1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I wonder how difficult changing the air filter will be.

I don't think I would like a dry clutch on a motorcycle, but BMW has been using then for years on certain models.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Beautiful bike, but ridiculously expensive. If it were a pure Airhead, I might be tempted.

·
Registered
281 Posts
My R1200RT had a dry clutch. It worked just fine... I honestly can't say I can tell a difference on the clutch on a wing (on the trannie yes..)

·
Registered
144 Posts
It sure does come from the way back machine. Visually, it reminds me a lot of the R50 I rode in the late 60s/early 70s. I am not much for the gargantuan mufflers though.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Very nice but bye the time it lands here with all our taxes I think you would get much change out of $35 thousand AUD dollars we will see (y)

·
Registered
637 Posts
That exhaust system looks like it came off an 18-wheeler! Spoked wheels, solo seat, no bags, no fairing, no nothing. Sorry, not for me. I guess Goldwings have pretty much spoiled me for anything else.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
You know, I've always wanted a BMW since my uncle rode in on a (I think) 600 cc with the sideways engine to my parents home way back in the late 50's.. [I was just a kid then/so don't quote me]

Ronnie
ps: I never did own one!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Be the first to order one? No Thanks, I've had my fill of BMW's over the years.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
What was BMW thinking? The only ones who might like the looks of the bike aren't strong enough to get it upright, not tough enough to hold it upright, and they don't have enough money to buy it even though they are living home with their parents.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
My buddy briefly owned a new '18 RNineT.
First week on the new bike and the rear brake locked up on him in traffic.
BMW replaced the rotor, caliper,pads and melted rear ABS sensor wire.
Neither the dealer or BMW Canada could explain the cause.
He was fearful for his life after that episode.
He traded it on a used Super Tenere.
He will never buy another BMW.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What was BMW thinking? The only ones who might like the looks of the bike aren't strong enough to get it upright, not tough enough to hold it upright, and they don't have enough money to buy it even though they are living home with their parents.
It's not my cup of tea but I think if it wasn't for the looming recession BMW would do OK with it. Factory customs like the Triumph Bobbers have been selling extremely well to their target buyers. BMW sells very few bikes in the overall scheme of things and they only need to peel off a few buyers looking for something different to make it a successful model for them. The previous cruiser models that BMW produced, the so-called Chromeheads in BMW speak, were repulsive to the core BMW faithful but sold well enough to stay in the line-up from 1998 to 2005.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Interesting. Is this bike intended for the cruiser market or the specialty bobber market? I do not know much about the bobber market - but doesn't it exist for modification of existing cruiser-style bikes?

If they are going for the cruiser market, here we go again with another manufacturer that sees something that does not seem to be there - growth in a market that is stagnant and aging and owned by Harley brand-loyalists. Indian has been the only one able to kick in the door and get into this room. Maybe they are just looking for representation in this segment? I mean, it probably didn't take too much to make the 1200/1250 flathead into an 1800 and build a simple bike around it. I don't know, I just keep typing.

For the record, BMWs intrigue me because all the brightly-colored Klim-laden groups that tour love the GSs. Am I missing something? I do the same type of riding, just on a GW.

Regardless - the only BMW motorcycle dealer in western & central NY closed last year, so closest dealer is in Troy - 200+ miles down the Thruway. However, it appears as though a local dealer may have picked up BMW recently, but this is not on their website yet.

The motor sounds cool.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I drank the BMW Koolaid twice... followed the rules! (I.E. dealership services) and was disappointed on all accounts! No thanks, F6B rocks!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts