GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have need for either 4 Maintainer / Chargers or one Maintainer / Charger to do multiple batteries.
I have four different vehicles that I put up a few months in storage and would like to keep the Batteries topped off, but not overcharged.

Any ideas which are the best ?
Thank you
Ken

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Rotate one charger/maintainer every couple weeks to the next battery. If the battery can't go more than a few weeks or a months w/o some maintainence charging its on its way out and needs replacing.
I rotate a couple (the Deltran JR went shoes up) smart chargers/maintainers among a dozen or more batteries over the off season(s). Even the Wing will go a month or more in the cold with very little voltage drop.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
A multi battery tender will work IF, all the batteries are close to each other. I have a 2 battery Deltran unit but MUST park the bikes close together to make it work. I have tenders for everything but they are singles except for the 1 experiment. It would be quite the commitment to buy a 4 battery unit. I’d think battery removal to use it.

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
I have four bikes and each has it's own Deltran tender... If you wanted to use the four unit tender, I think most people remove the batteries and have them sitting together all hooked up to the multi-tender.

Jetta's correct, you can use one tender and rotate it amongst the batteries, but I personally don't want to be part of the "maintainer" staff having to keep up with doing the rotation... I hook them up and walk away... just glance to see the little green light is on...... once in a while...

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
You can use one of these:
Office supplies Musical instrument accessory Personal care Stationery Plastic

Or four of these:
Text Technology Font Brand Cable

Either way, you should be happy with their performance.

·
Registered
7,717 Posts
I have the four in one, and keep my batt's charged all winter...................It works! I have one on my bike's batt, and another on my boat batt

Ronnie

Reactions: Sniper60

·
Registered
2,711 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
I use a single Schumacher charger/maintainer and switch between batteries every few weeks.
I will suggest you read up on whatever brand you are thinking about. I prefer one that has the ability to charge a battery from dead. Some will not charge a battery that is below around 9 volts. I foolishly killed the 2 batteries in my diesel truck to completely dead and the Schumacher was able to charge them both up overnight enough to start the truck the next day. Not bad for a unit that is about 8" x 3" x 4".

·
Vendor
22,561 Posts
I think you have to look at the cost factor and decide whether a single unit or multiple units make the most sense. Multiple units will give you more flexibility, and if one burns up, you have only lost one unit, where if a multi-unit fails then you have lost all four.

There are several cheap options on Amazon for maintainers. For smaller batteries you really don't need a big charger. One example might be the Noco Genius 1 (1 amp charger) on Amazon for $30. This is good charger/maintainer for motorcycle batteries. For a car battery, I'd probably go with a 5 amp charger.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I've only owned one Deltran charger/maintainer and it came with the Wing. It failed soon after I got it. It turns on the "Charged/Storage" light at 12.2 volts and won't charge/maintain past that amount. The Schumacher smart charger and generic WalMart $9.99 one still work properly.

·
Administrator
5,343 Posts
At the risk of being flamed, and my fingers' on the delete button ;), my brother has had great luck for many years with the HF charger and I think they're on sale now for ~ $6 ea. Believe they're maintainers.

·
Banned
1,619 Posts
I have need for either 4 Maintainer / Chargers or one Maintainer / Charger to do multiple batteries.
I have four different vehicles that I put up a few months in storage and would like to keep the Batteries topped off, but not overcharged.

Any ideas which are the best ?
Thank you
Ken

Deltran. Period.

·
Registered
740 Posts
At the risk of being flamed, and my fingers' on the delete button ;), my brother has had great luck for many years with the HF charger and I think they're on sale now for ~ $6 ea. Believe they're maintainers.
Ah, yes, the power to censor. Intoxicating. NOCO and Battery Tender Plus are two great brands, but watch your battery type. My AGM requires a very specific and narrow range of voltages. BTP is the "go to" for sealed units.

·
Love The DCT
12,817 Posts
Ah, yes, the power to censor. Intoxicating. NOCO and Battery Tender Plus are two great brands, but watch your battery type. My AGM requires a very specific and narrow range of voltages. BTP is the "go to" for sealed units.
Are you saying the NOCO and Battery Tender Plus charger/maintainers are not suitable for charging the AGM battery you have?

·
Registered
740 Posts
Are you saying the NOCO and Battery Tender Plus charger/maintainers are not suitable for charging the AGM battery you have?
NO, not at all. The Beltran Battery Tender Junior I use has a slow trickle rate (@ 750mA) with a microprocessor that goes into, and out of float mode once sensing optimal charge. You can literally leave the thing attached for years without worrying about overcharging.

Attachments

·
Vendor
22,561 Posts
The NOCO Genius model has a separate mode just for AGM, as well as one for lithium batteries. You just have to select the battery type you have and plug it in.

$30 on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W46BX31

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
NO, not at all. The Beltran Battery Tender Junior I use has a slow trickle rate (@ 750mA) with a microprocessor that goes into, and out of float mode once sensing optimal charge. You can literally leave the thing attached for years without worrying about overcharging.
Yes, my Deltran Jr can be left on any battery for years w/o fear of overcharging because the worthless thing will only bring the battery up to 12.2 volts then goes into float mode.
I will Never buy another one. Overpriced and the first charger I've ever had that malfunctioned.

·
Love The DCT
12,817 Posts
Yes, my Deltran Jr can be left on any battery for years w/o fear of overcharging because the worthless thing will only bring the battery up to 12.2 volts then goes into float mode.
I will Never buy another one. Overpriced and the first charger I've ever had that malfunctioned.
My experience is just the opposite of yours. I still have the original 1.25 amp Super Smart Battery Tender that Deltran manufactured for the powersport market in 1991. Still works great.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
I now have nine Deltran Battery Tender Jr.'s, some of them are over 10 years old, and all of them work great.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts