GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
07 with 90,000 miles. Last night at hiway speeds the bike would stutter/cough, kind of like running out of gas, then back to running ok. Today has gotten more frequent. Seems more pronounced when trying to hold steady throttle.Idling like crap.
Plan a is to try and limp it home, I'm 450 miles out.

Suggestions?
greginky

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
bad gas is my guess with the info supplied.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
You might have water in the gas. You may try and get some gas additive that made for clearing up water in the gas.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Could be lots of things.....

You might check the plug wires, see if one is fallen and arcing to the engine, with covers off you can see that in the dark.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,198 Posts
Open the gas cap and see if it makes a difference. At idle, can you tell if it's running richer than normal?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Definately rich, Milage is down to 26 mpg. was raining at hotel this morning, so didn't check plug wires. good dose of fuel treatment, no improvement. This is Baffling seems to run ok at times,other times buck jumping and carrying on.
greg

only 220 more miles to home.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,198 Posts
I think when you get home you will need to check the fuel pressure. Maybe your fuel pressure regulator has failed.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
What is the level of the tank when it acts up? Below half? You mentioned rain this time. Was it always in conjunction with wet roads?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Home OK, Last tank I overdosed it with Lucas fuel treatment about 2 oz per gallon. And I left the gas cap really loose(off). Last 75 miles trouble free, mileage almost back to normal.
As for the rain question, No, the problem didn't get worse or betteron wet roads. Rough roads seemed to make it worse. That had me thinking that I had shook a sensor or some other electrical component loose.
Thanks for everyones help.
greginky

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,198 Posts
OK, try it again with the gas cap on tight and see what it does. You may have just had some really dirty injectors.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Check your gas cap vent it might be plugged. This starves the fuel and then when it releases it floods the system.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think I just had bad gas/water. As for the decreased millage, I used plenty of Lucas to move the water on thru the bike. I have ridden to work the last three days (60miles rt) . Performance is back to normal.
Thanks everyone for the help.
greginky

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,198 Posts
Welcome to the board MailmanB! There's only a screen in the gas tank on the pump pickup. I think he had some deposits clogging his injectors.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts