GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We not exactly brand new, here is the story;

I have been riding my 2003 wing a few thousand mile a year since I bought it in July of 2002 and I have taken it over most of the states West of the Rockies.

In recent years my wife has taken a real interest in traveling on two wheels but recent trip to Yosemite pointed out all to clearly the deficiency's of our ABS Wing. So to work...

Bought Fred H.'s DVD set. Very entertaining.
Changed the oil, filter and crush washer.
Rebuilt the brakes, flushed the system add new OEM pads, cleand and lubed the system.
Flushed the clutch(yuck!).
New plugs.
Had my daughter paint in the '1800' logo on the engine.
Added a Tulsa 'too tall' windscreen.
Flushed the coolant system.
Changed the rear drive fluid.

OK, That's normal maintenance stuff so on to the meat of the matter...

I Replace the rear shock with a Traxx shock/spring unit.
Bled the actuator as per Fred's video, now starts at zero :)
While I had everything apart I cleaned and tightened everything including the six hose clamps hidden under the gas tank. I also ran a good sized wire between the master grounds and the battery. All electrical connections tightened and coated with anti corrosive gunk. I also spent several hours checking and rechecking every frame weld I could get to.
When I replaced the air filter I had a little surprise waiting for me. I a otherwise pristine air box I found a lone mummified honey bee stuck to the blow back oil at the rear of the box. How this rather large creature found it's way into the otherwise sterile appearing box I have no clue. I took the screen from the back of the old filter and made screens for the air horns to keep any hitch hiking rodents a bay.

In the far back I added a Pak Rak That I hope to test in the near future. While I had the belly of the beast open I added aluminum cross braces at the rear of the bike to reduce the sway and rattling that the rear bags produce. I will let you know in a few thousand miles how well this works.

Up front I rebuilt the forks, installed Traxx springs and added 20wt fork oil. The ADV was disabled via a aluminum shim and a Traxx fork brace was installed.

I did a major clean up on the electrial system. Lots of gadgets have come and gone over the years (reviews) so there was a lot left to clean. I also took the time to label everything not already marked.

Cleaned the rear wheel. What a mess. Added front and rear mud flaps.

I added a motorcycle antenna to my XM radio that runs through the radios AUX. In limited testing this makes a HUGE difference in how well I receive a signal. In areas where I never could get my music it now shows full strength.

I also added a SoundGate system. My son had a old iPhone that the radio had failed on. I have re-purposed it to a iPod with 32GB of music. Instillation was plug and play with the iPod in the right front pocket and the actual SoundGate in the Trunk.

Also in the trunk is a EC 400 watt audio amp. To go along with the new amp are four new speakers. These are very nice!

Did I mentioned that I cleaned...everything? It's amazing how a bike that looks clean from the out side is so filthy on the inside. Went through a can and a half of Honda spray and a large bag of rags just for the minor stuff. The washing station took care of the big stuff.

It took two weeks of part time work but it's done except for adding the air wings(waiting on parts from Honda). I have replaced dozens of small items, strapped down and labeled everything and did I mention cleaned everything?

Took the old girl out for a quick 50 miles of canyons this afternoon and all I can say is...WOW!

Much better than she was new. Low speeds...high speeds...like a rock.
Braking is much improved with the new suspension. Stops flat. Very sure stops at traffic lights.

Why I did not do this earlier, I have no clue.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Sounds like a hell of lot got done...That would take me a year to do all that stuff...:congrats: on doing it and it actually still runs... :thumbup:

·
Registered
814 Posts
Wow - talk about a lot of work!! Too bad you live way west and I live way east - love to have you as a neighbor ;)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like a hell of lot got done...That would take me a year to do all that stuff...:congrats: on doing it and it actually still runs... :thumbup:
Saturday she was still up in the air when my SIL stopped by and asked if it running yet while I was putting on the top shelter? She had not run since I started the tear down but I looked him in the eye and flipped the key over and hit start. The engine roared to life. The look on his face was priceless.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Saturday she was still up in the air when my SIL stopped by and asked if it running yet while I was putting on the top shelter? She had not run since I started the tear down but I looked him in the eye and flipped the key over and hit start. The engine roared to life. The look on his face was priceless.

Is She a He. :shrug: Never mind I don't want to know.:eek:4:

Doing your own work is rewarding.:doorag:

·
Registered
457 Posts
Is She a He. :shrug: Never mind I don't want to know.:eek:4:

Doing your own work is rewarding.:doorag:
Hey, Rocky, I was thinking same at first then realized he meant Son-In-Law not Sister-In-Law...

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
PS - Also added All Balls and upgraded our helmets(our old HJCs had timed out) and swapped out the old earphones with a hi-fi set, a very nice improvement with music.

Right now Im building a Bluetooth hack that will enable us to chat on the phone while traveling as well as allowing the use of our iPhones as a backup GPS.

I'm also working on a hack to add true VOX to the side tone system. Anyone ever tried this?

WWIII

1 - 13 of 13 Posts