GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after the first three weeks of ownership of a 2021 GW Tour DCT and 1400 miles on the clock, here are some of my observations coming from a 2015 GW, ABS. Nav. (which I will retain).

This is the first motorcycle of many I have bought over the last 15 years where I didn't feel the immediate need to change the factory seat. (BMWs 4, FJRs 3, Kawa Connie 1, Goldwing). I added the factory optional backrest (actually a pretty cheaply made device. Flimsy would be the better word). After many hours in the saddle there is no fatigue, etc. So I will keep it.
The riding position (arm reach and knee angle) are VERY comfortable compared to, for instance, BMW. Any and all of them!

Closer observation of the hardware fasteners, like oil (3 drain plugs!! 2 filters!)/ finale drive, chassis bolts and nuts, all appear downsized, smaller, less substantial and downright flimsy. The plastics tupperware is thinner than previous GWs and there is much more of it. All around the engine, etc. The "chromed mufflers" are fake, ill fitting, very thin sheet metal covers that rattle when you touch them. Nowhere near the quality of the "old" wings.
Several cowling bolts were simply missing when the bike was delivered, causing rattles and general looseness of the entire front facia. The dealers comment was "gee we are very sorry, but the bikes come to us completely assembled from Honda." A fact that I can dispute. A broken grommet behind the cylinder cover caused it to bulge out forcing disassembly and replacement.

As with my previous GWs, the engine is first rate, strong and smooth (6 cylinders remains the pinnacle of motorcycle engineering). The DCT is a masterpiece. It does take considerable time to get used to its finer points, though. I don't mean getting started and driving off into the horizon, but the intricacies of its shift modes and settings to arrive at your favorite combination. The electronics are first rate compared to the "older" 21 year old version on the previous Gen 2 and 3. There are some strange "Japanese?" quirks to it, but alas, one gets used to them and they become second nature rather quickly.

And even though Max from Traxxion keeps touting his "superior" suspension upgrades, I am quite satisfied with the OEM setup. This is a touring machine, after all?? As written up elsewhere it's not my first concern. Now when the OEM setup fails, as it will, like any suspension system over time, maybe then its time for Max.

So much for my first cursory glances. YMMV

·
Registered
61 Posts
How's your fuel economy? I read a couple of posts on FB that the 21 was getting noticeably lower numbers (like 38-ish mpg). With the smaller tank that would be a real issue.

·
Premium Member
19,614 Posts
The bike gets 40-50 mpg

Plastic on 18+ is thinner-too save weight

Reactions: Pappy35

·
Premium Member
2020 white 6 speed manual tour Galveston, Tx
1,293 Posts
My 20, 6-speed manual I've been all over West Virginia to Texas to Arkansas averaging high-40s

Reactions: Pappy35

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,340 Posts
The plastic doesnt seem all that thinner to me when I had my 2018 apart...but one thing is clear..this bike has a much tighter build with no where near the creaking plastic the old model had.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,340 Posts
I actually liked the OEM seat at first..I remember feeling the seat foam forming around my butt on my first few rides...but then after the first 1k miles or so the seat became a torture device after around 70 miles...tried my seat beads and bought a sheep skin and they were no help at all...glad to read some are liking the the OEM seat..but I would take some serious rides before going on a road trip..nothing kills the fun on a road trip more than a bad seat does.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How's your fuel economy? I read a couple of posts on FB that the 21 was getting noticeably lower numbers (like 38-ish mpg). With the smaller tank that would be a real issue.
fuel consumption is different from the old wings. I average above 40 when I keep the speed around 60-65 mph. But at a constant 80 mph the mileage drops like a rock into the high 20s.
On my trike which has the wind coefficient of a barn door at 70 mph I can hardly crack the 30 mark.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It’s the first I’ve heard of anyone liking the seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From the picture in your profile it looks like your GW is sporting the stock seat??

·
Registered
620 Posts
Fuel mileage (which varies from state too state with altitude) on both my 2018 6spd and 21 DCT are an improvement over the 2017 and down models by 4-7 mpg. Last Sunday on a 275 mi ride all interstate @ 77mph (tack @2500-2600 rpm) on the 21 DCT was 42 mpg with average to slight high wind. IMHO this is 👍

·
Registered
61 Posts
<snip>fuel consumption is different from the old wings.<snip>
The gist of the FB posts was "hey, something changed on the '21 'cause my mileage is back to pre-'18 levels..." Sounds like this is happening to you? Sub-38 is not good for a 5.5 gallon tank. In your highway example, you're on your 2021 GL18?

<snip>Last Sunday on a 275 mi ride all interstate @ 77mph (tack @2500-2600 rpm) on the 21 DCT was 42 mpg with average to slight high wind. IMHO this is 👍
Excellent. Yeah, that'll work.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The gist of the FB posts was "hey, something changed on the '21 'cause my mileage is back to pre-'18 levels..." Sounds like this is happening to you? Sub-38 is not good for a 5.5 gallon tank. In your highway example, you're on your 2021 GL18?

Excellent. Yeah, that'll work.
who buys these things for fuel economy anyway??? to me anything over 20 is excellent. Beats my 59 Buick by 10mpg:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: JoeHall

·
Premium Member
4,296 Posts
who buys these things for fuel economy anyway??? to me anything over 20 is excellent. Beats my 59 Buick by 10mpg:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
It's not a problem with fuel economy but with range. When cruising I don't want to have to be constantly thinking about finding a gas station. With a smaller tank, better fuel ecomony is to me critical.

Reactions: Matt(BCNV)

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
It's not a problem with fuel economy but with range. When cruising I don't want to have to be constantly thinking about finding a gas station. With a smaller tank, better fuel ecomony is to me critical.
I am getting 50 to 60 more miles per tank with my 2018 compared to my old 2005.

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
fuel consumption is different from the old wings. I average above 40 when I keep the speed around 60-65 mph. But at a constant 80 mph the mileage drops like a rock into the high 20s.
On my trike which has the wind coefficient of a barn door at 70 mph I can hardly crack the 30 mark.
Just got back from a trip yesterday, averaged 70-80 mph and got 43- 45 mpg.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts