GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about using WD40 to remove duck tape residue from the windshield on my '05. Does anyone know if that will damage the windshield? If it will, any suggestions what else I could use?

Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Thinking about using WD40 to remove duck tape residue from the windshield on my '05. Does anyone know if that will damage the windshield? If it will, any suggestions what else I could use?

Thanks for any help.
That's what I would try first...

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
:agree: l would concur on the WD40.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Any type / brand of silicone spray would do the job well and will not damage any of the plastic or windshield.

WD-40 is also a good choice

·
Registered
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
4,313 Posts
I always use ether... aka, Starting Fluid.

Spray it on, let it set for 30 seconds or so, wipe it right off.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Goo be gone

Safe and effective.... amazing stuff! Goo-be-gone works wonders on sticky stuff....

·
Registered
802 Posts
A lot of windshields, OEM does I'm thinking, have a protective film coating that can be damaged if the wrong product is used on them. I know from past experience on an OEM GL1200 shield Rain-X made it turn hazy. So, I would be leery of using any products such as goo gone. Perhaps if one were to use it and then immediately wash it with soap and water it would not have time to be damaged. I have had good luck using olive oil to remove sticky label residue from glass jars in the past. That might be your safest route.

·
Registered
20,019 Posts
Goo Gone is one of the safer, more tolerant adhesive removers, but I think I would try WD40 first. That coating is not very tolerant to chemicals. The problem with WD40 as an adhesive remover is that it tends to be messy. It just spreads it out in a big mess. But it may still be the best choice here.

·
Premium Member
5,972 Posts
Test on a small area on the lower corner of the windshield that is only exposed when the shield is raised to max.
If you get bad results it won't show or bother your sight through the windshield.

·
Registered
849 Posts
indoor duct tape when exposed to heat or sun light will cure hard when it gets old. Soaking will need to be done.
Lots of stuff will work.
WD40 is what I use most of the time because I always have it.
Starting fluid will work how ever long term use is not recommended. But it will get it off.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Vegetable oil

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I use WD-40. It can be a bit messy getting all of the residue off, but a couple three applications of spray detailer and a frequently turned cloth will do the trick.

Like some others have said - be careful with solvents and some other cleaning agents, as they will harm the protective windshield film.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I would remove the windshield and test it on the bottom part that is never seen. This way, if you damage it, you know not to use that product on the visible part of the shield.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks to all for the input. I think I'll give the WD40 a try.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts