GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would you do ? Stopped by my local dealer to pick up some oil for my wing. They also sell Harley Davidson. The sales person who is a personal friend of the family asked me if I would like to see the new 012 Ultra with the 103 motor. Having owned two Harleys before my 06 wing I took a long look at the new bike. My last one was a 97 and the new bike is much more machine than the last EVO I had. The bike looked great. The sales person asked if I would think about a trade back to the Ultra. My wing and $ 8.700 out the door for the Ultra. Not a bad deal I thought. My wing is a 06 with 26k on it.. I really like my Wing its a great bike and I got it set up with a race tech,fork brace and a Tom Simmons seat.I would keep my Simmons seat.I really liked my Harleys also.I can't decide what to do.. I can't justify having both bikes..

Would you make the deal for the Ultra :?: :shrug:

·
Registered
625 Posts
Both

What would you do ? Stopped by my local dealer to pick up some oil for my wing. They also sell Harley Davidson. The sales person who is a personal friend of the family asked me if I would like to see the new 012 Ultra with the 103 motor. Having owned two Harleys before my 06 wing I took a long look at the new bike. My last one was a 97 and the new bike is much more machine than the last EVO I had. The bike looked great. The sales person asked if I would think about a trade back to the Ultra. My wing and $ 8.700 out the door for the Ultra. Not a bad deal I thought. My wing is a 06 with 26k on it.. I really like my Wing its a great bike and I got it set up with a race tech,fork brace and a Tom Simmons seat.I would keep my Simmons seat.I really liked my Harleys also.I can't decide what to do.. I can't justify having both bikes..

Why not both, justify it anyway. I bet there is a wife involved in this decision. :shrug:

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
No deal, unless you want to spend approx. another $2,000 to get the Ultra to run right and you'll still have a hot leg anyway.
By the way-the Ultra Limiteds have had the 103 in them for a while now.
Tell him you'll give your 06 + $7,000 for a new Wing w/ABS!

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Justify = I can't bring myself to spend 21K and have two bikes..I can only ride one at a time.. My wife really does not care if I just went and bought the Harley. I don't thing it takes 2k to make the Harley run right ? Am I missing something ?

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
i think your heart is set on the ultra go for it hey there is always another day if your not happy with the ultra then you can return to the wing again good luck with your choice :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
1. Doubt many here are going to be advocating buying Harleys.
2. I'd take it for a test ride and if it rang my bell I'd be on it that afternoon.

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
No deal, unless you want to spend approx. another $2,000 to get the Ultra to run right and you'll still have a hot leg anyway.
By the way-the Ultra Limiteds have had the 103 in them for a while now.
Tell him you'll give your 06 + $7,000 for a new Wing w/ABS!

Oh, Bullsheet

Aside from slip ons (which I didn't need btw), my 2010 Ultra is bone stock and runs fine.

And the Ultra limited has had the 103 for two years....not "quite awhile" as you would have people believe.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I would do both if $$$ was not a problem

Murphy,
I can tell you from experience, I miss my 2001 Electra Glide but couldn't justify keeping it due mostly in part to yearly property taxes here in Connecticut. The other reasons for selling the Harley is the handling, brakes or lack of back then, and wimpy engine. Harley has adequately addressed all those issues on the 2010 and up. Although a 1800 Wing will still easily outhandle and leave an Ultra in the dust, the 2010 up Ultras are still nice machines. The Wing and Ultra are two very different machines, one running as though it doesn't even have a pulse, the other saying "can you hear me/feel me now?". But on the other hand, I still might buy a new 2011 Corvette Grand Sport 4LT Convertible that is on my radar screen before owning two touring bikes again. Murphy, you Will miss the Wing! Hustle the dealer for a better deal on the Harley and keep both bikes :lol:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Sounds like a very generous offer for an 06.

Dennis

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Best of luck on your decision. My goldwing was chosen for long distance comfort and dependability, also less likely to get "stolen". My worse issue in eight years, is a stuck cruise control button. BMW was first choice, but they seem to have gone off my list because of many reasons. Guess a key question is, "this a social change thing", like missing the H-D crowd? Or you just really love the bike? Guess this is as hard a choice as anyone of us debating on weither to "trike or not", also. :coffee1: Price is secondary issue, to choice.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Oh, Bullsheet

Aside from slip ons (which I didn't need btw), my 2010 Ultra is bone stock and runs fine.

And the Ultra limited has had the 103 for two years....not "quite awhile" as you would have people believe.
Thanks for stepping up! I have 2, 2010 Harleys, an Ultra CVO and a Softail Custom. Both are stock with the exception of slip ons. Wish those that speak as if they know what they are saying REALLY knew what they were saying! I put more into add-ons to my ol 1500 than any Harley since 1975!! :doorag:

·
Registered
583 Posts
OK I'll chime in since I just traded my 2007 Ultra Classic for a 2012 GL1800. Take one for a test ride first you'll likely find the Harley to have a VERY comfortable riding position, the 103 engine has nice torque and the amenities (cruise, factory CB, good stereo, lots of storage) are big selling points. I personally had issues with the amount of heat the engine throws off, they run hot because they run lean and the factory oil cooler does very little to cool the motor down. They have mid-frame heat shields and a software feature that shuts off the rear cylinder at idle so the factory does know this is an issue. If riders don't mind that's OK but I've ridden about a dozen 2010/2011 big twin touring bikes and they all cooked my legs. Too bad IMO because although I feel that's the biggest drawback to owning a bike like that it does cost a pretty penny to fix it. From what I'm reading on the Harley boards the first mod is eliminating the catalytic converter for this very reason.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts

YEP!!:excited:

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
1. Doubt many here are going to be advocating buying Harleys.
2. I'd take it for a test ride and if it rang my bell I'd be on it that afternoon.
I'd agree with Joe. We always seem to want to "compare" the vtwin tourers with the Wing. You can't. Both can to the job well. You're looking at an apple and an orange. Take the Ultra for a long ride and ask yourself 1) which feels best to you and 2) which would you rather be riding. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
176 Posts
When you buy a new harley, you become a member of the harley davidson lifestyle.

Abandon the wing asap and become a member of that elite club......

·
Registered
686 Posts
I understand the appeal and wish i could have both a gw and uc. That said, I would pick a Road Glide ultra with the fixed fairing. Rides better in the wind and arguably better protection. Plus they are somewhat rare.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts

If you are only riding 5k per year, then the Ultra makes a lot of sense.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Don't buy the Harley. This is 2011. Vehicles should not shake, rattle, or roar.

There is no reason a modern bike should rattle like an old Model T.

I've owned three Gold Wings and never lost parts on the highway due to vibration shaking things loose. That happens on the Harley unless you check all your bolts regularly.

The Harleys are crap compared to the Japanese bikes. Harleys are for socializing with all the other Harley folks. They are not for serious transportation. Honda touring bikes are smooth, quiet, and reliable.

It's hard to read the road signs while riding a Harley due to all the shaking of your head. That has to cause permanent brain damage. There's a reason the average Harley owner rides under 1000 miles per year.

I'll not even consider another Harley unless they go to a completely different engine. They have brilliant marketing people who have convinced the public that it's not a true motorcycle unless it bucks like a bronco.

My Harley mostly just sits in the garage dripping oil. It only has about 15,000 miles on the odometer.

I've put over 140,000 miles on the ST1100 and it still runs like a dream. I expect the new Wing to outlast the ST.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Don't buy the Harley. This is 2011. Vehicles should not shake, rattle, or roar.

There is no reason a modern bike should rattle like an old Model T.

I've owned three Gold Wings and never lost parts on the highway due to vibration shaking things loose. That happens on the Harley unless you check all your bolts regularly.

The Harleys are crap compared to the Japanese bikes. Harleys are for socializing with all the other Harley folks. They are not for serious transportation. Honda touring bikes are smooth, quiet, and reliable.

It's hard to read the road signs while riding a Harley due to all the shaking of your head. That has to cause permanent brain damage. There's a reason the average Harley owner rides under 1000 miles per year.

I'll not even consider another Harley unless they go to a completely different engine. They have brilliant marketing people who have convinced the public that it's not a true motorcycle unless it bucks like a bronco.

My Harley mostly just sits in the garage dripping oil. It only has about 15,000 miles on the odometer.

I've put over 140,000 miles on the ST1100 and it still runs like a dream. I expect the new Wing to outlast the ST.
I have a 2005 CVO Electra Glide Classic with a 103 motor. I also have a 2006 Honda GL1800 that has now been triked. I had a 2001 GL1800. To me the Harley is 10 times more comfortable than the GW. I have worked on the seat, added a Utopia Backrest, raised the Handle Bars, added Hi-Way Pegs and adjusted numerous times, added floorboards and I can not get this bike to be anywhere as comfortable as the HD for long rides. I think that the GW is a great bike but, at 6' 1" I am too tall to get comfortable on it. I don't know what is wrong with your bike but I have never had parts fall off my 2001 Road King or my current 2005 CVO. The old HDs (1981 Low Rider and 1979 Bagger), yes. Also, my 2001 and my 2005 NEVER has leaked a drop of oil. If I could only keep one bike it would be the HD.

Sunman

1 - 20 of 94 Posts