GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my Wing, but I picked up a 2019 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sport DCT a month ago and I’ve already put 1,600 miles on it. I love the upright riding position, and although I know it’s not as quick as my wing, it scoots pretty good and it’s a blast to ride! I was tempted to wait for the 2020 as it has CarPlay, cruise, electronic suspension and an adjustable shield, but I couldn’t justify spending an extra $5-6k to get it. Ride safe, pikester5

·
15 year Member
6,754 Posts
Good for you.. I hope you will have a great experience with yer new ride!!

mattbcnv

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good for you.. I hope you will have a great experience with yer new ride!!

mattbcnv
Thanks Matt! I still think the wing with the DCT (my personal opinion) is one of the best bikes out there and the pearl stallion brown is the best color.

·
Registered
16,482 Posts
Those are very desirable bikes! Enjoy!

prs

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks prs! I’m impressed at how it does on the highway. Not quite the wind protection the wing has, but I didn’t expect it to be. I added a Madstad shield and it helped tremendously!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Traded in my 2019 Africa Twin for the Wing. I put 3000 miles on it in two months. Great bike, but just not for me. I like piling on more miles in one stretch than the Twin would allow... comfort-wise. 458 miles in one pop was a little painful, but that's not what it was built for anyway.

·
Registered
18,551 Posts
I would love to have the African Twin as a second bike. Find a gravel road or a forest fire road & let er rip. It should be a blast to ride

·
Registered
488 Posts
I so nearly bought the Africa Twin when it first came out... only reason I didn't was that they couldn't build them in time to fulfil early orders.

How do you compare the riding position with the GW? More leaned forward, or about the same?

·
Registered
185 Posts
I was seriously wanting an Africa Twin. The 2020 with cruise control wasn't out yet, but my local dealer had given me a price and an approximate arrival date. I then read about the 2019 BMW R1250GS leftovers available with a substantial discount and included panniers which I wanted anyway. I went for a test drive and immediately fell in love with it. I was offered that bike as a demo bike with the same discount plus demo discount, panniers, and a longer, and unlimited mile, warranty due to the demo status. I bought that 2019 bike with shaft drive, cruise control, lots of room and tons of horsepower for less than I could have gotten the AT. It even included the panniers. The bike had 102 miles when I bought it. I put on 95 of those miles.
BTW, BMW offers almost unlimited test rides on their bikes. Something Honda dealers are loath to do. I have been able to do it in the past, but it's with strict stipulations and mileage restrictions for new bikes. BMW lets you ride just about as much as you want. At least I haven't found the limit other than, "We close at 1700, please try to return prior to that time" and it was 0900....lol. I have also had them offer a weekend test drive.
I really enjoy this bike. It is also extremely adept on and off the road. I do think the AT may be marginally better in the off-road regime, but I drive many miles to find dirt. At that, it is mostly fire roads and the like I'm traveling.
I still think the AT is a great bike, but for the money, the 2019 BMW couldn't be beat.
(The Beemer is rock solid at speeds the Goldwing can't "cough...governed...cough, cough" attain....)
BTW, I still love my 2018 DCT and it is my first choice for major road trips, but I'm not afraid to take the GS anywhere I might desire to go.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I always though the AT DCT would be the PERFECT police bike. Faster than most of the vehicles out there, good high visibility position, plenty of range, easy to operate, narrow (for cutting between lanes of traffic), and with that awesome suspension, you can go just about anywhere.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The seat on the African Twin can't be any less comfortable the the Wing! I waited and waited for the AT to be released and finally bought a Yamaha Tenere, Got tired of waiting for it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I so nearly bought the Africa Twin when it first came out... only reason I didn't was that they couldn't build them in time to fulfil early orders.

How do you compare the riding position with the GW? More leaned forward, or about the same?
I’m 6’5”, so the upright position is nice. The riding position seems like I don’t reach for the bars as much & I have bar risers on my wing. Also, my legs are at a different angle, so my hips don’t ache. What I love about both bikes is the DCT. I don’t think I will ever go back to anything else, which is a big reason I bought the Africa Twin.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was seriously wanting an Africa Twin. The 2020 with cruise control wasn't out yet, but my local dealer had given me a price and an approximate arrival date. I then read about the 2019 BMW R1250GS leftovers available with a substantial discount and included panniers which I wanted anyway. I went for a test drive and immediately fell in love with it. I was offered that bike as a demo bike with the same discount plus demo discount, panniers, and a longer, and unlimited mile, warranty due to the demo status. I bought that 2019 bike with shaft drive, cruise control, lots of room and tons of horsepower for less than I could have gotten the AT. It even included the panniers. The bike had 102 miles when I bought it. I put on 95 of those miles.
BTW, BMW offers almost unlimited test rides on their bikes. Something Honda dealers are loath to do. I have been able to do it in the past, but it's with strict stipulations and mileage restrictions for new bikes. BMW lets you ride just about as much as you want. At least I haven't found the limit other than, "We close at 1700, please try to return prior to that time" and it was 0900....lol. I have also had them offer a weekend test drive.
I really enjoy this bike. It is also extremely adept on and off the road. I do think the AT may be marginally better in the off-road regime, but I drive many miles to find dirt. At that, it is mostly fire roads and the like I'm traveling.
I still think the AT is a great bike, but for the money, the 2019 BMW couldn't be beat.
(The Beemer is rock solid at speeds the Goldwing can't "cough...governed...cough, cough" attain....)
BTW, I still love my 2018 DCT and it is my first choice for major road trips, but I'm not afraid to take the GS anywhere I might desire to go.
max thrust, I don’t think you can go wrong with the GS. Their boxer engines are bulletproof and keep the center of gravity low, which really helps with slow speed maneuvering. I also think they are really sharp looking bikes and like the adventure model as well. Ride safe and most of all, enjoy the ride!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The seat on the African Twin can't be any less comfortable the the Wing! I waited and waited for the AT to be released and finally bought a Yamaha Tenere, Got tired of waiting for it.
The stock seat is actually pretty comfortable. I rode it home from Phoenix to Rio Rancho, NM and the seat didn’t bother me at all. Now the rain & 40 degree temperatures going 75 on the interstate, that wasn’t near as much fun! I felt like a frozen popsicle by the time I got home.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would love to have the African Twin as a second bike. Find a gravel road or a forest fire road & let er rip. It should be a blast to ride
Laen, it is a blast on forest roads, but quite a handful in the sand, at least with the stock tires, which on the Adventure Sport, are designed for more on road use. I dropped it at a slow speed on a downslope and I had to get help to pick it up. Because of the downhill slope, I couldn’t get my butt on the seat to get any leverage. I watched a couple of videos that show different methods but I’m hoping that won’t happen again.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts