GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
If the threads are really bad you might try using a Heli-Coil www.helicoil.com

With these you drill out the bad threads, tap the hole oversize and install a threaded insert that is the size of the original thread.

You can get almost any size helicoil you need at Napa stores (at least you can in my area). You can usually buy a kit that includes the drill, tap and a good supply of inserts.

·
Registered
48 Posts
You need a (metric) tap, size 8x1.25. You should be able to find an inexpensive (cheap) set with 5 taps and T-handle at your local auto parts store for under $10.00. I was able to clean up some boogered threads on my buddy's 1800. Swore he'd never try that again. Now he brings his bike and accessories to my house for install!

Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
yes, what Steve suggests as a first...if that does not work then the heli coil route. Cleaning the threads up with a tap is not hard..just take your time.

:yw1:

·
Registered
994 Posts
Drives2Fast2 said:
You need a (metric) tap, size 8x1.25. You should be able to find an inexpensive (cheap) set with 5 taps and T-handle at your local auto parts store for under $10.00. I was able to clean up some boogered threads on my buddy's 1800. Swore he'd never try that again. Now he brings his bike and accessories to my house for install!

Good Luck.
It may not be that critical for the seat but I recommend that you spend the money and get a good set of taps. The inexpensive (cheap) may not have been ground to same tolerances and you may make the threads TOO loose. They also tend to break easier and then you have a real mess on your hands.

JMHO

·
Registered
94 Posts
Mine started to strip. I took it apart and ran the bolt through from the back side and it cleaned up the threads. If they are just in the beginning stages of stripping, this might help. I also need to buy a good set of taps and dies. Anyone have an idea where to buy and how much?

·
Registered
226 Posts
if you need A tap buy ONE ....a good one
and you will probably need a T handle altho
i dont use them.......i just dont see a reason
to buy a set and get a lot of sizes i will NEVER
use....in any case buy good (made in usa)
ones they do work better

·
Extra Spicy Seasoned Member
1,448 Posts
When you get the treads all cleaned out go to you auto parts strore and get a stick of anti sieze. It's dry, not messy, and use it on any screw that goes into aluminum and does not need locktite.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I tried to buy a tap for the seat threads and couldn't find just a single tap. (Yes, I tried Sears hardware) I made my own tap by getting a proper bolt from a hardware store and slicing a few longitudinal cuts down through the threads with a cut-off wheel. Worked perfectly and will not over cut the hole/thread size. I always try to use anti-sieze on anything that does not require Locktite.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I cross threaded one of the seat bolts on my Wing when I first installed the Road Sofa seat last year. I found the proper tap and a die (to clean up the threads on the bolt) at Sears. I didn't bother with a T handle, just used a small cresent wrench for the tap, and held the die with a big wrench.

·
Registered
380 Posts
When I needed a tap for my seat, I went to a local auto parts store and bought just the one I needed. Maybe you'll be lucky and find one at a local auto parts store near you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts