GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from NM. 2009 GL1800. About 60k miles. Rode a few weeks ago and the bike ran great, as usual. Pushed it out today to ride to work. Took off the battery tender from the relatively new Interstate battery. Turned key to on, neutral light flashed and then went out. Lights are not on. Nothing showing on the little GW screen. Bike is in neutral. Hit starter button- nothing. Checked fuses- all fine. Checked starter relay by switching it out- no change- bike seems dead. When turning key on- neutral light either goes on then off, or flickers a bit and then off. Did some research here and on Docs but don’t see anything that helped. I’ll be the first to admit I’m not good with troubleshooting electrical issues. Ideas or suggestions? Thank you in advance for any help! Fred

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Fred......

Make sure the battery cables are clean and tight.

Check the condition of your battery. 1) Voltage at rest (key off). 2) Voltage with key on and starter button pressed.

Report back.....!

·
Registered
606 Posts
Check the voltage at the battery. You do not have to be an electrical wiz to check the battery voltage. As long as you have a voltmeter that will measure DC, just check the voltage on the battery. Battery tenders do go bad once in a while and the battery doesn't charge. Fuses blow and then there is no connection between the battery tender and the battery. That can cause the battery to go flat.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I know you said you checked your fuses but make sure you checked the main 20A and 30A fuses as well. I had similar symptoms on my '08 last summer and replacing the main fuses solved it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all of you. I bought a multi-meter on the way to work today. Will do the checks you all suggested tonight and give you an update. I hope it's as easy as a dead battery. The wiring harness on the Goldwing looks like it could run the space shuttle! There's a lot in there! Will report back later.

·
Registered
280 Posts
If you have an Interstate battery, I'm betting battery. They just aren't as good as they used to be.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At rest with key off, multimeter shows 10.5 v. With key on and starter button pressed, 3.2v Those of you who voted for dead battery WIN!! It’s so easy to forget about checking the easy stuff. Time to go shopping. Again, many thanks for all the input. What a great resource everyone is.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Glad you worked it out. That's what I like about this forum, there is a wealth of useful information here which educates folks and saves having to take your bike to a mechanic.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
This is interesting info here: Thank you for posting, I haven't tried to start my bike as of yet since hibernating (October)
I did replace the spark plugs yesterday, So, because I ran out of time yesterday...I couldn't start it, . I'll go back into garage today, If I get the time....(wow, I'm busier now when retired , then I was working)

Ronnie

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
This is interesting info here: Thank you for posting, I haven't tried to start my bike as of yet since hibernating (October)
I did replace the spark plugs yesterday, So, because I ran out of time yesterday...I couldn't start it, . I'll go back into garage today, If I get the time....(wow, I'm busier now when retired , then I was working)
Ok, went out to garage this morning, turned key on, pumped the clutch handle a few times just to get the fluid flowing again, push the starter button, and SHE FIRED RIGHT UP, Ok I'm ready to ride again............Larry where are U??

Ronnie

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
Greetings from NM. 2009 GL1800. About 60k miles. Rode a few weeks ago and the bike ran great, as usual. Pushed it out today to ride to work. Took off the battery tender from the relatively new Interstate battery. Turned key to on, neutral light flashed and then went out. Lights are not on. Nothing showing on the little GW screen. Bike is in neutral. Hit starter button- nothing. Checked fuses- all fine. Checked starter relay by switching it out- no change- bike seems dead. When turning key on- neutral light either goes on then off, or flickers a bit and then off. Did some research here and on Docs but don’t see anything that helped. I’ll be the first to admit I’m not good with troubleshooting electrical issues. Ideas or suggestions? Thank you in advance for any help! Fred
wrong battery

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I'm guessing that you used reverse to get the bike out of the garage. If so, after you charge that battery, you might still have a problem. I'm guessing the bike thinks it's in reverse. That's why you get nothing when you tried to start it. It may just need the linkage adjusted. Just keep this in mind if you're still not getting a good nuetral.

Richard

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I just wanted to give the possibility that it was more than just a weak battery. Hopefully, the OP will let us know. I'm suspicious because his first symptom was the neutral going out.

Richard

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
For info for, I've had a couple of times where my battery tender (yes, the real one not a generic rip-off) for whatever reason would show a green charged light but the dang thing had actually discharged my battery down to 8-10 volts. Unplugged and replugged, seemed to reset it back to charging. Has happened to me on more than one. 🤔

So always a good idea to check occasionally 😉

·
Registered
606 Posts
For info for, I've had a couple of times where my battery tender (yes, the real one not a generic rip-off) for whatever reason would show a green charged light but the dang thing had actually discharged my battery down to 8-10 volts. Unplugged and replugged, seemed to reset it back to charging. Has happened to me on more than one. 🤔

So always a good idea to check occasionally 😉
I have seen that happen when, while the Tender is connected, someone will switch the ignition on and off again for some reason. Most likely to check the mileage or fuel level, and turn the key back off again. The Tender doesn't get enough time to react to the voltage change. It doesn't go back into the monitoring mode but just sits there and the battery discharges slowly. That is why my LED voltmeter on my bikes are always on and monitoring the battery voltage.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts