GL1800Riders Forums banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

· Registered
514 Posts
Good luck with the new Wing.
You may want to consider adding a Kisan Headlight Modulator.
It really gets attention, and might stop someone turning into you in the future.

· Registered
2020 DCT Tour, Red/Black
1,158 Posts
Legal in all 50 states.
An Ambulance driver stopped me, one day at Walmart lot and asked me turned it off. I said, NOPE. I rather have it on, then lay in the back of your pretty Ambulance. Keep the bed for someone else. I told him, totally legal during the day time. He asked for my full name and number, he dam$ wrote it down. " You might hear from me later on" Be my guest, I said. Never till today.....Ding Dong !!!!

· Registered
2022 non-tour
84 Posts
I know modulators bring attention to you but not always in a good way. For instance a car driver could misinterpret it as you signaling them to pull left in front of you. IIRC Helen Two Wheels was in an accident because of riding with, and just ahead of, another bike that had one flashing. They were in the right lane and as a large truck was passing them it pulled back over over in the right lane before it was past Helen. When the driver glanced in his mirror and saw the light flashing he thought the bike was signaling that he was past and free to move back to the right lane. Helen, who was also pulling a trailer, had to swerve off the road and crashed.

· Registered
2020 DCT Tour, Red/Black
1,158 Posts
I know modulators bring attention to you but not always in a good way. For instance a car driver could misinterpret it as you signaling them to pull left in front of you. IIRC Helen Two Wheels was in an accident because of riding with, and just ahead of, another bike that had one flashing. They were in the right lane and as a large truck was passing them it pulled back over over in the right lane before it was past Helen. When the driver glanced in his mirror and saw the light flashing he thought the bike was signaling that he was past and free to move back to the right lane. Helen, who was also pulling a trailer, had to swerve off the road and crashed.
I mean, yes....in some case, I do see drivers in front of me go into a panic mode a bit and they pull over. So, agreed. It could be tricky at times.

· Registered
2022 non-tour
84 Posts
I imagine they do more good than harm because being seen is a good thing but a big bike such as a Goldwing, in daylight, with high beams on, is pretty visible. I think hi-viz or bright white helmets help as well. Probably the biggest thing is lane position and paying close attention.

· Registered
2020 DCT Tour, Red/Black
1,158 Posts
I imagine they do more good than harm because being seen is a good thing but a big bike such as a Goldwing, in daylight, with high beams on, is pretty visible. I think hi-viz or bright white helmets help as well. Probably the biggest thing is lane position and paying close attention.
Yes....well, the drivers can forgive us on this issue. I,actually always have Hi-Viz jacket on and I have a yellow LED stripe sawed in the back, by my shoulder blades and another LED, small SQ. blinking red/white, over it. All reachable via USB. Yes....I am a Christmas, at night. 🍷 🍷 🍷 :p:p:p

· Registered
10,024 Posts
An Ambulance driver stopped me, one day at Walmart lot and asked me turned it off. I said, NOPE. I rather have it on, then lay in the back of your pretty Ambulance. Keep the bed for someone else. I told him, totally legal during the day time. He asked for my full name and number, he dam$ wrote it down. " You might hear from me later on" Be my guest, I said. Never till today.....Ding Dong !!!!
I had some firefighters stop me on a residential road, same issue, I sent them to school. lol
One of the guys was a rider himself, said he has never heard of modulation headlight. He has now.:):)

· Registered
10,024 Posts
There has been cars pull off from a side street and run into the side of a school bus.
Dont ever assume cagers can see you.

· Registered
10,024 Posts
White helmets are a plus, Black motorcycles, riders in all black, blend into the roadway. Not recommended. JMHO

· Registered
2022 Blackwing Tour 6sp, Harley CVO Ultra - NW Chicago Burbs
708 Posts
Ambulance Drivers NEVER have the authority to pull over a motorist in any jurisdiction. You have ZERO obligation to stop or provide them ANY information. Certainly, if they can catch your plate, they can report you, but you have no obligation to entertain anything that spews out of their faces.

· Registered
2020 DCT Tour, Red/Black
1,158 Posts
Ambulance Drivers NEVER have the authority to pull over a motorist in any jurisdiction. You have ZERO obligation to stop or provide them ANY information. Certainly, if they can catch your plate, they can report you, but you have no obligation to entertain anything that skews out of their faces.
(y) (y) (y) I ,honesty was not in the mood that day to bring in fireworks at all cost. He was just a D....B !!!! In the end of the day, while his uniform on, we are nothing, till we are something. Its life. I knew he had no chance here. All good. I respect what they do. 🍷🍷🍷🍷

· Registered
213 Posts
I don’t see many modulators on bikes here in southern CA. In fact I can say they are rare. Nobody asked me, but I tend to think of modulators the same as loud pipes. Yes they can help you be noticed but they do tend to piss people off. If I looked behind and saw a bike with modulator coming up I would first think it was a LEO or other official bike. Once he passed by and I saw he was just a geezer on a Goldwing, I may have a moment of Who Does He Think He Is?

· Registered
2020 DCT Tour, Red/Black
1,158 Posts
I don’t see many modulators on bikes here in southern CA. In fact I can say they are rare. Nobody asked me, but I tend to think of modulators the same as loud pipes. Yes they can help you be noticed but they do tend to piss people off. If I looked behind and saw a bike with modulator coming up I would first think it was a LEO or other official bike. Once he passed by and I saw he was just a geezer on a Goldwing, I may have a moment of Who Does He Think He Is?
Spot on, boss, however if I can be direct here......I don't care. Let all be mad, AS LONG AS they SEE ME while they are doing everything and anything in the car WHILE driving :geek: :geek: :geek: 🍷🍷🍷

· Registered
2022 Blackwing Tour 6sp, Harley CVO Ultra - NW Chicago Burbs
708 Posts
Geezer on a Goldwing? You are projecting again! lol. Please do not perpetuate this unfounded stereo type.

· Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
9,300 Posts
There's no doubt that a headlight makes us more visible, but there's no evidence that a modulated headlight makes us more visible than an unmodulated headlight. You're spot on that "modulators make us more visible" is the same as "loud pipes save lives": They're beliefs people conflate with and state as facts.

· Registered
213 Posts
Yeah I don’t begrudge the use of modulators. After all, they are rare in my neck of woods. We get to legally split lanes here, and the car/truck drivers are very polite about this. Mostly they move out of our way as we zoom thru. In other states where I’ve split a lane here and there the ever so friendly car drivers spit and throw open their car doors on you. So I try to think in terms of being friendly out on the roads. We get back what we put out.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts