GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My kill switch is getting pretty sensitive and doing it's job when it's not wanted to! I know it is a recall item but I'm wondering if I can buy the repair kit and do it myself. It can be a long winter and need excuses to be out in the garage.

·
Registered
74 Posts
kill switch

Had a switch like that and it nearly got me killed. On the interstate, in busy traffic, the bike simply went dead while I was in the passing lane. As quickly as the bike died, it came back to life and I was able to get to the side of the road. Used some tape on the switch to keep it from vibrating into the off position again. Honda replaced the entire right hand control unit. I wouldn' t hesitate to get it fixed.............TC

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fair question!
Perhaps it stems from my tire dealer scratching the wheels I just spent hours, and hours, and hours polishing to a chrome look?
Perhaps it is from a dealer breaking the exhaust chamber on my '94 1500 when he unbolted the mufflers and let them drop to save him time when he removed the rear wheel?
Perhaps its from a friend almost totaling a bike (not to mention the potential for injury) because a dealer did not tighten the brake caliper after a brake job causing the the bolts to shake out and the caliper to jamb into the front wheel?
Or, perhaps it's because since I was old enough to turn a screwdriver, my favorite thing to do is take things apart and put them pack together.
Whichever excuse you pick, it's a minor repair, no special tools required, no extraordinary knowledge needed, and because I want to do it myself!

·
Chard Member
13,075 Posts
joevano said:
Perhaps it is from a dealer breaking the exhaust chamber on my '94 1500 when he unbolted the mufflers and let them drop to save him time when he removed the rear wheel?
Perhaps its from a friend almost totaling a bike (not to mention the potential for injury) because a dealer did not tighten the brake caliper after a brake job causing the the bolts to shake out and the caliper to jamb into the front wheel?
Or, perhaps it's because since I was old enough to turn a screwdriver, my favorite thing to do is take things apart and put them pack together.
Whichever excuse you pick, it's a minor repair, no special tools required, no extraordinary knowledge needed, and because I want to do it myself!
Well go ahead and buy yourself the $200 handlebar control unit and have at it! LOL....

·
Vendor
18,700 Posts
On my bike they replaced the entire upper right-hand switch assembly.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Had a simular problem with mine, it was due to corrosion or dirty contacts. I bought a can of electrically contact cleaner at Rad Shack, opened up the kill switch housing, gave all the contacts a good spray, let it dry reassembled and it's now as good as new.

Kevin

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I squirted a little WD-40 in the switch and worked it back and forth like a thousand times. It's not given me a bit of trouble ever since.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I by-passed the switch all together.

There are plenty of other ways to shut down your bike.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
wrenched said:
I by-passed the switch all together.

There are plenty of other ways to shut down your bike.
I use my side stand for a kill switch. :wink:

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Does anyone actually use the kill switch? I have never used the kill switch on all the bikes I have owned and ridden. The only purpose that switch seems to serve is to cause accidental shutdowns and troubles starting. Mine has started giving me a little trouble. I am thinking about chasing the wires and disconnecting it at the first connector.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Red, it's not a $200 repair, probably $5 worth of parts, even at Honda prices!

·
Chard Member
13,075 Posts
joevano said:
Red, it's not a $200 repair, probably $5 worth of parts, even at Honda prices!
Okay, spend $5.00 for the part and repair it. LOL... I don't like them working on my bikes either, but if you can buy the kill switch separately go for it. Myself, I wouldn't spend the big bucks for the complete assembly which I thought you would have to purchase.

If you have a good dealer they might supply the parts if the bike is still in warranty. They usually don't mind getting paid for the labor when someone else does the work. :roll:

Good Luck.........

----------------------------------

According to the parts fiche supplied by HDL the kill switch isn't available by itself. I didn't think it was. It looks like your $5.00 in parts will cost you over $100 if you want to replace it. $102 is the discounted price, $139 retail! :(

SWITCH, STARTER STOP
35013-MCA-000 $102.26

·
Registered
755 Posts
When I picked up my bike the "salesman" was busy with another customer, so he sent his wrench out to go over the bike and operational things with me.

First thing he told me was "don't use the kill switch unless it is an emergency...the things wear out fast!!!"

The "salesman" was unhappy that he had told me that when I asked him if it was covered under warranty.

I got a good chuckle out of the wrenceh telling me the truth at least.
:lol:

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
There's a kill switch? I thought that thing was to make quarters, dimes, nickles and pennies drop out the bottom of that little box! :lol:

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
My kill switch is getting pretty sensitive and doing it's job when it's not wanted to! I know it is a recall item but I'm wondering if I can buy the repair kit and do it myself
Dont think its a recall item on your bike. Only the first 7000 +/- units in 01 were covered - rest had the newer switches installed when built.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts