GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just breaking in the new baby and was wondering if a break-in oil change/check up was necessary or recommended since the manual only shows a first oil change @ 4,000. I did an oil change on my Valk @ about 800 miles and checked nuts, bolts, etc., but can't recall if the manual called for it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
i think most folks perform an oil change and inspect all fasteners around 600 miles. i bought my wing used and don't know what the original owner did, but he only put 2k miles on it. i changed the oil after riding it home and thoroughly inspected the bike - nuts, bolts, fasteners and the like. if it were new, i would have done the same thing at ~600 miles.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Original oil has some break-in additives in it - Honda prefers it stay in for at least 800 miles before changing. BUT, the thing is not going to fall apart if you do it sooner - or later - and at 4000 miles it will be a little dirty.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
IR Harry said:
Original oil has some break-in additives in it - Honda prefers it stay in for at least 800 miles before changing.
Where did you hear/read this? First time I've heard about break-in additives in the oil.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Yeah, I've read this before about the first oil and first final drive oil being special. Where is that written, other than on the internet?

I changed engine oil, filter, and final drive fluid at 800 miles on my '02. Maybe it wasn't required, but I've done that to every new bike I've owned for the last 30 years. It makes me feel better if nothing else.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Dealer wanted to change oil at 600-800 miles back in 02, in a quiet tone the mechanic said ride until around 4000 milesd and change it. I followed the advice of the mechanic and have changed it at 4000 miles intervals. So far all is well. It looks a llittle dark at each change. be mindful that I'm still using Pro Honda 10W-40. Of course if you have money to waste you can change oil and filter weekly, it'll only hurt your pocket and your riding time.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
When a Goldwing is assembled at the factory they run it up on a dyno at the end of the assembly line and drive it forward a short distance to where approximately 3 quarts are drained from the engine before it is crated.

When my '01 was "born" (assembled out of the box) in February '01 I was there as the dealer tech assembled it. Upon completion he asked what oil did I want added to the engine to top it off. I chose Honda HP-4.

Point being, there is no special oil in a Honda Glodwing.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
IR Harry said:
Original oil has some break-in additives in it.
No...

I changed mine at 1400, after my first 2 days of riding it. You don't have to of course. Then I changed it at 4000; now every 8000.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts