Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3,000,000 - 5,000,000

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, a board member just bought a new bike...yet a few months ago, he was contemplating bankruptcy. Matt, I think, had it right, but I would like other opinions. To buy a new bike, what'cha think your net worth ought'a be? We're taking assets - liabilities = net worth.

·
Are we there yet?
2,344 Posts
Never count wealth with money. >Robert DuVal.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I don't get the point of this poll. Should goldwings/motorcycles be reserved for the wealthy and financially independent only? It all depends on what a persons values are. In this country it is a requirement that you have reliable transportation to hold a job. If a person lives in a climate that allows a bike to be ridden year round like where I live then it is not unusual for a person to own a bike only instead of an automobile. Or, if they live where they can use public transportation as thier way to and from work why not have a motorcycle only? The decision to own and ride a motorcycle is independent of a persons financial status in society.

BTW- I voted $0 to $25,000

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
There is a BIG difference between making a living and making a life.

I find it amusing to see someone measure 'net worth' in dollars. I have known some individuals with a high net asset value that were not worth squat, and others that had negative assets that really had a high net worth. And for what purpose? We all wind up filling a hole in the ground.

Judge ye not - ..........

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I don't feel that this kind of info is anyone's business.
Also, don't want to be in a position of judging anyone either!
This is a BAD poll! Kill it, before you get nasty replies.

·
Registered
338 Posts
An old man who had recently been diagnosed with terminal cancer and had been a very frugal financially responsible hard worker told me:

Spend it before it gets gone.

At 35 most roll their eyes saying both I'm too young and unwise for spending nearly 20K on just a bike.

Yet, the time with the wife & the riding mini vacations away from the phone, headaches, family turmoils, etc. is hard to quantify.

What is the worth of that? How much would one pay / go into debot for / overextend / etc. to ride a wing (with spouse) and meet the people you have!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Sounds like a bunch of folks tryin to feel better about themselves to me :roll:

To many people spend their whole life trying to make money and forget about making a life :(

How about, how many people are on their 2nd, 3rd, or 4th marriage? That oughta get it going.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I get your point, but then again, a dream is a dream.

In my opinion, you should be worth as much as it takes, and that is going
vary by a few $$$ for those us us that ride :)

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Millions and Millions.....

Spending a day with my youngest daughter and grand daughter, chatting on the patio with my son having a cold one and making my famous Bubba-Q, chatting with my other daughter and her husband when they visit and going out to dinner, remembering the old times, "making 'the best dinner', even better than Mom !"
Movies and popcorn at THEIR choice of movies. The Taste of Chicago on a Tuesday...... Yep, I'd say my net worth, as far as Family is concerned, is in the Millions !!!

Oh yea, and the Wing makes it all the better when they say that "Dad/Granddad" wants Saturday all to himself to ride and have fun, and everyone is in agreement. :D

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Jeeeez .. it's just a poll.

We get asked this kind of crap when we buy all kinds of things.

I think money is a subject that seems as touchy as sex. And we all have both subjects in common. I think if we were taught more about both subjects we could all learn a few things that would help us avoid some pitfalls and celebrate some victories.

·
Registered
193 Posts
crawdad said:
Hijack alert:
OK DC, I'll start it off:
30 years with 1 wife...still falling in love with her.
Same here crawdad, 30 years last March :wink:

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
I don't know what a person's net worth should be before buying a Wing so I won't vote. But I will say you should have some savings so that an unexpected $2,000 expense doesn't spin you into the brink of bankruptcy. You should have enough money or credit to be able to handle talking care of a loved one's final arrangements. However, if you don't (I can understand how things happen), and you accept money from a bunch of well meaning individuals on a message board, you should REALLY NEED IT!!! That means not spending what you do have on more chrome for the Wing.

My net worth is probably a lot less than a lot of people on this board but I have money put away in the bank, I invest in funds every payday and I have tons of credit available to me in case something really bad happens. I can't imagine taking money from strangers or cyber-friends on a message board - I wouldn't be able to show my face let alone buy new BLING for the Wing. I'd sell the Wing first. That's worst case and I'm making sure I stay in a position where the chances of that happening are pretty remote.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Since you have not specified any units on your numbers, something my old engineering professors would utterly zap you for, then I assume we can pick any units we want and not necessaily $$$. :D

How about these units to name a few:
1. "number of unwarranted acts of kindness I have performed in my lifetime"
2. "number of times I have refrained from flipping someone off in traffic (please Lord, not this one :oops: )"
3. "number of sunsets I have enjoyed watching with a cold beer after catching a trophy bass"
4. "number of trophy bucks have I taken under 10 yards with a bow"
5. "how many miles I have put on my Goldwing"

... the list goes on. Wouldn't these would make better measurements of true wealth than $$$ any old day?

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
I don't think there is enough relevance to ones net worth to a Goldwing. If it's used as daily transportation, then it's a hell of a bargain compared to most cars. If it's a weekend toy then you better have a goal for retirement savings and be on-goal before buying $20,000 toys. But it's not for me to determine what someone's goals should be.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Over the past seven years I watched my father slowly lose his retirement dreams due to dying of cancer. His wonderful net worth was ate away paying for meds and Doctors. I have never lived my life as a servant to creating a huge bank account. I do my best to provide a lifestyle we can enjoy and enjoy life and not have wait until retirement to enjoy. I also am not in the habit of broadcasting my net worth or lack there of to anyone. Nor do I really care what any one else makes or is worth. It would not change my mind about if I enjoy your company or not. Over the 22 years of owning 4 Wings (84 new, 88 new, 77 used & 05 new) I have been a poor Navy squid barely making it, to doing better than that. Motorcycling is an enjoyment that I have had in my life for many years and I have been lucky enough to find a partner who shares my love of riding and touring. It's not my place to judge if someone can own a Wing nor should it be yours. The only one who can make that determination is the person making the purchase. I have made my own financial decisions since I was in my teens. Some have been good and some not so good, but have always stood behind them and even learned a couple of good lessons. The bottom line is when someone purchases a new Wing it is not up to you or I to judge if it is a financially sound idea. Each of us have our own sense of worth and what is important. What works for you may not work for someone else i.e. "your mileage may vary" :lol:

You might as well enjoy life, none of us are going to get out of it alive. :twisted:

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I like HelmetDance's thought process.

6. How many times today did I make my wife smile because I told her I loved her? (For 30 years, too)

7. How good of a job did I do at work today; did I do a day's work for a day's pay?

8. How do people look at me as a person? I'm far from perfect, but try to be a decent guy.

etc, etc.

I'm doing the best I can to save for retirement, because more than anything else, I don't want my sweetie to worry about the future. But that's my choice, and there are others that don't agree with me and live for today because tomorrow isn't guaranteed. I don't work hard to save every penny, and I don't spend every last one, either. There is, for me, a middle point that works for us. That's all that matters.

ps, I didn't vote because my opinion really doesn't matter to anyone else.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Enough to get the loan and make payment frequently enough to keep from getting it repoed. Thats all it takes. Thats all that matters if ya want to ride a wing or any bike.
Net worth - Whats it matter
Ya want a bike get it
If you even care about somebody elses net worth when it come to owning / riding a bike your way too anal and are in need of a serious long ride on your bike - whether someone else thinks you can afford it, or should I say worthy of owning it - chill out and enjoy your life

750valk

·
Gold Member
1,425 Posts
William Anzik said:
I don't know what a person's net worth should be before buying a Wing so I won't vote. But I will say you should have some savings so that an unexpected $2,000 expense doesn't spin you into the brink of bankruptcy. You should have enough money or credit to be able to handle talking care of a loved one's final arrangements. However, if you don't (I can understand how things happen), and you accept money from a bunch of well meaning individuals on a message board, you should REALLY NEED IT!!! That means not spending what you do have on more chrome for the Wing.

My net worth is probably a lot less than a lot of people on this board but I have money put away in the bank, I invest in funds every payday and I have tons of credit available to me in case something really bad happens. I can't imagine taking money from strangers or cyber-friends on a message board - I wouldn't be able to show my face let alone buy new BLING for the Wing. I'd sell the Wing first. That's worst case and I'm making sure I stay in a position where the chances of that happening are pretty remote.
Funny thing is William, in the county I and the other person you are refering to live he is a highly respected contributor to society and would bend over backwards to give another a hand up. He's got all his own teeth and an enduring and loving relationship with his wife. I guess it all depends on your perspective.

You would be absolutely giddy with self indulgence to meet the common folk around here and bistow your wisdom on them. Ya'll come now, ya hear??

Bradford

1 - 20 of 26 Posts