GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tougher times are coming, today I spent over 3 hours calling Honda Dealerships looking for a part for my 2012 Goldwing. A Rear TPMS Sensor.
I had many online parts shops tell me no stock, and the sensors have been on Back Order for over six months. Called my Local Dealership and they gave me some phone numbers of other Honda dealerships to call and hopefully find a dealer that had one in stock. After calling 4 Dealerships with no Luck, the 5 Call,.... Bingo they had one. But as soon as I said that I needed it shipped to Montana. They said sorry we are only selling the few that they have in stock to their Local Goldwing owners in the Houston Texas area.

I fell over, I called my Local Dealer and he said that is becoming the new norm, and to keep calling in tell I find a Dealer willing to sell me one. (Under normal times my local Dealership would make the calls to find stock but yesterday and today they where short handed so I volunteered to start calling). After being told by 3 more dealers the same thing, sorry we have one but not going to sell it to a out of state person I began to worry. But my 12th call to a small dealership in Wisconsin finally said yes we will ship it overnight to you.

I would have never thought Honda USA would allow this, today I learned this type of hoarding is happening and its going to get worse before it gets better. God forbid if you need a part for your Goldwing but the dealer refuses to sell it to you because you do not live in their area..... this is not a good sign of what the future may bring.

Just thought I would share today events.....

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I read a thread recently about using a universal TPMS sensor or one from Mazda. I'll see if I can find it.

What is wrong with yours? You can just replace the battery w/o changing the whole device.

Reactions: Walrus and JoeHall

·
Registered
8,416 Posts
Very frustrating :confused: !! Glad you found one

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Wait, let get this straight. They will let a part sit on the shelf with no assurance of it being sold instead of a for sure sale?
Believe it or not, it's a form of "customer service" marketing. Grocery stores do it all the time since nearly 100% of core sales come from local patronage. Not all business is driven by greed, and profit to the discomfort of the demanding few. Those dealers are doing what they believe is best for THEIR market. For example, R. C. Hill Honda Powersports in Deland, FL will only sell certain high demand Goldwings to Florida residents. It's in their ads, and the sales people confirm it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Welcome to the "New World". A friend of mine is in the commercial construction business. That type of hoarding (protect your customer first) has been going on with supply houses for a couple of years. You familiar with that box on the side of your house that your electrical meter is resting on? That's called a meter box. Normally a residential box is a few hundred bucks. You can't find one ANYWHERE in the U.S. from a dealer and if you are lucky you might find one on Ebay for $4000 to $6000. Guess who ends up paying for the robbery!
Times are changing... yes?

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Glad you found one. I gave up on my TPMS system on my 2012. Honda replaced both sensors and the brain to the TPMS and no matter what they do that light never goes off or it will last a few miles after leaving dealership and then there it is again..Thankfully when I bought it, it was like that so they did all that on their dime.

Reactions: Walrus

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Wait, let get this straight. They will let a part sit on the shelf with no assurance of it being sold instead of a for sure sale?
Sounds like the perfect strategy for going out of business - spend time and money to acquire inventory, incur carrying costs on those parts, and deeply alienate potential, greatful customers denying them what they need, in hopes that someone local, sometime, may come to them instead of any of the other local dealers. I would be sure to get this exact message to the business owner.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Thanks for the tip.

I just sold all my Amazon stock. What a loser that stuff is going to be. I just texted Jeff Bezos and told him he’s nuts. His business plan won’t work. Honda dealerships across the globe are saying so.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Thanks for the tip.

I just sold all my Amazon stock. What a loser that stuff is going to be. I just texted Jeff Bezos and told him he’s nuts. His business plan won’t work. Honda dealerships across the globe are saying so.
That's great news, and a relief to a billion Chinese workers.

·
Registered
102 Posts
This same thing is happening across the "parts" business. My wife is a parts Manager for an auto body shop and runs into this same issue constantly. Particularly when an item is on national backorder it is impossible to get one from out of the area.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
I guess it can work both ways... if you're local dealer had the part, and said he had it because he only sells such parts to his local Goldwing patrons so you will have it, you'd be all fine with that since he's looking out for you, his loyal customer. Would you give him a hard time because he wasn't willing to sell it on the internet to whoever?

I can imagine the dealers have some concern that there are people who would buy up all the TPMS and similar parts everywhere they could and suddenly there are none to be found... except on EBAY by the guy who bought them all up and now is selling them on Ebay at a premium... and for all that the out of town dealer knows, that person is you.

I doubt American Honda has any control of how a dealer manages his inventory.

Requesting a board member who is local to such dealer to go buy the part for you is likely the best option.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think your really dealing with businesses that just don’t ship parts. It’s their way of saying it.
the concern that we all should have is the National parts shortage for our GoldWings, especially when the Bikes are not that Old and Dealers are telling customers it’s not going change anytime soon. Makes one pause….

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I believe I have some Honda sensors if you still need one. I can also repair them.
Thanks Fred,
I might take you up on that if I still need to replace my front tire as well. For now Fedex is delivering the Rear sensor tomorrow and Tuesday the dealer will install on Tuesday, and we see what happens.

Thanks to all for their input.
I believe I have some Honda sensors if you still need one. I can also repair them.
Thanks Fred, I might take up on your offer depending on what happens Wednesday with them Installing the rear sensor, I might be looking for one for the front tire as well. I will let you know. considering the Bike is tens years old and 8500 miles on it. If I do need one is sending payment via PayPal is OK?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts