GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last February the wife said "We should get another motorcycle" what a girl! Previous bike was before kids. Kids are out of the house now making their own kids. Found a low mile 03 last march. Having a great time with it. Have a little difficulty shifting from first to second, I often get neutral. Can the shift lever be positioned lower to get enough throw on the lever?

·
Vendor
18,416 Posts
Here is what you want to do or know first.

When shifting, are you lifting the toe lever up until it stops?

Do you have a heal/toe shifter?

Has the clutch fluid been changed in the last 12k? Is there air in the system? If it needs blead or flushed, do so. And lube the shaft on both ends that pushes on its master cylinder, and lube the clutch lever pivot. Required maintance is changing clutch fluid every 12k.

Is the clutch lever OEM? If not, try it with an OEM lever.

Does it have aftermarket fatter grips? If so, go back to OEM grips.

Verify that there is nothing at the toe lever keeping it from having free movement. Try cleaning and lubing its pivot.

Read the Owners Manual on when and how to shift gears. I say this because it is important to know that you are operating the m/c as intended. Don't assume that you are !! Be able to diffinativly know.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Can you position the shift lever lower.......No not really, the way the splines are positioned, you can but it does throw it down too low and then that is not a good deal.

It is all just in getting used to something. You might try double tapping the lever up into second for a bit, till you get used to it. In other words raise the lever twice, but soon you will learn to move your ankle up fully and it will not be an issue.

The shift throw from first to second is just a tiny bit longer than between the other gears. You just have to learn to fully raise the shift lever.

Or you will pull a raise your feet and fall over ......I did that. Went to the grocery store, came out hopped on the bike raised my feet, took off, thing is I had missed getting the bike in gear........just fell over. Lol!!!

You will get the hang of it.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Or you will pull a raise your feet and fall over ......I did that. Went to the grocery store, came out hopped on the bike raised my feet, took off, thing is I had missed getting the bike in gear........just fell over. Lol!!!
I know what you mean. I have not dropped my bike but have come close a couple of times. I have hit neutral when shifting to second, while leaned over after starting off from a stop. :eek:4:
You don't have enough forward momentum or inertia from wheel spin to provide good stability. I fix this problem by starting off in second gear if I know I will have to lean the bike and turn as I take off. Second gear and slipping the clutch a little more than you would in first, allows you to constantly pull through the turn until you get upright and avoids the need to shift while leaned over. As I've said before on this forum..........I feel first gear is too low to be practical around town. I use second gear to start from a stop about 35% of the time. Just feed the clutch out a little slower. I can do that without any throttle and not stall the bike.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Last February the wife said "We should get another motorcycle" what a girl! Previous bike was before kids. Kids are out of the house now making their own kids. Found a low mile 03 last march. Having a great time with it. Have a little difficulty shifting from first to second, I often get neutral. Can the shift lever be positioned lower to get enough throw on the lever?

Well, lots of good advice. Since I like the KISS method of things I'll go ahead and ask. You got yourself an 03. When was the last time the clutch and brakes were bled? Have you checked/replaced the bushings in the hand levers for the clutch and brake?

Both are cheap and easy, either or both could solve your problem. Also Wings like a firm strong touch. No stomping, ham fisted stuff, and no Cinderella shifting. Like any good mistress, firm and gentle, and no points for lazy shifting either. Learn how the machine wants to be shifted and save yourself headaches and perhaps mechanical failure.

Welcome to the Madd House! :congrats: on the Wing

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I slipped a piece of thick clear plastic hose over the rubber on the shifter. Cut it to the correct length and it does not look bad. You can see the black rubber through it and it has the same affect as lowering the shifter although it does add height on the downshift.

When shifting from first to second I will hesitate in neutral with the foot pressure momentarily off the shifter and then shift on to second. This seems to make a quieter and smoother shift for me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, lots of good advise. When I bought the bike 6 months and 6k miles ago i got no service records. Other than oil and tire replacements I have done I don't know previous service information. As far as I know the bike is completely stock. I should do the rest of the fluid replacements just to be sure. The clutch operation feels great. It disengauges the engine mid way through the handle operation. I think I am not getting full shift movement with my foot. When I hand operate the shifter it seems to work well and I can feet the double click shifting from first to second. I think I have trouble rotating my ankle enough to get the extra solid shift needed for that shift. I will try the clear hose trick over the end of the shift lever. That might accomplish what I need.

Mark

·
Registered
300 Posts
Sounds like you may have what I had, ***** foot.
Had it when I rode a 77 BMW Airhead.
I get it every now and then still.
All shifts should be quick postive and all the way to the stop.
Do not lift the level but snap it all the way to the end of it's travel both up or down.
Do not hesitate in the middle or slow the travel.
Do not stop the travel just because you heard the clunk of the trans.
On the BMW with a quick flick of the throttle and a snappy shift, clutch was not needed, have not tried this with the 1800 as of yet.
So pull in the clutch and shift it like you mean it.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I agree with Kit on the cause. The shift from 1st to 2nd is longer because you have to get completely THROUGH neutral to make it to 2nd.

When I get lazy and don't make a crisp, clean, solid motion up with my toe to get to second, I miss it just like you do and end up in neutral.

You may be able to get lazy with the other shifts, but not with the 1-to-2 shift. I don't think there is anything wrong with your bike that a good solid "I really mean it" flick into second won't cure.

(That's not to say you shouldn't flush and replace the clutch fluid. You should.)

You also might want to experiment with other settings on the adjustment wheel for your clutch lever. Find a setting that ensures you're getting the clutch completely disengaged when shifting.

·
Registered
21,093 Posts
I slipped a piece of thick clear plastic hose over the rubber on the shifter. Cut it to the correct length and it does not look bad. You can see the black rubber through it and it has the same affect as lowering the shifter although it does add height on the downshift.

When shifting from first to second I will hesitate in neutral with the foot pressure momentarily off the shifter and then shift on to second. This seems to make a quieter and smoother shift for me.
wow that is a pretty good tip :thumbup: and cheap ! :thumbup:

not something that i need but i bet it could b very useful for some folks that are having shifting problems :thumbup:

·
Registered
664 Posts
The shift from 1st to 2nd is longer because you have to get completely THROUGH neutral to make it to 2nd.
In addition to the above statement...............The 1st to 2nd change requires extra foot effort because you must over come the neutral detent spring.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Another trick to try is preloading the shifter before pulling the clutch. Not a lot of force, just a little bit and it helps snap it right into second.

·
Registered
17,091 Posts
I must have dickie foot because my problem is just the opposite. I occasionally have trouble "finding" neutral between 1 & 2.

Why would it matter if he had a heel/toe shifter?

prs

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the input everyone. I have been concentrating on getting a good solid shift and my problem has gone away. 3 days now and I am overcoming the lazy shift habbit, few more days and I should have it. I will change the clutch fluid too.

Mark.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I must have dickie foot because my problem is just the opposite. I occasionally have trouble "finding" neutral between 1 & 2.

Why would it matter if he had a heel/toe shifter?

prs

some heeltor shifters "BIND" up sometimes ... Just something else to check...

the main problem!!!

QUIT SHIFTING LIKE A CHICK!!!!!!!! NO PANZY SHIFTING ALLOWED!!!

Reactions: AEmedic
1 - 17 of 17 Posts