GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new 2016 GL1800 (August 2019) with 9 miles on it off the show room floor. I changed the oil at 600 miles, it was black. Replaced it with Honda regular 10w30 oil and a Honda filter. It has never shifted right, it is hard to get through the gears, especially down shifting. Sometimes it is very stubborn, I am afraid I will bend the shifting fork. I just rode for an hour and had several difficult shifts. I was wondering if this is normal for a new bike, if synthetic oil might help or if sitting in a show room for
3 years has hurt it. The bike now has 1350 miles on it. Any ideas....

·
Registered
466 Posts
Clutch adjustment?

·
Registered
421 Posts
I just bought a new 2016 GL1800 (August 2019) with 9 miles on it off the show room floor. I changed the oil at 600 miles, it was black. Replaced it with Honda regular 10w30 oil and a Honda filter. It has never shifted right, it is hard to get through the gears, especially down shifting. Sometimes it is very stubborn, I am afraid I will bend the shifting fork. I just rode for an hour and had several difficult shifts. I was wondering if this is normal for a new bike, if synthetic oil might help or if sitting in a show room for

even with only 9 miles, all fluids should have been replaced if 3 years old.
I would flush and replace clutch (and maybe this could help with the shifting) and brake fluids...

Reactions: Wild Turkey

·
Registered
109 Posts
I take it is all stock - no aftermarket floor boards or short shifter. Is the shifter hitting something or rubbing against the rubber seal? Take off the front cover and side exhaust shield to get to the linkage. Is the linkage binding? Easy to tell if removed. Changing the oil once again could give insight. If it has debris there could be damage but you should be able to tell by loss of power of the engine since they share the same sump.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will try switching to synthetic oil, probably Mobil 1 10 w 40. I have to blip the throttle and tickle the shifter now and then to shift up or down. If I should stop and am not in first gear, good luck getting it to shift down with out several throttle blips and fake clutch releases. The motor seems fine, purrs like a kitten and lots of roll on. I'll check the linkage. The old oil had no debris in it that I noticed. The old oil was actually very dark brown, almost black. Yes it is all stock. Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Synthetic oil will definitely help, I use Amsoil
10/40, mine was rather “clunky” when new, but
It shifted ok, I would definitely check clutch engagement,I’m assuming it’s under warranty, let tech check it out....gearbox in a wing is not like your average crotch rocket.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes it is under warranty. I'll change the oil first and if that doesn't help I'm going back to the dealer. (100 miles away).
My previous two bikes were a Kawasaki Nomad 1600 and a Kawasaki Vaquero 1700 they both had heal toe shifters which I prefer. I test drove a wing with a Kurykan heal toe shifter and it was nasty, too small nothing like the real thing. The five bikes I had before the Kawasaki's were toe shifters. I had no problem with those. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
103 Posts
You haven't mentioned whether or not you have taken it to the dealer. As a new bike it should still be under warranty, and quite frankly they should be able to confirm whether everything is normal or not. I just bought a 2012 and since the last 10 years were spent on a 1600 Nomad, there are a lot of nuances that are very different that I need to learn. Maybe it is technique, maybe there is something wrong, but if it were me I would check with a dealer. If there is something wrong, they should make it right.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Adjust your clutch lever to #1 for full clutch release or it will be hard to shift and especially downshift. Hopefully the fluid is not contaminated and if full with no air in system, all is well there. Mine will not shift right at all if i don't have it on #1.

The thicker oil than the 10w30 should help smooth it out. I tried 4qts of 20w50 Lucas synthetic once on a long trip since the temps were going to be well above 50F most of the time and it downshifted way better but upshifts had to be more positive. until i had about 3k miles on the oil. I changed it at 6k and almost wished i didn't.

I have 4qts 10w40 synthetic in it now and it is a little clunky. All i had to use up was 2qts Valvoline M/C syn. and 2qts Quicksilver M/C syn. Couldn't get 2 more qts of Quicksilver anywhere around here.

I will use 3qts 10w40syn and 1qt 20w50syn now if i want smoother shifting. Seems to be the best for mine.

It started shifting better on that trip to Tucson and back so i think more miles on it will loosen it up a bit also. I had about 18k miles on it when we started the trip and close to 23k miles when we got back.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you. I have the clutch lever set on 5. Just changed it to 1. Will try heaver oil. Thanks again for your thoughfull reply.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just went for a 20 mile ride with lots of stops and starts. With the shift lever at the 1 setting it shifted better, still had trouble getting into first gear a couple of times coming up to stop signs. I had to start out in 2nd gear twice. Maybe the sky is not falling. Thanks "Chicken Little"

·
Registered
466 Posts
Just went for a 20 mile ride with lots of stops and starts. With the shift lever at the 1 setting it shifted better, still had trouble getting into first gear a couple of times coming up to stop signs. I had to start out in 2nd gear twice. Maybe the sky is not falling. Thanks "Chicken Little"
You definitely ought to get it checked out on warranty.

Reactions: Ozone1

·
Vendor
17,531 Posts
Replaced it with Honda regular 10w30 oil and a Honda filter. It has never shifted right, it is hard to get through the gears, especially down shifting. Sometimes it is very stubborn, I am afraid I will bend the shifting fork. I just rode for an hour and had several difficult shifts. I was wondering if this is normal for a new bike, if synthetic oil might help or if sitting in a show room for
No ... that does not sound normal. The best oil for 5th gens continues to be Honda's GN4, and for your year, you should be using 10w-30.

Do you have a heal-toe-shifter, or is your shifter modified ???
Is your clutch lever stock ???
Do you have fat grips ???

My thoughts:
- remove the lower center cowl, and with a flash light, look in from the front and verify that there is nothing obstruction your shift linkage movement
- remove, clean, inspect, and lube the clutch lever, and all of its contact points
- change the clutch fluid and bleed the system

If nothing above helps, take it to a Honda dealer with your complaint. You should still be under warranty.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Did I miss a change?, there is no adjustment of the clutch it's hydraulic. The lever can be adjusted for grip reach but it should work fine at all numbers 1 through 5. If it's lacking pull there could be air in the system? Maybe the dealer did change the fluids but did not get all the air out, it wont take much to screw it up.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Did I miss a change?, there is no adjustment of the clutch it's hydraulic. The lever can be adjusted for grip reach but it should work fine at all numbers 1 through 5. If it's lacking pull there could be air in the system? Maybe the dealer did change the fluids but did not get all the air out, it wont take much to screw it up.

I think your on the money. Discussion n the adjustment looks like the handle-lever adjustment. Also changing the fluids seems to be good advice.
I bought my spankin new 2016 a year ago last March. The only issue I have had was that the dealer missed tire air pressure when I first picked it up. TPMS light came on within a block from the dealer.

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
598 Posts
I think your on the money. Discussion n the adjustment looks like the handle-lever adjustment. Also changing the fluids seems to be good advice.
I bought my spankin new 2016 a year ago last March. The only issue I have had was that the dealer missed tire air pressure when I first picked it up. TPMS light came on within a block from the dealer.

Corventure Dave
Yeh on my new 2015 F6B the dealer missed the rear diff fluid, really low! My rear brakes were never right after they did that master cylinder recall. Finally went into it my self and found air in the system. You would get a great pedal if you would press it twice to pump it up.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts