GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience with the Nelson Rigg GWS-500 rear seat bag? And in particular, is it a big problem opening the trunk with it on the seat?

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I used the Nelson Rigg in the past. Without disconnecting any straps, I could not open the trunk.

I no longer use this bag and have since gone to a waterproof duffel...if you go with the duffel, try to find one that has a purge valve.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
teepee said:
...Why did you switch?
Mainly because I could not open the trunk with the bag in place...I had to unstrap the bag and actually take it off the seat every time I opened the trunk...and I use my trunk often.

In addition, the bag is not waterproof...that's why they suggest using the liners.

So I went to a waterproof duffel. I purchased a small size and that turned out to be plenty large enough. But I did make a mistake by not purchasing one with a purge valve. Most waterproof duffels are the fold-over type. Because they are waterproof, they are also air-tight. Once the top is folded over, it becomes difficult to roll closed. A purge valve helps greatly in pressing out the excess air and making the duffel smaller.

Hope that helps!

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i use the much larger weekender 100% waterproof bag from nelson riggs

it has numerous mounting options

so i attach it so it will tilt foward, to allow me to open the trunk

the rider backrest helps hold it exactly in place

i also have a hitch cooler rack, that the weekende bag fits on if i really need to load it up

·
Registered
826 Posts
Had one for about 4 years. Traveled all over the country. Never remove it except to take it in at night and I get in the trunk most every stop. Just push a little. Never used the rain cover and have ridden for many days in heavy rain. Sprayed it with a can of silicone waterproofing I got at WalMart. Makes a good backrest too. Used so much it is starting to fade from sun exposure.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. I think I'll just keep using my dufflebag. It's served me well and is still in good shape. You know how it goes. Want. Need? Want. Need? :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts