GL1800Riders Forums banner

need wireing advice

981 views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Jim n Judy 
#1 ·
I don't know much about wireing but I bought a cigarete lighter plug setup for $5 at the local hardware store, it comes with both plug and receptical and 10 foot of 18awg wire. I hope to cut off the receptical along with about 4 feet of wire, install a 10 amp inline fuse and connect it direct to the battery then run it into the trunk. Hope to use it to power a small compressor or phone. Is the wire and fuse size OK? thanks for any helpfull advice

#2 ·
Not sure about the 18 gague wire but I think that's ok. The 10amp
fuse will get you about 120 watts (maybe 140), that's enough to
run a cell phone for sure. Compressor I don't know, when I'm
car camping I use a 120V compressor for inflating air mattresses
and that pulls everything my 500 watt peak inverter will put out.

Make sure it's waterproof, maybe checkout how the factory trunk
power outlet installs for some ideas.

#4 ·
18 gauge is too small. If you are going to run a ciggy lighter use #14 awg wire. that is good for 15 amps, which will run anything you wanna plug into it. also run it directly to the battery, with an inline fuse..or use an auxiliary fuse block, fused for 15 amps for your ciggy lighter. there will be too much voltage drop if you run 18 gauge for the ciggy lighter. be best if the wire is copper and not steel.

#5 ·
Radio Shack double bullet connectors

I prefer to use these connectors instead of ciggarette lighter adapters, which I think are too big and awkward. You can get them at Radio Shack for about 50 cents each.

Not only are they smaller and cheaper, but they also are more reliable, water resistant, and make a better connection.

#6 ·
The voltage drop across 3 feet (loop) of 18 AWG at 10 amps is .411 volts which equates to around 4 watts... about 3% of the total wattage drawn at 10amps. 18 AWG should not be a problem. Also not many accessories draw 10 amps. At 15 amps the power loss goes up to 6 watts also not a problem.

#7 ·
May I suggest just ordering the trunk power socket from E/C - plug n play and will take care of your cell phone, etc.

Then order E/C heated clothing receptacle, comes complete with heavy wiring and fuse straight to the battery. Order extra male plugs. I set mine up on the right side. I use mine to plug in the battery tender or compressor or heated clothing.

Just my opinion

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.