GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The tire plug I put in is not air tight. I'm losing about 1 lb a day. I'm going to demount the tire and boot it from the inside. I was wondering about the amp on the 06 and newer models. I remember it was a bear getting the tire in place because of the amp, what about getting the tire out. I have a hitch, so going out the back is out of the question. How do you all do it?

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
I use the lay over method it seems to work the fastest and the hitch doesn't come into play. There are a couple of vidio's on here if you have never seen it done before. I can change my rear tire old to new in less than 10 minutes and I also have a hitch on :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I have an 07 comfort/nav/audio Wing and have removed the rear tire twice. Once by using the Pitbull lift at full height and once by laying the bike on it's right side.

The amp did not come into play either time.

Putting the tire back on while up on the Pitbull was a real effort in that I had to lay on my back and "bench press" the tire up onto the lugs. I will never do that again.

Laying the bike on the right side forces the tire away from the amp which is on the left side.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
I put it on my jack pull the valve core and drop it out the bottom, I have a trailer hitch on mine also. Don't need to lube it or nothing.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I don't even know where the amp is, but it's not a factor with a 195/60/16. I have a drop tail lift so height is not a factor for me but you'll need to clear the fender or lowest obstacle to floor. Or dump the bike on it's side like many advocate.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
As you know, the amp is square behind the rear fender and must be moved out of the way if you try and change the rear tire on the center stand. For those that don't know where the amp is on the '06-'10 models, it is the square box shown in the below picture.

Even with a hitch that has a removable rear section, changing a MT is a tight squeeze, I'm not sure a CT would even fit.

The two best options are via a lift to let you drop the tire straight down OR tip the bike on its right side. Both of these methods totally take the hitch and amp out of the equation.

The "tip over" method is by far the fastest and easiest of the methods. As noted in an above post, lifting the tire up into the wheel well takes a bit of muscle. No real muscles needed to use the "tip over" method. :thumbup:

The tire plug I put in is not air tight. I'm losing about 1 lb a day. I'm going to demount the tire and boot it from the inside. I was wondering about the amp on the 06 and newer models. I remember it was a bear getting the tire in place because of the amp, what about getting the tire out. I have a hitch, so going out the back is out of the question. How do you all do it?

·
Registered
441 Posts
When I mounted my first CT a few months ago I used the layover method. It was so easy that I'll never go back to trying to install the wheel any other way.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Take off

the highway peg on right. Put down a couple bags of fertilizer or seed or sand. Lay it over. Easiest thing I have ever done. Nice to have someone to help with layover and standup.

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
I use the lay over method it seems to work the fastest and the hitch doesn't come into play. There are a couple of vidio's on here if you have never seen it done before. I can change my rear tire old to new in less than 10 minutes and I also have a hitch on :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
In a yamaha dealership even ,or parking lot of motel with riding chaps to protect chrome . :thumbup:;)

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
In a yamaha dealership even ,or parking lot of motel with riding chaps to protect chrome . :thumbup:;)
Yea forgot about the Travlinlite tire changes last year LMAO.I have done it the lay over method so many times I didn't think there was any other way LOL

·
IronMan
17,462 Posts
slime it

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Yea forgot about the Travlinlite tire changes last year LMAO.I have done it the lay over method so many times I didn't think there was any other way LOL
Yep, half way through the trip we just decided to swap out the tire for another and JP laid it over and swapped it out. First time I had seen it done that way. Thanks JP.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Yep, half way through the trip we just decided to swap out the tire for another and JP laid it over and swapped it out. First time I had seen it done that way. Thanks JP.:thumbup:
For you my friend I would change your tire any where any place. LOL Its so simple to use the layover method it kinda even makes it fun :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Layover method.... It was so easy that I'll never go back to trying to install the wheel any other way.
+ 1

just don't do it with a full tank of gas. :eek:4:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts