GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

There is no doubt that a few of you may have already thought of this but never the less, here it is.
I saw a guy with a Goldwing with neon lights under the plastic housing that are mounted in fount of the radiators.
If you reach under the center bar that crossed in front of the radiators you will find that they are hollow.
A 6” Neon light can be mounted in this area using a foam double-sided tape or silicone adhesive. I will use a double-sided foam I get at work.
I will connect the light fixtures to the unused 12 Vdc accessory supply plug under the left fairing box. When these lights are installed they fill the radiator area with light and make a great visible running light and attract the attention of any one traveling along side of you.

I got the lights at Advanced Auto.

OPTX (Optimum Performance Technology) By Sweet Glow
Ultra Mini Neon 6”
OP6PR

When you see it you will want it on your bike

Ride safe

Van 8)

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Sounds great! But :wink: sort of depends on what color your bike is and what color the neons are. :lol:
Tell us you don't have an orange wing with green neons![/b] :roll:
My show truck has hundreds of lights of one variety or another. Be very very sure you seal all electrical connections very very well. The neons operate on several thousand volts (at almost no current) and the high voltage transformer that supplies the power will self destruct in an instant if water gets into the circuit and gives that high voltage any path to ground. Silicon sealant inside pieces of plastic soda straw will work if you don't have shrink tubing. And even then, seal the shrink tubing because it doesn't seal out water when it shrinks down on the connection.
Just another :roll: more than you wanted to hear post :hun1: from DC

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
I would also suggest you check on what your state or province has for regulations regarding the colour of lights you install.

Where I live, you may only have white or amber lights to the front, red or amber to the rear, all others are illegal. No exceptions, even if they are on a separate switch.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
You also need to be careful of the color due to restrictions each state might have.

For instance, in FL, you aren't allowed to have red displayed on the front of the vehicle and no blue lights at all. Those are designated for emergency vehicles.

States will vary.

Dep

G

·
0 Posts
I thought that some of these neon kits can cause radio interference. Granted, this could be badly outdated information, but if you're adapting a system intended for car use, it may be worth looking into.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
The less expensive transformers usually do cause noise, but he should be ok in this case. Location to the bikes wiring is what determines noise more than anything.

On the 2006 and newer bikes, you cannot do this as the vent is run inside this area.

Problem with Neon is uses more power and is affected by temperature (can be dim when cold out). LEDs don't have these issues.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have a full set of Boogey Lights neon installed on my '06.

I get no interference from the transformers on the radio or satellite radio. I do get some buzzing in the CB which goes away if I turn the squelch up a couple of settings higher. Does not interfere with the communications at all. Have not noticed any interference with any other electronics at all.

The coldest I have had them on is 57 with no noticable difference in illumination. Will have to wait a while for it to get colder here in Florida to see if that changes.

Boogey lights are pre shaped to fit the different areas of the wing such as the intake vents, upper cowling, lower cowling, radiator exhaust vents, under the saddle bags, etc. I'm installing one more behind the license plate next week.

The nice thing about the neon is you don't get those bright spots like LED's do although they look fine on bikes with a lot of chrome. On the wing the neon gives more of an even glow.

Click here for some photos of the neon on the bike.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Dream catcher wrote: And even then, seal the shrink tubing because it doesn't seal out water when it shrinks down on the connection.

Years ago I use to help a friend of mine ( now gone to better places) install submersible pumps for water wells when he was desperate for help. He used a shrink tubing that had a water sealent inside of them. When you heated the tubing the (silicon?) would run out and seal off the ends of the tube. He would also tape over them. Guess that tubing is still around, perhaps at a plumbing supply or a place that installs water well pumps. Hope that may be a usefull tib-bit for those of you that may need a water tight elec seal. Then again there may be better things on the market today.
My 2cents worth is usually in confederate money----zero value.

·
Registered
155 Posts
hollow?

Hi just so as you know the bar you are talking about on the 2006 2007 models , it is not hollow. Just to save you any time.

cheers

·
Registered
839 Posts
Van,

I had 12 inch neon lights in my radiator area. Never had a problem with the transformer at all. I moved them to under the saddlebags on each side of my exhaust because they didn't put off the amount of light I wanted. I found some flexable LED strips that I am using that are putting off more reflective light. So far I have over 200 LED lights on the bike and 4 12" neon, ordered another 4 neon lights and will be adding another 300 - 500 LED lights. So far I've paid about $50.00. All mine are red, I may try some blue in a few areas but staying close to the bike color.

Never worried about the police. Red and blue are not allowed because they are emergency lights but most police won't stop you if your on a gold wing. Have run with mine many of time, one of the guys in our chapter runs with his and his are blue.

I love them, neon and LED lights are very, very inexpensive and can be mounted anywhere.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
I have gone back and clarified something in my first post regarding transformers. I'll restate it here:

Cheaply built transformers are more likely to create noise. The big what if is location, location, location. The Transformers that Boogey Lights uses are the best in the 12 volt business.

·
Co-Sponsor
444 Posts
also remember any color light but amber in the front and red in the rear is not legal in any of the states. Any flashing light is not legal no matter what color. Flashing lights are restricted to towing, and emergency vehicles (fire, police, etc). So yes you can get pulled over for having blue, purple, red, greeen whatever color neon on your bike, same for leds and any other aux lighting

·
Registered
839 Posts
Yes they are illegal, so is speeding, but most people use them as parade lights only, so its not an issue.

Just use common sense.

·
Tattooed Freak
510 Posts
Fortuneteller said:
Yes they are illegal, so is speeding, but most people use them as parade lights only, so its not an issue.

Just use common sense.
you hit that right on the head. i do run my lights on sometimes. but it depends what town i'm in. click the kink to see radiator lights in action.

http://s90.photobucket.com/albums/k256/ ... -06006.flv

·
Registered
124 Posts
I used LED's instead of neon. Virtuall no power draw, and lots of light!

[/img]

·
Registered
124 Posts
Just a Kodak 4.0 megapixel DX6490

1 - 20 of 22 Posts