GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I have in my possession a new 07 dark orange with airbag.

Thought I would fill you all in on some of the differences.

I went to add show chrome fog lights to the bike. Installation of the lights went well but when it came to the switch to power on/off, that's where the problem came in. Since Honda moved the radio controls to the left panel, they changed the mounting for the switch!

Called Show Chrome and they were aware of the problem but told me they were weeks out from having a switch for the airbag models. Called Electrical connection and got same answer. Well... DANG it! Called Honda shop and they DO have switch but only when packaged with the entire kit. So... I purchased the set and used the switch and all is well there.

I now have a new set of Honda driving lights with switch that will work on any model but the airbags. I paid $240.00 plus tax and am looking to let them go to someone for a mere $220.00 and I will pay shipping!

TOP SHELTER!!!!!

Went to remove top shelter and this I do know. REMOVE the negative battery cable before attempting this. Static electricity CAN cause airbag to deploy when you least expect it! Removed the typical bolts holding the shelter like previous models and it would NOT budge! Called Honda shop and they had not as of then removed one of these panels. They had no clue!

So... I was on my own. Upon inspection, I found "push pins" on both sides of gas cap area that needed to be removed. This allowed the 2 flaps on each side of the gas to raise exposing 4 more allen bolts! All bolts removed, I began to tug and low and behold, the top shelter came off in 2 pieces! It is definitely more complex in there and I feel very sorry for the mechanic that has to change my air filter later.

Many things different under the top and good luck to those that get one.

·
Registered
88 Posts
just a note on SRS, don't just disconnect the battery, but wait for a period of time(it should be mentioned by Honda service manuals)5-10 minutes would be my guess. during a crash,it could be possible to loose battery so a capacitor stores a charge in the inflator module for deployment.Also, the connectors will have shorting bars so stray voltage shouldn't cause a problem

this is my automotive experience,I'll asume the bike is close to the same

·
Registered
19,462 Posts
After seeing the airbag video, I think the airbags are a good thing
LIKE ABS BRAKES

·
Registered
755 Posts
Runman is correct, there is a "backup" electrical source for the airbag should the battery become disconnected in a crash. Check your airbag suplemental information booklet.

I'll consider the lights. I was planning on cutting the switch out and hardwiring the lights on my '06 anyway. I need the switch location for another application.

What's the price increase on the '07?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I just installed EC fog lights on my 06 Airbag model this past weekend... their harness and switch worked fine. It mounts into the extra socket to the left of the 4 way flasher switch. True their push button switch does not match exactly the same look as the stock honda, but I can over look that.

Pete

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
The switch in our Platinum series is a Honda so it won't fit the Airbag...all of our other kits will.

Depending on how the cap is wired inline, you might be able to disconnect the battery and turn the key on to drain it. Thats how we drained ECMs when we added performance chips.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I for one would not want the airbag model for two reasons. One, the first post. Second, I'd always, worry rolling down the slap at 70-75, if that thing might accidentally deploy. I seen the video. Shooting the rider in the air doing 70 might cause some serious brusies.

And to test one you have to "T" bone a cage or maybe a brick wall. Don't plan on doing that either. If I were to see that I was going to hit something like in the video, I'd be leaving the bike and taking my chances in the air.

·
Registered
638 Posts
RedStreak,
No one plans to T-bone a car or hit a brick wall. That's why these safety devices are necessary. They may save your life when that old lady fails to see you and turns in front of you.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Ellary said:
RedStreak,
No one plans to T-bone a car or hit a brick wall. That's why these safety devices are necessary. They may save your life when that old lady fails to see you and turns in front of you.
That was just part of the post.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
RedStreak said:
I for one would not want the airbag model for two reasons. One, the first post. Second, I'd always, worry rolling down the slap at 70-75, if that thing might accidentally deploy. I seen the video. Shooting the rider in the air doing 70 might cause some serious brusies.

And to test one you have to "T" bone a cage or maybe a brick wall. Don't plan on doing that either. If I were to see that I was going to hit something like in the video, I'd be leaving the bike and taking my chances in the air.
I Agree! If you think you need an Air bag by all means do get one or buy a VOLVO!

It's just more Feel good stuff to justify the higer price of "NICE"

IMOP

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
I don't get some folks. It's a device that is not seen until it's used, and if you use it I'm pretty sure you won't have a problem with it being there. Just because I think safety is a good idea doesn't mean that I should only be driving a car. Why does riding a motorcycle HAVE to be dangerous. Can't it be safe and just as enjoyable? What does having an airbag take away from your riding experience?

This is of course excluding the money argument. I can see why someone won't get it because of cost, but if money is not a factor, what's the problem with it?

·
Registered
661 Posts
FUSE,
Not being critical of anyone's choice. Just my opinion here. Like people running car tires on wings or what ever. Their choice. I would just be worried about hitting the speed bumps to hard or any bump in the road to hard. Don't really know how these things work from a machical stand point. I remember hitting probably a 4" grade difference on the interstate new construction near Birmingham at about 70 one time. No warning or signs. I wonder if that would have set it off. I almost left the bike with that bump. Surprised my forks wasn't bent.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Airbags are pretty well designed now adays.I dont remember of to many false deploys. Just because its on a motorcycle The triggering part is about the same.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
RedStreak said:
FUSE,
Not being critical of anyone's choice. Just my opinion here. Like people running car tires on wings or what ever. Their choice. I would just be worried about hitting the speed bumps to hard or any bump in the road to hard. Don't really know how these things work from a machical stand point. I remember hitting probably a 4" grade difference on the interstate new construction near Birmingham at about 70 one time. No warning or signs. I wonder if that would have set it off. I almost left the bike with that bump. Surprised my forks wasn't bent.
OK where do I begin..... The airbags have to have a frontal impact to deploy. The sensors are on the front forks and frame, basically something has to hit (or be hit) by the front of the Wing with enough force to set off the airbag which is going to require a straight on force versus a normal upward or angle forces received by the tire. Even if you severely bottom out your front forks the airbag will not deploy. Normal (or abnormal) riding conditions will not set off the unit. It is like four wheeling with an airbag equipped SUV, bumps, jumps and such will not set off an airbag unless you hit something with the front of the vehicle. The sensors on the forks are only designed to detect a frontal impact to the forks not the tire.

Trust me, having had two cars make left turns into my path with 2 previous Wings, you won't have the opportunity to jump from the bike (If you think you will, you are delusional). While flying over the rusty blue roof of one of the vehicles, my thought was "this is not going to be good!!". If I were going to buy a new Wing I would seriously consider the airbag model.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts