GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a new 2018 DCT two weeks ago and still have not been able to ride it. It was still in the crate directly from Honda when purchased. During prep the dealer found that the mode switch could not be moved from NAV. After two days on the phone with Honda the instructions to the dealership was to start swapping out components. My question is where is the Honda quality control? How does it leave the factory with out being fully checked out? I was a previous long time Harley owner and while the Harley's have their issues for sure, I have never driven one off the the dealership floor where everything didn't work as it was supposed to.

I have gone from excitement to being disillusioned. In the back of my mind I am wondering is if this is just the beginning of issues with this bike. I am curious if this is an isolated instance or if others have had the same problem. What recourse do I have?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
:wink2:That is a bike that I would have not taken ownership of.:no:

Reactions: Doug Vann and laen

·
Love The DCT
12,024 Posts
Every once and while, electronic components on new equipment does fail upon initial power up. In your case, the good thing is the problem was discovered during the predelivery inspection/setup and not by you after you drove it off the dealership floor.

Regarding “What recourse do I have?,” let Honda and the dealership take care of it since I’m assuming you haven’t taken delivery of the bike.

:doorag:

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
I purchased a new 2018 DCT two weeks ago and still have not been able to ride it. It was still in the crate directly from Honda when purchased. During prep the dealer found that the mode switch could not be moved from NAV. After two days on the phone with Honda the instructions to the dealership was to start swapping out components. My question is where is the Honda quality control? How does it leave the factory with out being fully checked out? I was a previous long time Harley owner and while the Harley's have their issues for sure, I have never driven one off the the dealership floor where everything didn't work as it was supposed to.

I have gone from excitement to being disillusioned. In the back of my mind I am wondering is if this is just the beginning of issues with this bike. I am curious if this is an isolated instance or if others have had the same problem. What recourse do I have?

I confess to be confused about what the bike is doing/not doing -- and which control is being used to change 'mode' from Nav.

The 'Mode' switch, on front side of RH handlebar changes the riding Modes - Tour (which is default each time started), to Sport, Rain and Econ.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It would be the dial in the middle of the center console or the up and down arrows on the left handle bar. Don't be discouraged, I also rode Harley's for 20 years, and this goldwing is WAY better, I would never go back.

·
15 year Member
6,899 Posts
I would be suspect of the dealership.... Honda rarely sends a defective unit out...

Mattbcnv

·
Registered
471 Posts
Bummer.

Honda is highly motivated to take good care of their Gold Wing customers.
They want you happy, and will cover everything needed to get you on the road.
But since this is an electrical problem on a new model, it may take a bit more time to solve.

See if the dealer is willing to sell you accessories for cost, or cut you a great deal on installation labor to help ease the pain, or maybe they will cover the cost of your first service. Couldn't hurt to ask for some compensation.

Just take the long view, and know that you will have many, many years of riding enjoyment ahead.

In the mean time, call Honda in Torrance to open a complaint.
This will ensure that everyone in the chain of command will be aware of your troubles.

Honda Customer Service,Motorcycle Division,
American Honda Motor Co., Inc.,
P.O. Box 2200,
mailstop: 100-4C-7B,
Torrance, CA 90509-2200.
Telephone: (866) 784-1870.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
If the issue continues to persist, I would inform the dealer that I have no confidence with this bike and request a replacement. I feel they can solve it later or return it to Honda.

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
did you take delivery of the bike?

if no - they should bring in another bike for you

if yes - why did you accept a bike that had an issue? if you are riding it, your dealer should take care of it

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Honda Tech was there today and he couldn't figure it out. They will transfer the skin to another new 2018 tomorrow and apologized like crazy. Gave the first service free.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Two weeks ago my dealer here in Belgium had a brand new DCT that ,when he test ride it, would only switch in first gear. No possibility to switch to second gear in all modes. Even manual. The client received a week later another bike by Honda. But the dealer must repair the bike, he does not send it back to Honda Benelux what means he will sell this bike once repaired.

·
Registered
279 Posts
After the dealer installed some accessories for me the center jog dial quit working.
The handlebar control still worked.
Honda replaced the entire unit and now it works fine.
I suppose the tech broke something taking the center unit out to put some electronics in (I had fog lights, trunk light, little side entry light, rear rack and extra brake light all installed.)

This dealer (closest one by far) has had a lot of turnover in service and I may go somewhere else for future service.
I bought my NC700 at another Honda dealer and they have been great.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts