have used them across the country in all seasons and weather so I'll keep getting them each time I need to replace them (I'm on my 2nd set in 6 years and year round riding, lots and lots of miles).

DaleC

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Pants

Another + here for the Olympia Air Glide pants.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I like the Olympia Airglide pants. They have a water proof/wind proof zip out insulated liner. Work great in the winter. Without the liner, I wear shorts underneath and they flow air pretty good. Both liner and overpants have full length leg zippers to make it easy to get them on and off. The overpants are not water proof however until you zip in the liner. The liner is a bit warm to wear in the summer. I just throw my rain gear on top of everything anyways.
+1 on the Airglide, like mine too... but I also went to my local Bass Pro shop and got some rain gear pant they had and they work great for overall riding. You can ride with shorts underneath during the Summer and I ride with fleeced lined blue jeans with the pant over them during the winter.. works great.

Kilimanjaro jacket on top....

Use the Olympia Airglide suit for most of the year, certainly traveling in summer... my wife does as well, that's what you see in the GW picture below.:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
I have yet to find a pair of pants that can be worn year round.
I agree. I use Joe Rocket for Winter (such as it is in So Cal) but I would like to find some good mesh pants for the summer where I did not have to strip down to my undies to be comfortable.

The thing that scares me about the Joe Rocket type of mesh gear is that it seems to move around too easy - almost too easy so that in a crash it would protect everything except where it is 'designed' to protect.

I will add that I am so pleased with my Olympia Bushwhacker jacket that I am going to look at their products very seriously.

The Olympia Stealth has really caught my attention. I want to get some opinions on it. I also have a problem with sizing in that I am 6'1" but my inseam is only 30" so I have a very LONG and fat body. Tough to fit in a one piece suit.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Before you buy anything look at the site that Robeth gave you. They have an interesting article about the different types of nylon and other materials and how much protection they will give you in a crash. I was surprised to learn that most of the riding gear does not give much protection at all. If you are going to spend all that money and go through the hassle of wearing the pants then you might as well get something that will work well in a crash. I use the Olympia and are satisfied with them.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts