GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the DFW area and always take an annual trip for about two weeks. If you look at my website you can see that I have a habit of going to Colorado.

I love Colorado and never tire of it, but I feel that I should try something different. So if you have toured northern Arizona or southern Utah, please give me some advise on things I should see and roads I shouldn't miss. Also, I'd appreaciate advise on the best time of year to do this, as I understand it gets pretty hot in some places.

Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I really enjoyed Sedona/Flagstaff area,Grand Canyon,Prescott/Jerome area and AZ. Hwy 191 while I visited AZ.
For Southern UT. I enjoyed Arches,Dead horse point,Canyonland near Moab,Capitol Reef,Bryce,Zion, Scenic Hwy 12 from Torrey UT. to Red Canyon just west of Bryce.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Home Sick

You guys are making me home sick!!!!!!

I plan to be in AZ (Tempe) at Thanksgiving (about two weeks). I can't wait!

Enjoy the ride and take pictures!!

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Southern Utah is spectacular in the fall. Check out Moab (Archs NP), Canyonland NP, Bryce Canyon and Zion Canyon NP's. Drop down into Arizona via Monument Valley or visit the North Rim of the Grand Canyon before it closes for the winter. Canyon de Chelly is a must see all with great roads connecting the various sites.

Suggestions for Sedona, Jerome and Prescott are great destinations with one road in common 89A! Well worth the ride with plenty of places to see, stay and eat.

We too find ourselves enjoying Colorado but not before we take time to check out No. Arizona and So. Utah. Usually we take 2 -3 weeks every year to make the loop.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
We based at the Comfort Inn in Kanab for two nights. Made it easy to see Bruce,Zion and the north rim.Highway 12 is in my top three of favorite roads.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
158 Posts
I love leaving Blanding Ut head west to Hanksville over to Torrey then on to escalente and Bryce canyon. This will take you across S utah and the entire ride is beautiful. You will close to Monument Valley and mexican hat when you are in Blanding. PM me if you want some exact details. These are my favorite roads in Utah. Below is a ling with many pic from southern Utah. Utah pic start at 1:41 sec

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253336

·
Registered
581 Posts
Lots of good advice already!! The trip up 89A is a must going from Prescott to Jerome then into Sedona and up to Flagstaff. In southern Utah I agree that one of the best towns to stay in is Kanab, Ut. You can stay a few days and see the north rim of the Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, Escalante, Lake Powell and do it all from Kanab. Someone mentioned Rt. 191 which is out in far eastern Arizona. That is one of the best unknown great rides in Az., going from Clifton/Morency up to Alpine and Springerville. It is out of the way but worth it if you have the time. It is high elevation, up to 10,000 ft. in Hannigan Meadow, so could be weather issues by November. Also Rt. 60 going up thru the Salt River to or from Show Low is a great ride. On the eastern end of Az. you have Canyon De Chelly (pronounced de shay), Monument Valley, Four Corners then possibly up to Moab, Ut. This all depends on the amount of time you have!! There is an awful lot to see!! I have been thru all these areas many, many times. If you have any specific questions p.m. me and I'll do my best to answer any questions!!

·
Registered
1,665 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Boy, I just received a lot of good info. It'll take me a while to digest. Thanks, guys for the great suggestions, routes and video. I'll start playing with the maps to see how much I can include.

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
Suggested trip:

Outbound Leg: http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=A...p=8&sz=10&via=1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11&t=m&z=6

Return Leg: http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=A...src=6&mra=dpe&mrsp=1&sz=8&via=1,2,3,4&t=m&z=6

Highlights:

Scenic Hwys:
-AZ Hwy-74, 77, 89/89A, 180
-NM Hwy-82
-UT Hwy-12, 24, 64, 89, 95, 180

Parks:
-Bryce Canyon Nat'l Park
-Zion Nat'l Park
-White Sands Nat'l Park
-Grand Cyn Nat'l Park (North and South Rims)
-Cedar Breaks Nat'l Park

I added Bryce Canyon for ya

·
Registered
805 Posts
If you are coming to utah you will not want to miss why 12. The highway takes off just outside of Capitol reef national park (great ride) then takes you through boulder and escalante towns. I live in boulder. Beautiful mountains thick with trees then you drive over the slick rock hogs back which is called the road of no u turns, you'll see why. From escalante then you can drive to Bryce canyon national park, beautiful and then on to Zion national park. If you want any details jujt message me and I would be happy to help you plan a bit. My web site (I am a professional photographer) is www.heatonphoto.com has a bunch of images from this area. If you need some help with lodging let me know.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Boy, I just received a lot of good info. It'll take me a while to digest. Thanks, guys for the great suggestions, routes and video. I'll start playing with the maps to see how much I can include.
Robert,
I'm leading ten bikes from DFW to Park City in June 2012, Beautiful as it is, I to want a different route other than the Million Dollar highway and Red Rock Canyon.
Let us know how it goes
Ted

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Robert,
I'm leading ten bikes from DFW to Park City in June 2012, Beautiful as it is, I to want a different route other than the Million Dollar highway and Red Rock Canyon.
Let us know how it goes
Ted
Try going up through Arizona Hwy 191 (Coronado Trail) all the way up into the reservations, Monument Valley and hooking up with Hwy 12 in Utah would make a great trip and departure from the norm. Just a thought.

·
Registered
9,537 Posts
ALEXB's routing has pretty well nailed all the good stuff...

Best time of year? April or late September/early October.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Utah, Arizona

The north rim of the Grand Canyon isn't as crowded but the views are far superior and more viewing points from the south rim. Do not miss Monument Valley at sunset, ohh my! The east entrance road into Zion NP is really good too. Have fun.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts