GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I turn the ignition on the neutral doe's not come on and the bike will not start even though the bike is in neutral. I have tried working the gear lever through the gears and then back to neutral, still no light and no start, tried pulling in the clutch lever, side stand up, still no start. can anybody help me out here.
Thanks English Charlie

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
do all the other lights come on when ignition is on, do the headlights come on?? Will the radio work and other functions work in ACC position??

·
Vendor
17,403 Posts
Test the gear position sensor (GPS). It is most likely bad. If so, I would guess your bike has around 100k. It would hlep to know what year your bike is.

Was your FI light flashing? Does it turn over? Are you able to put it in N, kickstand down and turn it over for 10 sec? Does the FI light flash a code then? A long flash is 10, and a short is 1. So a long, long, short, short, short, short = 24.

To check the N system, if it is a non ABS model, remove the lower front cover and the black cover above that is between the radiators. There is a black boot on the left side with 5 electrical connectors in it that sits on top of the engine and inside of the L frame rail. The black 6 pin connector with 5 wires is the one you want. Disconnect it, and ground the Lt. green/red wire in the female connector. If it is the GPS that will make your N light come on, and you should be able to start it. Make sure it is in N if you start it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
do all the other lights come on when ignition is on, do the headlights come on?? Will the radio work and other functions work in ACC position??
Kit thanks for the reply, and the answer to your question is that all the other lights work and the radio and aux work with my I-pod also my nav works.
I also have a problem with the reverse light flashing but no reverse, have to turn off the ignition to stop the reverse light flashing, could all this be related.
Thanks English charlie

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Test the gear position sensor (GPS). It is most likely bad. If so, I would guess your bike has around 100k. It would hlep to know what year your bike is.

Was your FI light flashing? Does it turn over? Are you able to put it in N, kickstand down and turn it over for 10 sec? Does the FI light flash a code then? A long flash is 10, and a short is 1. So a long, long, short, short, short, short = 24.

To check the N system, if it is a non ABS model, remove the lower front cover and the black cover above that is between the radiators. There is a black boot on the left side with 5 electrical connectors in it that sits on top of the engine and inside of the L frame rail. The black 6 pin connector with 5 wires is the one you want. Disconnect it, and ground the Lt. green/red wire in the female connector. If it is the GPS that will make your N light come on, and you should be able to start it. Make sure it is in N if you start it.
The bike has 90.000 miles on it and it is an 06 model

·
Registered
102 Posts
I am a newbie with the Goldwing, but do you have the reverse button on? It will not start with that on.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Is the reverse button pushed in by chance"" does it still have spring to it, and clicks on and off.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
A couple more simple things.

A blown reverse fuse will cause the reverse light to blink and bike to stay in reverse. Find and check/replace that fuse.

Could be the reverse actuator is stuck or loose or out of adjustment just enough to keep it engaged and cause this also.

Next is suspect the reverse module.

And the gear position sensor.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A couple more simple things.

A blown reverse fuse will cause the reverse light to blink and bike to stay in reverse. Find and check/replace that fuse.

Could be the reverse actuator is stuck or loose or out of adjustment just enough to keep it engaged and cause this also.

Next is suspect the reverse module.

And the gear position sensor.
Hi Kit I have checked the reverse fuse, it's ok. I am not too worried about the reverse problem, if I can get the bike started then I can take it to the dealer.
I just need to get the neutral light on so I can start the bike.
Were is the gear position sensor
Thanks English Charlie

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Hi Kit I have checked the reverse fuse, it's ok. I am not too worried about the reverse problem, if I can get the bike started then I can take it to the dealer.
I just need to get the neutral light on so I can start the bike.
Were is the gear position sensor
Thanks English Charlie
Well that was the deal, simple things first, if the bike is stuck in reverse or partly in reverse the neutral light will not show, the reverse light will blink and the bike will not start.

As all this seems to be ok, do as Greg says. Try that.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,206 Posts
Did you check the RVS START FUSE? There's 4 different fuses that affect the reverse system. Check the reverse switch's wire connection under the rubber cover in this picture. There's one wire on this switch and if the nut gets loose you get a very similar symptom. Be careful, it's brass and can break easily.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
In addition to what has been suggested...

if you follow the wiring harness from the reverse switch(right handlebar cluster) to the 18p connector under the right pocket there will be a black with red tracer and a black with brown tracer wire. In the reverse off (at rest) position there should be continuity between these two wires. They should break contact when the reverse switch is engaged. My guess is that the reverse switch is not connecting these two. They run the light and send a signal to the control unit. If they are not connected at rest, a jumper will get you started and a replacement of the switch cluster is in your future.

hope you find your issue!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Wouldn't low battery voltage cause the same thing with the reverse?
+1, happened to me.

Low voltage and / or bad battery will prevent the Rev actuator from moving and flash the reverse light.

Dealer replaced my 08 battery (warranty) because I was having this issue.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Here's your wire colors and what they do. Note that ground is NOT supplied for 1st gear.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts