GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me about this route from Ely to Twin Falls, Id? Is it a yawner?
Never been to Nevada. Please tell me its at least as 'fun' as east to west I-70 through Kansas!!

AG GL

·
Registered
601 Posts
This road isn't quite as bad as I-70, but it isn't like the dragon either. It is mostly straight with a few curves that require no deceleration. The scenery is mostly sagebrish with the occasional jackrabbit to break the monotony. After you get to Twin Falls, you will need to go another 90 miles north to get to the good roads, but then you will be in motorcycle heaven as you pass through Sun Valley and go over 9500 foot Galena summit and in to the sawtooth mountains.

Good luck onyour ride.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Have to agree. Have riden the Ely - Elko route several times. Only need to slow down through the little mining towns, and be sure you do. Had a friend get a ticket for doing 30 in a 25.

Most of the rode from Ely to Wells is desert, with few curves. Haven't been north of Wells, so can't help you there.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Having been raised a son of the soil in Western Kansas I would like to tell you to slow down and really enjoy the views. It has always been great to see the horizon and a real sunset. I also so highly recommend going on past Sun Valley to Stanley Idaho. There's a little Bar and Grill there that turns out fantastic Black and Blue prime rib dinners. Baked to rare then finished on a mesquite grill and then covered with crumbled good blue cheese. Man now I have to plan a trip to get back there, such good memories. I just had to expand on your thread sorry about that. Tom S.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bill, was that you I spoke to at that Boise WalMart Parking lot last summer? I was on a silver GL with matching Bushtec. It was quite warm that day but beautiful.
Tom, don't get me wrong, I enjoyed my only ride through Kansas a couple years ago. There is beauty everywhere if you open your eyes. Even here in the 'mudflats' of Ohio!!
Indeed I will be completing a ride left undone last summer. From Phoenix I'll go to Boise on way to Lolo and then on to ride Beartooth and Chief Joseph. On to rides in Colorado and then home from Denver. Can't wait to complete my 2006 ride!!

AG GL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts