GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped to help a stranded other brand a few weeks ago and let them use a couple of the tools I had that came with my wing (they had nothing with them). Went looking for the kit last night and noticed it was missing. I don't think I left them at the scene, but where can I pick up another OEM kit? I checked HDL. Should I assemble my own based on Fred's video?

Please don't tell the Mrs. or the price of the kit will go up (I'll have hell to pay).

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
I put together my own tool kit. I used a "Bucket Boss" roll up tool bag and I carry a complete set of ¼" and 3/8th" metric sockets, with extentions, various wrench's two sets of allen wrenches ( english & metric ), screw drivers, and cresent wrnches.

I can do all most every repair necessary on the road. I also carry a complete set of electrical tools and a soldering iron.

I'm a member of the SCRC and, although, break downs are rare, it's nice to have the tools to get someone going.

The only thing that I'm looking to add to the mix is a set of jumper cables.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I would build my own kit. Those tool kits are made a cheaply as possible.

A 1/4" socket set, some metric wrenches, pliers and screwdrivers will pretty much exceed the contents of your factory set. You can get fancier if you like.

I got a $20 air compressor from Harbor Freight, a $10 set of jumper cables from Kragen, a flashlight, tire pressure gauge, tire repair kit, Small roll of duct tape and a few other items. I use a canvas bag that holds most of the stuff to keep it together in my left saddlebag.

You take what makes you feel comfortable.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I'm with Richard. For 63 bucks, build your own. The standard kit is rather limited anyway. You can remove the wheels for one thing. The HRCA had a Swiss Army Knife style allen wrench tool that had all of the hex sizes, however, a better choice is a kit like Fred carries with which he could pretty well disassemble the bike. It doesn't take too much. Basically, get a socket wrench and just take the appropriate sized sockets and hex bits (much faster than Allen wrenches) and snap the sockets and bits you need on a socket holder. I keep mine sorted out this way all the time so I don't have to keep hunting for the right sizes. You can put everything you need in an old sock, especially a boot or ski sock.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
J-mac said:
this is my tool kit. I keep this mainly to help other bikers while out on Group rides with the Southern Crusiers Riding Club

sorry about the links, but I screwed something up and it would not post a picture :oops:
You just forgot to add the http:// to the beginning...

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
ooops, Thanx for fixing that :oops: :oops: :oops:

BTW: with that tool kit, I can do anything to my 1800 on the road that I would normally do in my garage, including replacing the air filter, to replacing both wheels and brakes, I also carry a multimeter and small air compressor with tire repair kit.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
OK, now you got sumthin to fix the bike.
Got anything to fix the riders?
Like a trauma or first aid kit?

Remember, bikes can be replaced.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dawg,

Couple hundred and counting and recounting and marking the calendar and double checking the count...

Twyn

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Darn-it, I just tried the the Duluth Link and it appears they no longer carry the "Roll"

you may have to go to Home Cheapo or Lowes to see if they carry it....sorry

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
G

·
I got this kit at a Meijer store (in Michigan) a couple years ago. I have not seen them there since, but I suspect the Shop Force brand is carried by other stores around the country. They might even have a web site.

Nice kit..compact and everything easy to find and easy to store. Good quality. I added a couple of open end wrenches and a pair of pliers.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
John,

With that socket set and a few wrenches you have more than enough to take care of about anything that should come along! :D A nice compact outfit. You have everything covered including accessories that might have SAE hardware.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts