GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this is my first post in the 18 and newer forum. I recently had to put my 14 model down as a young lady turned left in front of me. Front wheel hit the back passenger side of her car as I was sliding by, bent the forks and messed up just about the entire front so the bike was totaled. I ended up with 6 ribs on my left side and left collarbone all busted but could have been worse. Any way I am planning on getting a Blue 2022 non DCT or Airbag model. Any suggestions or thoughts I should know about the new model?? My 14 was my second wing, first one I bought new in 01. When I traded it in 15 for the 14 model the 01 has over 220,000 miles on it. I have demoed a 18 and did like the electric shield. I am looking forward to wireless headsets I am sick of the cords. I am planning on adding several lighting accessories I just wish one company would make all the ones I want so I didnt have a mix mosh of different brands. Thoughts and advice on the new bike would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Wes

· Registered
238 Posts
Don’t forget to post pictures, to show proof of purchase 🧾.

· Premium Member
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT Airbag
3,355 Posts
Ok this is my first post in the 18 and newer forum. I recently had to put my 14 model down as a young lady turned left in front of me. Front wheel hit the back passenger side of her car as I was sliding by, bent the forks and messed up just about the entire front so the bike was totaled. I ended up with 6 ribs on my left side and left collarbone all busted but could have been worse. Any way I am planning on getting a Blue 2022 non DCT or Airbag model. Any suggestions or thoughts I should know about the new model?? My 14 was my second wing, first one I bought new in 01. When I traded it in 15 for the 14 model the 01 has over 220,000 miles on it. I have demoed a 18 and did like the electric shield. I am looking forward to wireless headsets I am sick of the cords. I am planning on adding several lighting accessories I just wish one company would make all the ones I want so I didnt have a mix mosh of different brands. Thoughts and advice on the new bike would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Wes
Wes,
Thank God you're doing ok from the catastrophe you lived through. Cagers sometimes really suck. I had TWO of them pull out in front of me yesterday and by the looks of them from eye to eye, they both thought it was my fault simply because I was there and intereupted their turn. It is what it is. Anyway, Good luck on finding a Blue '22 manual or DCT. Way back in April, I searched 15 states on the phone and not one single dealer had a blue '22 DCT Tour, NOT ONE! So, I stepped back and punted. I ended up with an '18 Tour DCT Airbag with 5,300 on the clock and love it to death.

As for lighting, well, it's really not a big deal if you have to buy from different sources. I received some outstanding advice from a great member on here, Navy Gator, that told me to invest in the Pathfinder Isolator Distribution hub. By doing that, I now have the very simple means of placing anyones lights, turn signals, brake lights and side markers etc, all in one place and with ZERO load on the bikes CANBUS system. It was/is an outstanding game plan. I have added an OEM Honda rack to the trunk and a Pathfinder LED sequential turn signal spoiler light, and a trailer wiring harness to that distribution hub and all of it works flawlessly. I have also added "puddle lights" and a digital volt meter.

The suspension on the new '18's and up is so superior to the older Wings (I've had two other 1800's, an '02 and an '08). The controls are easy to learn and very easy to adapt to. The blue tooth system seems to be just fine and I've had very little problems with it that I didn't cause myself. I hope you find what you're looking for.
Scott

Attachments

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info Scott. Actually I already found a manual non air bag blue 22 in Tennessee.. Just hope my dealer can swap for it. Still going to do a demo ride before buying to make sure I have no issue mentally about riding again. As long as I feel safe riding then I am definitely buying another one!!

Reactions: Kenichi

· Registered
2014 HD FLHTK Ultra Limited, 2003 Honda ST1300A
96 Posts
Hope you are healing well!
I have bought a number of items to add onto my 18 once spring comes.
havent been on a bike since early August as I wrecked my knee (healing)
One set I bought to install is this..

The lights on GW are great, I also have fogs, but adding this to help the cagers see me.
The mirror lights are bright white matching headlight but turn amber sequential when turn signal activated.

Reactions: L8R

· Registered
2,493 Posts
Although you said you had previously demo’d an ‘18 Wing, allow me to offer the following suggestions. These pre-ride ”set up” suggestions will help you maximize your test experience and possibly prevent you from a risky situation resulting from trying to decipher the multitudes of buttons on the fly.

The ‘18+ Wings have an OVERWHELMING number of control buttons and features. To ensure you get to ride the Wing safely and properly, BEFORE YOU TEST RIDE THE WING:
  • Call the dealer and arrange for a Wing knowledgeable staffer give you a ‘walk around’ before you ride
  • BEFORE LEAVING THE PARKING LOT, have the staffer set up the bike like this::
    • Tour Mode, 1 Rider No Luggage (or 2 Riders No Luggage, depending on whether you’re testing with or without passenger)
    • Turn Cruise Control ON so you don’t have to look for the On/Off switch while riding
    • Turn Radio OFF (mute) so it doesn’t distract you
    • Turn GPS ON so you can see it working
    • If DCT, switch to AUTOMATIC, have staffer show you how to switch to MANUAL
    • Find the windscreen up/down button so you can adjust on the fly
    • Find the universally detested location of the horn button
With the Wing set up thusly, you can SAFELY go on your demo ride without having to figure out how to make adjustments while riding. It takes quite a while for most owners to learn the dizzying array of buttons and functions.

Also, try the Walking Speed Forward/Reverse in the parking lot.

Have fun!

Tim

· Registered
2021 6 speed Wing, 2021 Kawasaki Z900RS, 2019 Road Glide
2,846 Posts
Good luck finding a blue version. I looked for months and only one showed up in my area (several large multi-line dealers and a high volume Goldwing dealer). I finally had to get a used '21.

· Registered
2018 Goldwing Tour DCT
1,117 Posts
Welcome to the Gen 6 world.

Read the owners manual.

Here is a link to the list of all the various major accessories options with links to each manufacture and often to the product. Good Hunting!

If you are going to add more than two electrical farcles, make sure to get an isolator. Gen 6 bikes are computer managed so you can't mess with the electrical system like you did with earlier models.
Here is a link to a post (#7) that describes the big three isolator options. Pathfinder, Show Chrome, and Electrical Connection

As @carolinarider10 @Snowmoer will point out, if you only want power for accessories such as GPS, crash cams, heated gear but not lights using run, brake, or turn signals, then Rowe Electronic's Amplink or PDM 60 and Fuseblock's FZ-1 are also options to the big 3 above. None of these three products are capable of controlling lights nor come with a wiring harness needed to integrate with the bike. You can run these 3 simultaneously with the Big 3...but why?

If you ride with a group that is running Mesh comms, then buy the brand of headset they are using. Sena and Cardo are not compatible. J&M doesn't have mesh.
If you don't anticipate group riding, then choose the headset that works for you.
My synopsis
Sena - best at making and maintaining connections, audio quality is excellent, noise cancellation is good, plays well with CB
Cardo - best at noise cancellation, audio quality is excellent, connections are good but range is shorter, CB issues
J&M - excellent at making and maintaining connections, audio quality and noise cancellation are average, plays well with CB

Choose your comms set up based on your needs - ACP and AA can be a game changer for some, PITA for others.
Learn your comms start up sequence and the best practices to make it work consistently (ACC vice off at fuel stops)
There are pinned posts about both in the 2018+ forum. Great comments in the posts too.

Best Practice: Trickle charge your battery when not riding.

If you do your own installs or maintenance - this diagram will help you get the bolts, pins, and screws back in the right places. It most likely matters. And get Fred's maintenance videos.....

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the info.. As for the demo ride I just want to clarify that is solely to see if I feel ok riding again. I am not wanting to demo to see how the bike handles, already done that its more to see if mentally I have any feelings of being scared or not in a good mental state to be riding. For any of you who have had to deal an accident like this I am sure you know where I am coming from. I just dont want to buy something and find out I am not 100% comfortable, mentally, riding!! When talking about lighting I will probably go with only plug and play kind and the only accessory I plan on adding that is not some kind of light is the pig tail for my heated gear. My phone will stay where it belongs which is in the trunk!!! To many other distractions out there for me to be adding my own phone to the mix. I am VERY blunt and passionate about my total disdain for those who put others lives at risk by being selfish and using their devices while driving.

Reactions: Gnarly

· Registered
2018 Goldwing Tour DCT
1,117 Posts
Thanks for all the info.. As for the demo ride I just want to clarify that is solely to see if I feel ok riding again. I am not wanting to demo to see how the bike handles, already done that its more to see if mentally I have any feelings of being scared or not in a good mental state to be riding. For any of you who have had to deal an accident like this I am sure you know where I am coming from. I just dont want to buy something and find out I am not 100% comfortable, mentally, riding!! When talking about lighting I will probably go with only plug and play kind and the only accessory I plan on adding that is not some kind of light is the pig tail for my heated gear. My phone will stay where it belongs which is in the trunk!!! To many other distractions out there for me to be adding my own phone to the mix. I am VERY blunt and passionate about my total disdain for those who put others lives at risk by being selfish and using their devices while driving.
Understand about checking your emotional readiness to ride. In your circumstances I would do the same to protect myself and others.

Lighting- if you are going to have more than two sets of lights- regardless of brand- you will likely need an isolator. If you mix brands you will have to have an isolator. EC isolator and distro system can support plug and play for the major brands
Pig tail off the battery for heated gear won’t mess with the electrical system

Understand your perspective about technology being a distraction. It sure can be.
My approach is libertarian - my opinion of others is not their business and nor is it my business to tell them what I think of them and their choices.
Cheers
Navy Gator - FCC(SW) before going LDO

Reactions: fla_rider

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Gator I was an FTC/SS !!! I like to live and let live but when how others decide to live can cause me harm thats when I have problem with it. Here in Tennessee we have a hand free law but its a secondary offense and the fine is a measly 50 bucks. I spoke to several of my state legislators and suggested they make it a primary offense and the first fine is 250 and 3 points on your license. People are addicted to their phones and the use of them while driving is a full blow epidemic. In the submarine community we implemented safety policies and procedures based on what could happen so to mitigate them happening in the first place. Just my thoughts but enough of this I want my new bike and a NON DCT model.. I want my clutch!!!

Reactions: raw2210

· Registered
238 Posts
anyone can hijack a pic to show you , proves what
I apologize. Since this was a new moto thread, it was meant as humor reference posting some pics of the new motorcycle.

Reactions: gkarasik

· Registered
2018 Goldwing Tour DCT
1,117 Posts
Hey Gator I was an FTC/SS !!! I like to live and let live but when how others decide to live can cause me harm thats when I have problem with it. Here in Tennessee we have a hand free law but its a secondary offense and the fine is a measly 50 bucks. I spoke to several of my state legislators and suggested they make it a primary offense and the first fine is 250 and 3 points on your license. People are addicted to their phones and the use of them while driving is a full blow epidemic. In the submarine community we implemented safety policies and procedures based on what could happen so to mitigate them happening in the first place. Just my thoughts but enough of this I want my new bike and a NON DCT model.. I want my clutch!!!
No worries Wes. This ol' skimmer is very familiar with SUBSAFE. Kudos to you for your legislative advocacy. Reducing distracted driving and riding is a great thing.

Good luck on finding an electric Blue manual...I hope you aren't looking for a unicorn. Fingers crossed for you.

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Actually I already found one here in my home state. I am in Chattanooga and its at a Honda shop outside of Knoxville.

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well turns out they didnt have it but I found one in upper Michigan!!! They said they will do a dealer to dealer trade!! I sure hope so otherwise I will have to put a deposit on it and wait till it warms a bit to go get it. A little too cold for me in that part of the country to be riding!!! Yep I draw the line for rides over 100 miles at 15 degrees!!! lol

Reactions: Jefro1
1 - 20 of 41 Posts